View Full Version : LSSU List of Banished Words

AngelicaDeAlquezar
January 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have just learnt that every New Year's Day, the Lake Superior State University publishes a List of Banished Words (http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php). This list includes those words and expressions that "should" be thrown away from English language.

I could definitely start a similar list for those expressions, words and constructions that sound terrible in Spanish and are overused according to the latest fashion. :D

Perikles
January 19, 2011, 03:13 AM
I'm surprised that the list is so short, and I see that they haven't reached the UK yet, except for Google and Facebook. Let's hope they are killed before they do. :rolleyes:

AngelicaDeAlquezar
January 19, 2011, 07:08 AM
These are just the "winners" for 2009, as it is an anual list. But there is also a link to the whole list (http://www.lssu.edu/banished/complete_list.php), which is muuch longer. :D

poli
January 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
I added one to the list: shrimps scampi

Hyaline
January 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
What's wrong with shrimps scampi? :)

Chris
January 23, 2011, 07:10 AM
I think these would be good candidates:

Actual or actually. This was overused a few years ago and it drove me nuts.
"Actually it's an actual blah blah" said one Australian on the DIY network. My head "literally" exploded.

One should/must
I hate this. One should stop it... It's not "wrong" I guess but I still hate it.

Read more after the break.
This one drives me nuts and it's on EVERY SINGLE THING I READ ONLINE!

Perikles
January 23, 2011, 07:59 AM
One should stop it... It's not "wrong" I guess but I still hate it. Why do you actually hate it? Actually, one uses it all the time. :D

Chris
January 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
Why do you actually hate it? Actually, one uses it all the time. :D

One does not know why one does not like some things. One only knows that it bothers one. lol

Perikles
January 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
One does not know why one does not like some things. One only knows that it bothers one. lolActually, you are quite right. And to be honest, one thing I actually hate just about more than anything else is actually this ridiculous habit of finishing a sentence with lol. :yuck: :D

AngelicaDeAlquezar
January 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
What's wrong with shrimps scampi? :)

Unnecessary repetition of plural nouns? :thinking:

poli
January 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
Unnecessary repetition of plural nouns? :thinking:
That's right shrimps scampi is shrimps shrimps. Very silly. Also latte
when you order coffee with steamed milk. Latte just means milk but in American coffee house jerga, it's a coffee drink.:rolleyes:

PS I know it's foolish to be a language purist, becuase sophisticated language is perhaps the most unpure thing in the world, but nevertheless I am.

pjt33
January 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
Also latte when you order coffee with steamed milk. Latte just means milk but in American coffee house jerga, it's a coffee drink.:rolleyes:
Cuando estuve en Inglaterra en enero vi en un "restaurante" que vendían "panini's and soup". Cuenta los errores.

poli
January 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
Cuando estuve en Inglaterra en enero vi en un "restaurante" que vendían "panini's and soup". Cuenta los errores.
:lol:Pretentiousness is fun, but it can really make a fool out of pretenders if they are not careful.

In the United States (a I think UK too) the word cuisine is awfully popular.
I'm sure you know it's French for kitchen. We have Chinese cuisine,
Cuban cuisine, Thai cuisine..., and most people don't know what it means. What's wrong with the word kitchen?:lol:

CrOtALiTo
January 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Poli.

I read minutely your post, bu I can't understand your commentary, please explain me.

What does cuisine means?

I have used that word but as a said in my life, for example it has been used when you see to a person a little fat.

Regards.

poli
January 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
Cuisine significa cocina en francés.

AngelicaDeAlquezar
January 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
Mixing languages (wrongly) is a common feature in many restaurants... one can find things like:

Spaghetti's con salsa de pomodoro.
China bistro & bar.
Nuggets de pollo con buffalo.

pjt33
January 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
Nuggets de pollo con buffalo.
¿"Buffalo" aquí refiere a la salsa? Mozzarella no me parece encajar, ni carne de res.

AngelicaDeAlquezar
January 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
Correct. In that restaurant they meant the sauce of course, but it should be "salsa búfalo" (which is the way they write the brand here anyway). Since they read in many places "buffalo wings", they think they can omit "salsa" or "sauce" in all cases. :banghead:

Caballero
January 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
:lol:Pretentiousness is fun, but it can really make a fool out of pretenders if they are not careful.

In the United States (a I think UK too) the word cuisine is awfully popular.
I'm sure you know it's French for kitchen. We have Chinese cuisine,
Cuban cuisine, Thai cuisine..., and most people don't know what it means. What's wrong with the word kitchen?:lol:

For the same reason that we eat pork, and not swine. Norman-French words sound much more elegant.

poli
January 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
Correct. In that restaurant they meant the sauce of course, but it should be "salsa búfalo" (which is the way they write the brand here anyway). Since they read in many places "buffalo wings", they think they can omit "salsa" or "sauce" in all cases. :banghead:
Es correcto que no se usa salsa búfalo porque no se conoce por la
salsa sino la ciudad donde se acuñó la receta. La ciudad es Buffalo, New York.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org