View Full Version : Leave the check open

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm at my favorite bar and I want to tell the cantinero to "leave the check open, please, I'll be back in a few minutes".

¿puede dejarme abierta la cuenta, por favor? Regreso en seguida.

This sounds to me like too much of a translation from English. Is there a more colloquial way of saying the same thing?

Thanks

Rusty
February 02, 2009, 05:00 PM
This sounds right to me.

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 05:06 PM
This sounds right to me.

Thanks. I guess even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.

I'll double-check with my bartender tomorrow.

Tomisimo
February 02, 2009, 06:23 PM
It sounds fine to me as well, but it might not be something commonly said in Spanish, or there might be another better, idiomatic way to say it.

tacuba
February 02, 2009, 07:52 PM
It sounds fine to me as well, but it might not be something commonly said in Spanish, or there might be another better, idiomatic way to say it.

I know what you're saying. Guess I'll have to go to the source.

Thanks guys

sosia
February 04, 2009, 12:55 AM
leave the check open, please?
What does that mean? That you will pay later?

CrOtALiTo
February 04, 2009, 02:23 AM
They used the word check open to say dejar la cuenta abierta, but it does not sound logical for me, I don't know, it would have other way to say the same at English, it might would be you leave free the account for me, I don't know, I'm wondering that is a way of expression native from U.S.A.

laepelba
February 04, 2009, 05:06 AM
... a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.

.... that one started my day today with a BIG smile. Thanks, Tacuba! :D

Rusty
February 04, 2009, 05:35 AM
leave the check open
=
to keep a running tab
=
dejar abierta la cuenta

sosia
February 04, 2009, 06:06 AM
I have searched a bit and "to keep the tub running" means to go to a bar, and pay at the end.
In Spain you pay when they serve you (if you only will pick one thing, ot you don't wanna to wait later) or at the end. So I do not know how to translate it in Spanish. I suppose the Mexican "¿puede dejarme abierta la cuenta, por favor? Regreso en seguida." can be used, but it will be not perfectly understood in Spain
In Spain it's usual to say "apúntamelo en la cuenta" (write it in the account)when you want to pay it the next day. I refers to the old times when the shops owner (groceries, bread and so) made an account for a family, wich was payed at the end of the month.
I think in so a context I would say "Apúntalo todo en la cuenta y te lo pago dentro de una hora" (keep the tab open, I will pay it in an hour")
As said, usually you pay at the end. But if you have to say something,the usual it's to say "pagaremos todo de golpe al acabar" (wel will pay the whole when we are finished)

Saludos :D

chileno
February 04, 2009, 09:19 AM
I have searched a bit and "to keep the tub running" means to go to a bar, and pay at the end.

La palabra is TAB, your mind is playing tricks on you. :-)

In Spain it's usual to say "apúntamelo en la cuenta"

That's exactly how it is translated to spanish.

Hernan

sosia
February 05, 2009, 12:23 AM
La palabra is TAB, your mind is playing tricks on you. :-)
Hernan
Yes, it passes me often :D

chileno
February 05, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hi Sosia,

Yes, it passes me often :D

Me too, By the way, "It happens to me often" would sound better. :-)

sosia
February 06, 2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the input :D
(I should not translate directly from Spanish "me pasa muchas veces")

tacuba
February 06, 2009, 09:41 AM
Well, I talked with my bartender yesterday, and he told me "déjame la cuenta abierta" is perfectly normal and commonly used here in Mexico.

laepelba
February 06, 2009, 09:43 AM
"your" bartender? Wow - you really ARE enjoying your retirement if you have your very own bartender. :D

tacuba
February 06, 2009, 09:45 AM
"your" bartender? Wow - you really ARE enjoying your retirement if you have your very own bartender. :D

Ain't life grand.

chileno
February 06, 2009, 01:31 PM
Right. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. :-)

CrOtALiTo
February 06, 2009, 01:41 PM
I would use, please you leave me the check open, I often when I want a drink, I ask a check open because I ought pay later.

Then If I can say dejame una cuenta abierta, I ought use the sentence, you leave me a check open.

It often passes me when I need to go with a my brother, later he does not take money jejeje.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org