View Full Version : Estaquí

Zach
June 06, 2006, 04:13 PM
I was watching Spanglish and I noticed that the Spanish speakers often link (or it sounds like they link) words together with similar endings and beginnings, like for example someone says "está aquí" but it sounds like "estaquí". I would say "está" and "aquí" distinctly. Is this a popular thing in the Spanish language?

Thanks.

sosia
June 07, 2006, 02:05 AM
I don't think so. But we always speak very fast :) :) we are lazy and we "skip" words and gaps ;D
We have some, like de el -> del, but it's not so common
and speaking about este,esta,esto and skiping we should/could say "esto está aquí", but we only say "está aquí"

Eric
June 07, 2006, 08:41 AM
It's called word ellision. For example:

van a ser
va a nacer
van a hacer

all mean different things, but if you say them fast enough they all sound the same.

Tomisimo
February 06, 2007, 09:40 PM
It's called word ellision. For example:

van a ser
va a nacer
van a hacer

all mean different things, but if you say them fast enough they all sound the same.

I know I'm kinda late responding to this post, but I'll do it for posterity's sake.

It's called elision, and I'm not sure if these examples are elision, since there's no sound missing. Although you're completely right that these three examples sound the same.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org