View Full Version : Calcetín

DailyWord
September 23, 2008, 03:26 AM
This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word (http://daily.tomisimo.org/) for September 23, 2008

calcetín - masculine noun (el) - sock, stocking. Look up calcetín in the dictionary (http://www.tomisimo.org/dictionary/spanish_english/calcetin)

Es desagradable usar un calcetín roto.
Socks with holes in them are not very comfortable.

ruby
September 24, 2008, 05:19 AM
In England we have a saying which is
'Put a sock in it' which means 'shut up' (I think it is a regional saying' - in Spanish would this be obstruir or cerrar la boca ???? or do you have a similiar saying?

Ruby

sosia
September 24, 2008, 05:57 AM
"cierra el pico" perhaps??

Rusty
September 24, 2008, 07:33 AM
I agree with Sosia.
I've added this and related sayings to the idiom dictionary.

CrOtALiTo
September 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
Shut up in Mexico, I'd believe that it's well sad.

Tomisimo
September 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
Shut up in Mexico, I'd believe that it's well sad.
I'm not sure what you mean. :(

CrOtALiTo
September 24, 2008, 02:05 PM
Shut is, callate in English right, well I don't very sure that it's very said so.

Rusty
September 24, 2008, 03:22 PM
"Shut up!" is used in English in much the same way as you would use "¡Cállate!"

CrOtALiTo
September 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, I said it, before. regards.

Elaina
September 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
I was interpreting for a patient once who came from a very rural area in Mexico, little education (not meaning it in a disrespectful way) but a very, very nice person. She told me that she was told by her parents that it is very disrespectful to tell someone to "shut up" "cállate" (which is usually accompanied by "la boca" or more vulgar "el osico"), especially in front of others so what they opted for was........

"Véte a ver si ya puso la puerca" which meant to shut up and leave!:eek:

Do I need to explain it:?::?:

Tomisimo
September 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
Se escribe el hocico ¿no?

sosia
September 26, 2008, 05:33 AM
I was interpreting for a patient once who came from a very rural area in Mexico, little education (not meaning it in a disrespectful way) but a very, very nice person. She told me that she was told by her parents that it is very disrespectful to tell someone to "shut up" "cállate" (which is usually accompanied by "la boca" or more vulgar "el osico"), especially in front of others so what they opted for was........

"Véte a ver si ya puso la puerca" which meant to shut up and leave!:eek:

Do I need to explain it:?::?:

First. Like David, says, its "hocico".
"Osico" or "Osito" means little bear.

"Cállate la boca" "Cierra esa bocaza" "Cierra el pico" are common expresions.
I have never heard "Véte a ver si ya puso la puerca" sound odd (I would say "vete a ver si ya puso la gallina". But there are lot's of expresions that way
"Vete a la cocina/salón/habitación a ayudar a tu madre/tu hermano"
"¿No tenías tarea que hacer?"
"Vete a que te de un poco el aire"
saludos :D

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org