View Full Version : Tenedor

DailyWord
September 28, 2008, 04:11 AM
This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word (http://daily.tomisimo.org/) for September 28, 2008

tenedor - masculine noun (el) - fork. Look up tenedor in the dictionary (http://www.tomisimo.org/dictionary/spanish_english/tenedor)

Aunque mucha gente prefiere usar tenedor, él siempre quiere su cuchara.
Although most people would rather use a fork, he always wants a spoon.

CrOtALiTo
September 28, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, I don'like the forks, it'are very dangerous for the children's in the house, when my children's will eat, I procure don't give them a forks, better I give them, spoon that is more easy of use and less dangerous.

Tomisimo
September 28, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, I don't like the forks, it' they are very dangerous for the children's in the house. When my children's will eat, I procure don't try not to give them a forks, better instead, I give them a spoon that is more easy of easier to use and less dangerous.

Cuando hablas de una cosa en general--

El tenedor es peligroso.
El mango no se da a estas alturas.
La servilleta fue inventada por don Servilla.

Se usa el singular en español y el plural en inglés

Forks are dangerous.
Mangoes don't grow at this elevation.
Napkins were invented by Mr Napkin.

También children ya es el plural, no puedes usar children's como plural (es correcto como el posesivo).

CrOtALiTo
September 28, 2008, 10:58 PM
Okis, thanks David, as I told you before, the forks are dangerous, I prefer don't give forks to my children, I prefer give them spoons, they are easier of use, as my children are very younger, they could to hurt themselves, I'm grateful with you, because you have corrected to me in my last post, in really I try to do the best possible of haven't got mistake in my post, but sometimes, I forgot the words in English and I have that find them in your dictionary, it has helped me a lot, sometimes in my attempt of write very fast my post, because I know English, I have endeavored a lot in my learning in English, but I think that sometimes is impossible recorder all the words, that I have learnt during all this time, you apologize me if sometimes you don't understand my post, but in really I have made my great endeavor in leart, I believe that I get bettered in my attempt to do it, this post is another practice, it was only a motive of write something of practice, I know that, I have made mistakes, but I don't care because I know that I did my great endeavor in write this text.

Have a good night.

Mariel
September 29, 2008, 05:39 AM
Tenedor is fork in English (just saying it again ^_^)... and it is slightly the same in Tagalog which is tinidor, which is obviously from the Spanish tenedor :D

geeper
September 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
Mis hijos gustan el spaghetti. No pueden comer spaghetti con el cuchara. Ellos necesitan el tenedor. :)

Rusty
September 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
(first sentence corrected below) No pueden comer espaguetis con la cuchara. Ellos necesitan el tenedor. :)

A mis hijos les gustan los espaguetis.
The verb gustar doesn't mean to like. A closer translation is to be pleasing to.
When I've more time I'll post a long write-up about this verb. For now, I'll explain the changes to your sentence.

First off, spaghetti is actually a plural word in Italian (singular form is spaghetto). In English, spaghetti is both singular and plural. In Spanish, however, it has both a singular form - el espagueti - and a plural form - los espaguetis. The plural form is usually used, unless your kids eat only a single spaghetti noodle.

After converting the English construct, it'll be more like we're saying:
Spaghetti is pleasing to them (my children).
The Spanish construct rearranges word order (and function). The English subject (spaghetti) is still used as such, but may begin or end the sentence. The English object (my children) is converted into an indirect object pronoun (them). And, since this is usually inadequate to describe the object itself, a prepositional phrase is added to clarify the IOP.

I placed the prepositional phrase first. It doesn't have to go first, but that is where I placed it. The prepositional phrase clarifies the next word, les, which is an indirect object pronoun. It answers the question to whom is it pleasing. It is pleasing to them (my children) - les. The verb follows the IOP. Its ending agrees with the subject, which follows the verb in the sentence I wrote. It doesn't have to follow the verb. The subject is plural (spaghetti is a plural word), so the 3rd person plural ending is used in the verb.

CrOtALiTo
September 29, 2008, 02:50 PM
It was a explain very exact, I think was a little hard of understand it, but I think that, I have that read him again, because I haven't got very clear it.

Jessica
September 29, 2008, 03:20 PM
Most of the time I use a spoon. I hardly use a fork.

CrOtALiTo
September 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, I don't use forks, use that is hard, because when you want to eat very fast the forks difficult the eat or take all the food, I prefer use spoons with that I can to take well the food.

The best choice is use spoons, it is less difficult of use.

geeper
September 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Rusty. That was very helpful. I also found a good explanation here.

http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/gustar.htm
(http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/gustar.htm)

Rusty
September 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks Rusty. That was very helpful. I also found a good explanation here.

http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/gustar.htm
(http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/gustar.htm)

You're welcome! :)

Yep, I've been to that site before. I've got a much larger explanation I can share with you. It delves into all the uses of the verb (other than just 3rd person). If you'd like, I can send it to you via a private message.

geeper
September 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
I don't want to cause you any extra work but if you already have it typed up, I'd love to see it.

Rusty
September 30, 2008, 12:45 PM
I sent this, as you've already noticed. Have fun! :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org