anthony
June 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'd like to know how to say the pound sign in Spanish. :-\

atnbueno
June 16, 2006, 02:04 PM
"Símbolo de libra" or simply "libra"

anthony
June 19, 2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I looked up libra and it means pound as in weight. What I mean is this symbol: # Is this also "libra"? Thanks.

EnglishStudent
June 20, 2006, 11:39 AM
In Spanish "libra" means:
1.- Currency
2.- Weight measure
3.- Zodiac sign
4.- third person of verb "librar"

Tomisimo
June 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
This symbol # known as a pound sign or simply pound (on the telephone) in the US. It is also known as a hash or hash symbol. If you say "pound sign" in the UK, they will think £ as in the sign for Sterling Pounds. "Pound sign" could also mean Lb, used in the US to represent the weight of one pound.

In México, # is known as a gato or símbolo de gato, in Spain it is most commonly reffered to as the almohadilla. Some people also use cuadradillo or numeral to say this symbol.

anthony
July 12, 2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks to the three of you for your answers. Sorry I've been away so long and I couln't respond, but I was on vacation. ;D Anyway, what I meant by pound sign is the "pound" on a phone #, so I guess gato is the right word for me. Does anyone know if it's ok to use gato in other parts of the world besides Mexico? or would they think I mean cat?

Tomisimo
July 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
As far as I know, gato is used only in Mexico (for this meaning). I believe almohadilla is fairly common too.

sosia
July 18, 2006, 06:55 AM
In Spain, its "almohadilla", like Tomisimo says.
I never heard "gato"

Tomisimo
July 22, 2006, 06:50 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure "gato" is only used in Mexico (in this sense of the word). [miau miau]

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org