View Full Version : Why is this?

ElDanés
September 17, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hello again, fellow tomísimos! :)

I stumbled upon this sentence:

"Me estoy bajando del taxi."
I'm getting out of the taxi.

But why is me used, and not yo (or at least omitted)?

I don't hope it matters that I post all these small questions from time to time?

Thanks.

ElDanés
September 17, 2008, 07:32 AM
Oh, this one was pretty straightforward!

I had some crazy idea that the word se was an all-around reflexive pronoun no matter persons, but I looked it up, and noticed that it is only used for the third-person singular and plural, and that (to get back to this situation) me is used for the first-person singular.

Rusty
September 17, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yep, you figured it out! Good job.

Bajarse del taxi is the sentence without conjugation. When conjugating the verb into the present progressive tense, you relocate the reflexive pronoun to the front of the verb and it has to agree with the person. You know the rest of the drill.

me estoy bajando
te estás bajando
se está bajando
nos estamos bajando
etc.

ElDanés
September 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
When conjugating the verb into the present progressive tense, you relocate the reflexive pronoun to the front of the verb and it has to agree with the person.
Oh, that's good to know. The course I'm following only includes examples in Spanish (with English translations) and then several different exercises, but no theory. But well, what could I except, it's a free course, and I can always read about the theory on the sideline.

So far the course has only been using the present progressive tense, and that's the reason why the example uses it. The "normal" present tense will be introduced later.

Tomisimo
September 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
... but I looked it up, and noticed that it is only used for the third-person singular and plural, and that (to get back to this situation) me is used for the first-person singular.
"Se" is also the second person singular and plural formal.
(usted) se está bajando...
(ustedes) se están bajando...

The full conjugation would be...
(yo) me bajo
(tú) te bajas
(él) se baja
(ella) se baja
(usted) se baja
(nosotros) nos bajamos
(vosotros) os bajais <== Is that right? :D
(ellos) se bajan
(ellas) se bajan
(ustedes) se bajan

Rusty
September 17, 2008, 12:25 PM
os bajáis
Te faltaba la tilde. :)

Rusty
September 17, 2008, 12:46 PM
So far the course has only been using the present progressive tense, and that's the reason why the example uses it. The "normal" present tense will be introduced later.

I hope your course tells you that you'll use the "normal" present tense much more than the present progressive tense. I like that David listed the full conjugation in the present indicative. You'll use this tense much more frequently than you'll use the present progressive, as I explained in another post.

Me bajo del taxi. = I'm getting out of the taxi.
Me bajo en la próxima esquina. = I get off at the next corner.
Me bajo en la próxima esquina. = I'll get off at the next corner.

I believe the present progressive tense is introduced to English speakers because we can make an immediate connection to it. After all, it has the helping verb and the present participle we're so used to seeing. What a shock it is to learn later that yo estoy yendo is said voy. Why don't they teach the "normal" stuff first?!?

Tomisimo
September 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
os bajáis
Te faltaba la tilde. :)
Muchas gracias :)

CrOtALiTo
September 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
In Spanish the word me is used as for say I in English it's the context of itself, that word is necessary when you want to say something that you are doing or you'll do it, for example you can't to say Yo estoy enfermando, the better way to say it's Me estoy enfermando, couple sentences are almost seem in itself meaning but it does not the same, I hope that I have made the explain as well that you can understand me, if you've more doubt about it, please let me know and I'll be glad in help you.

CrOtALiTo
September 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
How I can translate the word Bajar, as Get out or get off or go down.?

Rusty
September 17, 2008, 06:56 PM
How I can translate the word Bajar, as Get out or get off or go down.?

All three. :) It depends on the context.

Bajar can mean:
to download (un archivo, una foto)
to get out of something (del taxi)
to get off of something (de caballo, bicicleta)
to get off something (de avíón, tren)
to go/come down (por las escaleras)
to go out (la marea)
to go down (la fiebre)
to fall/drop/go down (el precio, valor)
to deteriorate (la calidad)
to diminish (la popularidad)
to lower/put down (la mano, brazo)
to get something down from something (la mesa)
to turn down (el volumen)
to bow (la cabeza)

Tomisimo
September 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
There are probably even a few others you can add to that list Rusty, for example: to lower.

Rusty
September 17, 2008, 08:21 PM
There are probably even a few others you can add to that list Rusty, for example: to lower.

Yeah, there are others. Lower is fourth-from-the-bottom. :)

Tomisimo
September 17, 2008, 08:37 PM
Can't believe I missed that. I must need to get my eyesight checked. :)

ElDanés
September 17, 2008, 10:44 PM
I hope your course tells you that you'll use the "normal" present tense much more than the present progressive tense. I like that David listed the full conjugation in the present indicative. You'll use this tense much more frequently than you'll use the present progressive, as I explained in another post.
I'm fully aware of this. The first thing I did was to learn all the conjugations, including the subjunctives, and then how each tense is used on my own. Now I'm only using the course to get to know how to tell time, the different numbers, get some words into my vocabulary, idioms, etc. and not all the more grammatical stuff.

Rusty
September 18, 2008, 05:40 AM
It's good to know the role of the present indicative tense. My ramblings aren't always directed at you personally. It's my hope that other English speakers trying to learn Spanish will have learned something, too. :)

Jane
September 18, 2008, 06:35 AM
It's my hope that other English speakers trying to learn Spanish will have learned something, too. :)

Absolutely, Rusty. Not only from this thread, but from all the others.
Which is why these days I have fewer questions. I just log in, read/study and learn.:D

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org