View Full Version : Cultural differences

Iris
May 05, 2008, 02:44 PM
I know we are all westerners and have a lot of things in common. But do you notice many differences when you cross the Atlantic either way? Are Americans very different from Europeans? What are those differences?

Tomisimo
May 05, 2008, 03:46 PM
I actually have never been to any European country, so the only things I could contribute would be hearsay.

poli
May 05, 2008, 06:47 PM
Es muy difícil hablar en generalidad pero me parece que los europeos son mas mundanos, y los américanos llevan mucho de la cultura vernacular del occidente sin saberlo. La cultura norteamericana parece mas joven que la cultura europeo y a veces se ve esa diferencia se ve entre la gente de europa y la gente de américa. Cultura popular y energética y vernacular es mi imagen de américa. Cultura clásica y mundano es mi imagen de europa. América (Estados Unidos por lo menos)es un amalgama de rasas y por eso mas ecléctico. Los europeos son mas auctóctonos y clasico.
Does my blah blah blah make any sense? Generalizations are dangerous

Poli

Iris
May 06, 2008, 01:27 AM
What I find funny is your use of worldly, mundane to describe Europeans. I would like to know why you have that opinion of us. I , for one, am a very saintly lady...

poli
May 06, 2008, 05:40 AM
Mundano might be one of those false friends- words. Mundane is very negative world in English meaning plain and boring and unevently. Worldly is positive in English. Is mundano positive a negative word? When I used mundano, I meant it as a positive word.
I see Europeans as being more worldly because of the great variety of cultures that exist there in a relatively small area. Spain, France, Italy,
Portugal, Britain, Germany are all so close. The U.S. is multicultural too,
but we seem more like an amalgam. Where I live, the variety of languages spoken is surprizing, but the pravailing culture is anglo. For three thousand miles (with obvious regional cultural variences) we are basicly the same culture.
I think a person can be worldly and saintly at the same time. Maria Jose, I never doubted you saintliness. After all you defended yourself, and therefore the world, against Alfonso the dragon.:D

Iris
May 06, 2008, 06:04 AM
Poli,
Mundane in English has two meanings. The one you explained, of course, but it's also a synonym for worldly. I think in Spanish it only means worldly.I liked:love: your dragon metaphor.:cool:Super cool!

poli
May 06, 2008, 06:32 AM
Ten cuidado de la palabra mundane en inglés. Verdaderamente significa cosas cotidianas, nada especial ni diferente. Por ejemplo: En la oficina una conversación de deportes(Wow, a home run in the final inning--that's what clinched it!) o de fotos de un recien nacido (oh, how cute!). En la casa: pasando la aspiradora. En el campo: alimentando los cerdos.
It can mean of the earth(after all that is where the word is derived from) , but of a routine nature both here and in Britain.

Poli

Tomisimo
May 06, 2008, 05:57 PM
The main meaning of mundane in English is insípido, aburrido, cotidiano, regular etc.

I think Europeans are generally more liberal than Americans. Although of course generalizations are dangerous.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org