View Full Version : Good references

Jessica
October 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
I need help on finding any kind of reference to William Shakespeare and the book Frankenstein. Also, is there a good music lyric I can use that contains a reference to an author or work?

You don't need to give me direct answers. You can give me links that can help me.

Gracias.

Tomisimo
October 30, 2008, 09:06 PM
You might start with a Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/) search.

ElDanés
October 30, 2008, 11:36 PM
Yep, Wikipedia would be a good place to start. Many of the pages on famous persons (or fictional characters) have a sub-chapter regarding them in popular culture/media. There you can find some examples of works where they have been referred to, etc.

Jessica
October 31, 2008, 05:27 AM
but what does it mean by "reference'???

Planet hopper
October 31, 2008, 07:14 AM
Being 14, Jchen, I would refer Shakespeare to the movie 'Shakespeare in love', it's gorgeous.
Frankestein: I would refer it nowadays to the series on Terminator, particularly to the robots being humanised, as Cameron in 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'. In a way, Frankestein is considered the first human-like robot in literature.

I love literature :)

poli
October 31, 2008, 07:53 AM
Being 14, Jchen, I would refer Shakespeare to the movie 'Shakespeare in love', it's gorgeous.
Frankestein: I would refer it nowadays to the series on Terminator, particularly to the robots being humanised, as Cameron in 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'. In a way, Frankestein is considered the first human-like robot in literature.

I love literature :)

Planethopper and Jchen, Frankenstein's monster had some predessors. In other fictions, there was the golem and the homunculus and probably others.

Jchen, Shakespeare is well represented in music in various operas. There's a really funny more contemprrary song called Brush up your Shakespeare You will find it lyrics in the internet. It's from Kiss Me Kate which is a Broadway musical that includes the plot of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. Another Broadway musical called West Side Story paraphrases
Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. There's tons more. Shakepeare's greatness looms large and influences us every day even in what we say.

Rusty
October 31, 2008, 09:42 AM
Any reference to ...
This could mean drawing attention to someone, or something. You've already referenced William Shakespeare or the book Frankenstein, if you use this definition.
Any article that refers to them, or references them, also suffices when this meaning is applied. As mentioned already, Wikipedia would be a good source.

Another meaning of reference is to quote from.
Wikipedia is a good source for these types of references, too. All you need to do is find an article that quotes Shakespeare or the book Frankenstein.

Yet another meaning of reference is to bookmark, or footnote things in an article. This is probably not what you're being asked to do.

Tomisimo
October 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
Do you have to find a reference to Shakespeare in the book Frankenstein? Or do you have to find references to both Shakespeare and Frankenstein anywhere?

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org