View Full Version : Dorarle la pastilla

poli
July 28, 2008, 07:11 AM
¿Que significa dorarle la pastilla? I think it means to sugarcoat, but I'm not sure/

Alfonso
July 28, 2008, 07:46 AM
It's more common dorar la píldora, at least in Spain and in the Literature tradition in Spanish.

I don't know what you mean by to sugarcoat.

Dorar la píldora a alguien is hacerle la pelota, halagarle, that's to say, to say beautiful things to someone with the intention to obtain something on return.

poli
July 28, 2008, 07:54 AM
Gracias por explicarme. Adiviné incorrectamente, porque sugarcoat
significa cubrir con azucar para hacer una cosa desagradable mas aceptable.

Alfonso
July 28, 2008, 08:00 AM
Gracias por explicarme. Adiviné incorrectamente, porque sugarcoat
significa cubrir con azucar para hacer una cosa desagradable mas agradableOK, but dorar la pildora has also the meaning you thought, as it was the way on the Middle Ages writers used to cover their moralising writings with tales, jokes, funny or erotic adventures to reach a wider number of readers.

It's a topic from those times: La píldora azucarada más agradable se traga.
And dorar la píldora is something like to put azúcar / oro in something distasteful to swallow.

Tomisimo
July 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
To sugarcoat something may not always be the best translation, but I think it works in many cases.

Alfonso
July 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
So, can you sugarcoat somebody?

Jane
July 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
:eek::eek::yuck::yuck: ...

poli
July 28, 2008, 02:20 PM

No you can't. You butter up a person which might sound vulgar, but it isn't considered very vulgar. It just another way of saying to flatter someone.

You can sugar coat a pill, an idea or concept..

Alfonso
July 28, 2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll try to retain to flatter and to butter up somebody.

So, I guess you can only sugarcoat somebody if you are thinking of eating her / him after.

poli
July 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll try to retain to flatter and to butter up somebody.

So, I guess you can only sugarcoat somebody if you are thinking of eating her / him after.

¿Eres antropófago? ¡Que horror! ¿Piensas quee es mejor azucararles? Aunque no practico canibalismo (aquí se consida tabú) pienso que
ajo y sal sirve mejor para sazonar con vino y champiñones.

Jane
July 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
¿Eres antropófago? ¡Que horror! ¿Piensas quee es mejor azucararles? Aunque no practico canibalismo (aquí se consida tabú) pienso que
ajo y sal sirve mejor para sazonar con vino y champiñones.

You guys are so weird!
I´m almost freaking out...:eek:

Alfonso
July 28, 2008, 03:12 PM
¿Eres antropófago? ¡Qué horror! ¿Piensas que es mejor azucararles? Aunque no practico (el) canibalismo (aquí se consida tabú) pienso que ajo y sal sirve mejor para sazonar con vino y champiñones.Of course, I am. I try everything.

Azucararles is an example of accepted leísmo, as you refer to a male person. Anyway, it's common here in Spain, but I think in Latin America it's much more common to distinguish the direct object from the indirect object, and to say azucararlos.

Tomisimo
July 29, 2008, 12:56 AM
You guys are so weird!
I´m almost freaking out...:eek:
Quizá Alfonso usaba to eat en un sentido más figurado. :eek:

Jane
July 29, 2008, 02:57 AM
Quizá Alfonso usaba to eat en un sentido más figurado. :eek:
Pero... Como qué?:(
Alfonso?

Elaina
July 30, 2008, 01:12 PM
I've always understood "sugarcoat" like this from Mary Poppins....

That a...
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down-down
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way

But what you guys are talking about.......hmmmmmm
David, what do you mean?
:eek::eek:

Alfonso
July 30, 2008, 02:43 PM
I mean the same than you, Elaina:OK, but dorar la pildora has also the meaning you thought, as it was the way on the Middle Ages writers used to cover their moralising writings with tales, jokes, funny or erotic adventures to reach a wider number of readers.

It's a topic from those times: La píldora azucarada más agradable se traga.
And dorar la píldora is something like to put azúcar / oro in something distasteful to swallow.

I've always understood "sugarcoat" like this from Mary Poppins....

That a...
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down-down
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way

But what you guys are talking about.......hmmmmmm
David, what do you mean?
:eek::eek:But, of course, Mary Poppins' example is much better than mine. :applause:

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org