View Full Version : Some new members never post

Jessica
November 14, 2008, 05:24 AM
I've noticed that only about 316 members are active out of the total 877 (approx. sometimes it goes up) Some people just join and never come on.

sosia
November 14, 2008, 05:36 AM
It's the same everywhere, except schools :D

CrOtALiTo
November 14, 2008, 06:23 AM
Yes, not all the new members or people sigh on in the website come on in inside of the website or posting something.

Jessica
November 14, 2008, 06:24 AM
and also a whole bunch of guests are looking at this website and don't seem to join right away. :P

CrOtALiTo
November 14, 2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, you are right, a lot of people join to this website daily but they aren't sign on in right way.

Elaina
November 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
They're probably just "checking us out"!

:eek:

Jessica
November 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know what you mean by "checking us out" but I could understand they are busy. However, sometimes they NEVER EVER come on, like they join today and then never come on. And I don't understand why the guests don't join right away. I guess they are making the decision whether or not to join.

Rusty
November 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
Most of the guests appearing in the list are machines (bots, spiders, and crawlers), not people. Actual people probably do check us out (while making the decision whether to join or not), though. That's how we all joined, right?
Some users register and never participate. Maybe they only registered for the sake of registering.
Some users register and never participate, but they do log on, search and read our posts.
Some users ask a question, but never check back to see what answers they receive.
Then there's the rest of us, ranging from sporadic users to quite active users of the forums.
Para gustos, los colores. :D

Jessica
November 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
bots, spiders and crawlers?? huh?

Rusty
November 15, 2008, 07:14 PM
They're computers, not people. The machines crawl through the internet looking for whatever they're programmed to look for. Some gather information for the major search engines (like Google and Yahoo). Others are machines that post spam on any site they can gain access to. Others are more malicious. We are glad that some are 'just looking' and can't log on.

Planet hopper
November 15, 2008, 09:49 PM
I've seen that our map detects connections from China only through the site of the great China firewall in beijing, a censorship firm owned by Jiang Ze Min's son, built as a mega-proxy for the whole country. That does not happen on other sites with mainland china users, where you can see the province and/or town.

I'm going over the firewall soon, I hope I can read and post from there

:)

PS: Why don't we discuss ways to bring in more registrations? May be a poll? I can also think of an specific section for that, just like a sandbox where newcomers can play and have fun :)

Jessica
November 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
They're computers, not people. The machines crawl through the internet looking for whatever they're programmed to look for. Some gather information for the major search engines (like Google and Yahoo). Others are machines that post spam on any site they can gain access to. Others are more malicious. We are glad that some are 'just looking' and can't log on.

wow so weird! Today I looked at the active users and most were guests but I found 2 that were...spiders.
Yahoo! Slurp Spider
MSNBot Spider

They're going to be gone soon but just saying......it's just......weird. For me. :P o.O
There will also be more....I guess, because I checked again and there was another one...
Google AdSense Spider

Rusty
November 16, 2008, 08:41 AM
I believe most of those designated as a guest are also machines. If you watch their behavior, you'll see that they are methodically (sometimes alphabetically) searching and trying all possible input on each page presented.

CrOtALiTo
November 16, 2008, 11:53 AM
Yes I could to see new users and they never post in this website, later I see them in online but they only are sign on but they intention is give us website of their interest, but I believe that David cans remove these guess or user, if he put a register more strict inside of the website, a lot people that does not post anything interest inside the website, they can't logo on in the website or sign on.

Jessica
November 16, 2008, 12:33 PM
Yes I could to see new users and they never post in this website, later I see them in online but they only are sign on but they intention is give us website of their interest, but I believe that David cans remove these guess or user, if he put a register more strict inside of the website, a lot people that does not post anything interest inside the website, they can't logo on in the website or sign on.

Yes, I could see new users and they never post in this website. Later, I see that they're online, but they are only signed in. They intend to join because of their interest, but I believe that David can remove these guests or users, if he puts a more stricter registration. A lot of people do not post anything interesting in this website, and they shouldn't log in or sign in this website.

:D Corrections above ;) I'm not sure if the revised version is what you meant, Crotalito.

Tomisimo
November 17, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm going over the firewall soon, I hope I can read and post from thereIf you can't, you can always use a proxy. :)

Jessica
November 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
what is a proxy??

Tomisimo
November 18, 2008, 07:43 PM
It's a server the receives requests and forwards them on behalf of the requester.

Jessica
November 20, 2008, 06:27 PM
hmmmmm I still don't really understand sorry :P
o well

María José
November 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
and also a whole bunch of guests are looking at this website and don't seem to join right away. :P
Maybe we are too weird for their liking. Or too clever and they feel intimidated.Or perhaps Sosia's devil makes them think we're into the occult.:wicked::wicked:

María José
November 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
Most of the guests appearing in the list are machines (bots, spiders, and crawlers), not people. Actual people probably do check us out (while making the decision whether to join or not), though. That's how we all joined, right?
Some users register and never participate. Maybe they only registered for the sake of registering.
Some users register and never participate, but they do log on, search and read our posts.
Some users ask a question, but never check back to see what answers they receive.
Then there's the rest of us, ranging from sporadic users to quite active users of the forums.
Para gustos, los colores. :D
Ok, I was not going to do it, but now I have to and it's all your fault: what are spiders and crawlers?:shh:

Rusty
November 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
They are computer programs, to make it easy, that visit site after site on the web looking for whatever they are programmed to look for and doing whatever they are designed to do when they find what they're looking for.
The search engines use them to build their search terms database. For example, they browse through all of our forum entries picking up key words and phrases that they think people would search for. These keywords are added to their database of search terms. That way, when someone googles 'Agree with Rusty', one of the hits they'll get will point them to one of Sosia's posts here in Tomísimo. :eek:
Some spiders and crawlers are designed for malevalent purposes, like spamming, hacking, and the spread of viruses and the like. They try to log on to sites like Tomísimo and post spam in the forums, or do other damage. David, and all web site designers, have to write programs, to make it easy again, that combat these kinds of attacks.

María José
November 23, 2008, 02:44 AM
They are computer programs, to make it easy, that visit site after site on the web looking for whatever they are programmed to look for and doing whatever they are designed to do when they find what they're looking for.
The search engines use them to build their search terms database. For example, they browse through all of our forum entries picking up key words and phrases that they think people would search for. These keywords are added to their database of search terms. That way, when someone googles 'Agree with Rusty', one of the hits they'll get will point them to one of Sosia's posts here in Tomísimo. :eek:
Some spiders and crawlers are designed for malevalent purposes, like spamming, hacking, and the spread of viruses and the like. They try to log on to sites like Tomísimo and post spam in the forums, or do other damage. David, and all web site designers, have to write programs, to make it easy again, that combat these kinds of attacks.
Thanks for explaining.:)

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 08:17 AM

I don't really understand the bolded part.

Great, now there's only 296 active members out of the total 887 -.-

Rusty
November 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
The bolded part means that if you go to google.com and type in the search "agree with rusty," one of the results returned (hits) from your search will turn out to be one of the posts where Sosia says 'Agree with Rusty'. Try it. Just now I tried it. The third hit that came up for me has a URL that starts with forums.tomisimo.org (http://www.forums.tomisimo.org) . If you click on that result, you'll see that an entry that Sosia wrote shows up.
The spiders and crawlers found the entry and dumped the important words into the search engine database.

Tomisimo
November 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
Jessica, try this google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22I+don%27t+really+understand+the+bolded+part%2 2&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=), which is a search for "I don't really understand the bolded part", and the first result is your post from 9:17 this morning. That means that the Google search engine bot came and "indexed" your post. In other words it read your post and included it in the Google database so it can be searched from google.com. So after you post something the bots come and index it making it searchable in the search engines.

Or if you go to google and search for Some new members never come on, you'll get this thread as the first result.

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
oh I get it. Is it bad? Is it bad for this to happen? Like if you get the results that lead to it? Is that bad?

CrOtALiTo
November 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
It's not bad Jessica, to the contrary is good it, because if you don't know about of a thread in specific, you only need write in the search engine of Google or Yahoo, the you need to know, then the search engine will finds the words wrote in the website of worldwide, it work of way very exact and fast, but if you don't understand ever this function of the search engine, I will you a example easier, for example, you imagine in the software of your computer inside of the Windows XP, you in windows has a tool named HELP, if you going the help tool, you can to find any solution above the system, but before you need to write something above the what you need to find, example, you write now, in the help tool, How I can uninstall Real Player, the engine search will find something above the process of uninstall of the same software or another same, and you ask, How does work it, well it's easy, in your system operative there are a data base kept inside of the hardisk or Windows XP or Vista either, then in your help engine work the same to way as Google or Yahoo, or either engine search, you only need imagine that search engines of in the internet there are Servers connected among themselves, it's a bit easier of explain in a post, you will need to study above Servers, but I can to tell you that the this website and any other website insider of the internet are inside or stored up in they own server, then each that you find something in the website, remember that website that you are using in that moment are connect among themselves around of worldwide, I hope you can to understand me, because I don't know how I can to explain you of a best way, I don't know another way.

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 01:53 PM
woah you wrote a lot! O.o my computer is Windows Vista.
ok, so it's O.K.? It's not bad? okie dokie :)

CrOtALiTo
November 23, 2008, 02:20 PM
But, Did you understand me? everything.

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 02:22 PM
Yes I understand :)

CrOtALiTo
November 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ok, pareja copiado, 340 ahorillese a la orilla, como dicen los de la policia en Mexico.

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 02:49 PM
what? :confused: sorry I don't understand that part, just the long text you wrote in English.

CrOtALiTo
November 23, 2008, 04:48 PM
What didn't you understand me? What part, please you must to tell me What part, you didn't understand me.

Jessica
November 23, 2008, 07:57 PM
Ok, pareja copiado, 340 ahorillese a la orilla, como dicen los de la policia en Mexico.

This part (bolded). The underlined part is something do with the politics in Mexico...I THINK... >.< Hmmmm

Tomisimo
November 27, 2008, 01:58 AM
Copy that partner - pull over to the side of the road - as Mexican police say.

Jessica
November 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
what does the 340 ahorillese mean?

Jessica
December 03, 2008, 06:16 AM
well anyways, now there's over 900 members, but barely 300 are active. O.O

CrOtALiTo
December 03, 2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, you are right, there are over 1000 user signed on in the website but barely less of 400 members signed on posting in the website.

Tomisimo
December 03, 2008, 11:16 AM
There have been a lot more users than that. I regularly go through and delete users who have been members for more than a year and have never posted and have never signed in again.

CrOtALiTo
December 03, 2008, 11:25 AM
Okis.

Copiado camarada.

Jessica
December 03, 2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, you are right, there are over 1000 user signed on in the website but barely less of 400 members signed on posting in the website.

Correction: Yes, you are right, there are over 900 users that are members of this website but barely 300 members are active and posting.

Crotalito, you've got the #s wrong, and you made some mistakes, but overall, I can see you're getting much better! :) Keep it up!

Jessica
December 06, 2008, 06:01 PM
oh sheesh! Now there's only 296 members active. There are 918 members, but barely 1/3 are active!

Tomisimo
December 07, 2008, 06:38 AM
oh sheesh! Now there's only 296 members active. There are 918 members, but barely 1/3 are active!
Yes, I know. Do you have any ideas to encourage more of them to be more active? :)

CrOtALiTo
December 07, 2008, 10:41 AM
I can to give my own opinion about the question, well I feel, we need to do more public poller inside of the forums so the new people and the people that ever is not sign on in the forums, they find more interest the website, I don't know perhaps, we need to more threads with more interest and well they only will get around to doing something in the forums, it only is my view point, David, you are the administrator of the website, but if my view point working you, well then it was good, I hope the members inactive in the forums soon, they sign on again.

Tomisimo
December 07, 2008, 05:16 PM
I don't know perhaps, we need to more threads with more interest ...
I'm working on something to that end..... *cryptic smile*

CrOtALiTo
December 07, 2008, 06:01 PM
Fine. You keep working on that.

Jessica
December 07, 2008, 06:03 PM
what do you mean you're working on something to that end?

Tomisimo
December 07, 2008, 08:47 PM
what do you mean you're working on something to that end?
I'm working on something to achieve that goal.

Jessica
December 08, 2008, 06:00 AM
oh ok. good luck achieving the goal :P

CrOtALiTo
December 08, 2008, 10:56 PM
He will has good luck achieving his goals.

Jessica
December 09, 2008, 05:23 AM
Correction: He will have good luck achieving his goals.
Only 1 error! :)
have is used before plural nouns. here the noun is goals.
has is used before singular nouns - He has only one hour to prepare for the test. The singular noun is hour.

Rusty
December 09, 2008, 09:12 AM
Actually, the direct object luck (not goals, which is a direct object in an adjectival phrase), has nothing to do with it. The reason the word have appears in this sentence is because the future tense is being used and that is the only choice, no matter the person.

Jessica
December 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
oh oops.... :P
well what do you know, more members but less active ones O.o let's see, anyone have any ideas on how to get more members to be more active?

Jamie
December 09, 2008, 02:55 PM
I think I'd fall into the category of people are registered, but don't post very often. Perhaps I should start coming to the website more often. :)

Tomisimo
December 09, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think I'd fall into the category of people are registered, but don't post very often. Perhaps I should start coming to the website more often. :)
Well, you're certainly welcome to do that if you like. :)

Jessica
December 12, 2008, 06:04 AM
why do I always feel scared when a spider or bot is looking a thread I'm making?? :eek:
also, how do you know if someone is a robot or not??

Rusty
December 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
A bot is a program that is written for a specific purpose. Most of the guests you see are probably bots. Many of them are making sure our web site is searchable. This is evidenced by their methodical searching through our posts.
Tomísimo has taken measures to safeguard its members from maliciously-designed programs. Most can't get past registration because of some of these measures. Those that do make it past registration are summarily banned so they can't post undesirable content or do other damage.

Remember that the 'good' bots are 'indexing' everything we write. That means they are making it possible for people to find our web site when they enter search terms that match the content of our posts.

This is why we should carefully word what we post. Our posts have the potential to be seen by billions of people.

CrOtALiTo
December 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have seen in the member list boths, but I believe, David must remove them forever, and so, David musts implement a method where the user must write a words in a blank such as the registers from Hotmail or Yahoo.

Rusty
December 12, 2008, 12:34 PM
David has implemented the feature you're talking about. It presents an image to the registrants and asks them to enter the characters they see in the image. This ensures that a human is registering.
However, there are humans that get paid to register on sites so that the account (member ID) can be used later on by bots. These users are banned once their true identity is made evident by their behavior in the forums.

CrOtALiTo
December 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ok, I got it.

Jessica
December 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
David has implemented the feature you're talking about. It presents an image to the registrants and asks them to enter the characters they see in the image. This ensures that a human is registering.
However, there are humans that get paid to register on sites so that the account (member ID) can be used later on by bots. These users are banned once their true identity is made evident by their behavior in the forums.

I've always wanted to ask this question...
I've always known the typing the characters in an image ensures that you are human. If I was a bot (:lol::p) what would I do to the characters?

Rusty
December 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
If you're a machine, you can't 'read' the characters in the image, so you don't know what characters should be input. If the wrong characters are input, access (registration) is denied.

CrOtALiTo
December 12, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yes, it's correct, if you are machine never you won't see the words in the image.

Jessica
December 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
Crotalito, I'm going to make a correction...
Yes, that's right. If you are a machine you will never/you won't see the letters in the images.

CrOtALiTo
December 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, as I said in my previous post, if you are a machine, you never won't watch the letter of the image showed in the website, then if you are intelligent, and if you are a good programmer then you will able to do much things with Linux.

Jessica
December 12, 2008, 08:06 PM
wow we definitely need more active members....930 members and now only 290 active! Any ideas on how to encourage them to be more active?

Ok, as I said in my previous post, if you are a machine, you never won't watch know the letters of the image showed in the website; then but if you are intelligent, and if you are a good programmer then you will able to do many things with Linux.

What is Linux?

Tomisimo
December 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
I think the original question about why some new members don't post has been answered, and this thread has gotten pretty far off topic. Let's try to keep threads on-topic and not go on about too many extraneous things.

Thread closed.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org