View Full Version : "... saldrá mal parado ..." ?

laepelba
February 02, 2009, 03:41 AM
One of the things that I am doing to help with my Spanish acquisition is to memorize short sayings and verses, etc. Currently I'm working on a proverb. In English it goes like this: "He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm" and in Spanish it goes like this: "El que anda entre sabios será sabio, pero el que se junta con necios saldrá mal parado." (It's Proverbs 13:20, in Spanish from the Reina Valera 1995.)

I understand all of the Spanish except for the last three words. I thought that "salir" meant "to leave" - so obviously I'm missing some synonym. Can someone explain to me what "... saldrá mal parado ..." means?

Thank you!

sosia
February 02, 2009, 06:07 AM
For me it's "malparado", but you can see it as "mal parado" sometimes.

Suppose you ride something (a car,a business,.. ), and you want to stop ("parar") and you stops bad ("mal-parar")
So you can try to think what's "malparar", it's not to end good, to suffer harm, or to loss something
"salir mal parado"-->" to end suffering harm"
"salir enfermo" --> "to end ill"

Saludos :D

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 11:27 AM
One of the ways salir is used in Spanish is similar to how we would say turn out in English. ¿cómo salió la fiesta? How did the party turn out?

Another verb you can use in this situacion is resultar. ¿resultó bien la fiesta?
Did the party turn out OK?

laepelba
February 02, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you BOTH for your great help with this. It makes LOTS of sense to me now. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have this forum to ask such questions ... and to get such thorough answers from the experts. :)

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you BOTH for your great help with this. It makes LOTS of sense to me now. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have this forum to ask such questions ... and to get such thorough answers from the experts. :)

Thanks, but I'm no expert...just a student like yourself.

laepelba
February 02, 2009, 02:21 PM
But you're living in Mexico, right? Then you're WAY ahead of me. :)

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 04:56 PM
But you're living in Mexico, right? Then you're WAY ahead of me. :)

I'm way ahead of you, but only in terms of geography.

sosia
February 02, 2009, 11:52 PM
same for me :D

Tomisimo
February 05, 2009, 11:56 AM
But geography is important. Think of all the native language input you are getting. Krashen would go wild! :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org