View Full Version : Advanced Spanish... self-learning? expected skills?

ooo
March 18, 2012, 02:14 AM
I'm trying to finally finish a college degree, but lack the foreign language requirement. I need 3 years worth of Spanish. I've taken college courses up through 3rd year, second semester. I need a 3rd year, 2nd semester level.

Can someone help me figure out what skills are expected of a 3rd year college student in their second semester?

Subjective?
Past perfect?
Other?

I've purchased or borrowed from the library audio lessons, books, textbooks, and video programs. I've refreshed my language knowledge from "Dummis" books and lower level podcasts and audio programs. Now, I'm ready to upgrade my skills and finally gain proficiency.

I have textbooks for 3rd and 4th year college Spanish classes.
I'm trying to self-study them.

Any advice for the "advanced" (well, for college 3rd year) Spanish student?

Rusty
March 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
'Subjective' should be 'subjunctive', I would think.

I'm not familiar with what they are teaching in your college, but I think the textbooks you have will be representative of the material you'll need to know.

You need to be very familiar with all sorts of pronouns.
You need to be very familiar with noun-adjective and subject-verb agreement.

I think you should know how to conjugate verbs in all the indicative tenses, and have a good idea about the subjunctive conjugations.
You should know how to conjugate verbs in the conditional and imperative moods.

Learning when to use the subjunctive is very important. We don't use it very much in American English, but it is very prevalent in Spanish.

The irregular verbs will take you the most time to master.
The pronouns turn out to be a large stumbling block for most students.

You have the advantage of asking questions here. :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org