View Full Version : Perspectiva Cultural

Jessica
November 25, 2008, 02:39 PM
pg. 130

In many Spanish-speaking communities, folk remedies have been used and passed down from generation to generation because they work. The sources of many of them are plants with medicinal value. For example, the principal ingredient of aspirin was found in the bark of the white willow tree. Quinine, which is used to treat malaria, came from the bark of a Peruvian tree, the cinchona. Because of their biodiversity, rainforests are an especially rich source of potential medicines.

There are some examples of Mexican folk remedies. If you had a stomachache, your grandmother migh prescribe a tea made from mint (yerbabuena). If you had an earache, she might wrap a little piece of camphor (alcanfor) or the herb rue (ruda) in cotton and put it in your ear.

In Puerto Rico, your grandmother might prescribe these remedies. For minor burns, she might suggest a paste made from grated raw potatoes or the gel of an aloe vera plant. (The gel of the aloe vera is also good for sunburn.) For colds, she might make a tea made from ginger root, elderberry leaves, or orange leaves. She might add some honey if you like it.

La cultura desde tu perspectiva
Good answer for #2?
1. Are any of these remedies similar to home remedies used in your family? No, we do not have any of these remedies.
2. Why might some people who live in tropical countries know about an especially large number of home remedies? Tropical rainforests have a biodiversity of potential medicines, so people who live in tropical countries have a wide knowledge of the plants there. They know what they are for and how to use them.

Tomisimo
November 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
I think there are a lot of home remedies that actually work, but then again there is a lot of misinformation out there.

CrOtALiTo
November 25, 2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, I agree with David, here on my country is mostly used even the home remedies more in the place as Oaxaca or Chiapas, in the tall mountains, inside on my country, it's mostly used for Indigena People, but if you know the majority of the medicines coming of the plants, but if also you know the they have a highly power curative, before in last time the people only used much the plant as medicine.

Jessica
November 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
okay do you think the answer to #2 is okay?

Tomisimo
November 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
okay do you think the answer to #2 is okay?
Yes, your answer appears to be quite logical.

brenfro
November 25, 2008, 11:49 PM
La cultura desde tu perspectiva
Good answer for #2?
1. Are any of these remedies similar to home remedies used in your family? No, we do not have any of these remedies.
2. Why might some people who live in tropical countries know about an especially large number of home remedies? Tropical rainforests have a biodiversity of potential medicines, so people who live in tropical countries have a wide knowledge of the plants there. They know what they are for and how to use them.
For number 2, it's a very good answer, but I would say ...so people who live in these tropical regoins have a vast (another word for wide) knowledge of the native plants. They know... Good job though, you are one smart cookie!

Jessica
November 26, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm a cookie??????? :confused:

poli
November 26, 2008, 06:42 AM
You can also say that many people who rely on home remedies do so because modern medicine may no be readily available to poor people in their communities. Sometimes herbal medicine works though. I know an old man who lived through the small pox epidemic of 1947 in South America. His small pox was cured with a leaf called mata ratón. He got better and was left with no disfiguring scars common among small pox survivers..

Satyr
November 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
Your answer to #2 is good but poorly worded.

The biodiversity of tropical countries yields many potential medicines. The people who live in these tropical regions have a vast knowledge of the native plants. They know what they are good for and how to use them.

Jessica
November 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
oh well it's not graded for accuracy only for if you did it or not. But thanks anyways!

Tomisimo
November 27, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm a cookie??????? :confused:
Being a "smart cookie (http://www.tomisimo.org/idioms/en/smart-cookie-3715.html)" is an expression in English, an idiom in fact, that simply refers to a smart person. :)

Jessica
November 27, 2008, 07:31 AM
ohh I get it. Hahaha don't eat me. I'm a smart cookie. ^_^

CrOtALiTo
November 27, 2008, 08:07 AM
I will eat you little cookie. you must have careful, because I'm angry.

Jessica
November 27, 2008, 08:24 AM
angry? do you mean hungry????????????? :eek:
Crotalito, ¿tienes hombre o enfadado?

CrOtALiTo
November 27, 2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I mean hungry, I'm not angry with you.

you to be careful, because this man is hungry and he wants to eat a cookie inside the forum.

Jajajaja.

Jessica
November 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
hahaha :) I'm a very yummy cookie, because I'm a Triple Chocolate Thrill cookie :D

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org