View Full Version : Quince Años party

Jessica
April 06, 2009, 01:45 PM
Those of you that are Spanish, have you have a quince años party? I know that girls do it, what do boys do what they reach 15?

chanman
April 06, 2009, 04:26 PM
I think it's actually called a "quinceañera," and I think it's mostly girls, like a "sweet sixteen" in the EE.UU, or a Bar/bat mitzfah for Jews.

Jessica
April 06, 2009, 07:50 PM
yeah I guess it's called that. Oh I never knew there's a "Sweet sixteen" in the U.S. O.o uh oh I put that weddings were a simliar event to quinceañera (we were working on a writing assignment)

AngelicaDeAlquezar
April 06, 2009, 07:55 PM
@Jessica: I don't know in other countries, but in Mexico the only ones who celebrate their fifteenth birthday are girls. Historically, it was a ceremony to "introduce" a young lady to society, in a way to say she was already a woman and should be treated as an adult from then on. It was also some sort of "permission" to suitors that would visit her in order to find a good candidate for her to marry.

In modern times, it's only a party to celebrate that the girl has left childhood behind, and of course, there are not many parents who want their daughters to be married so young anymore.

Traditional party include a religious ceremony. The guests are usually the whole family, the parents' friends and the girl's friends. Her father or godfather makes a speech saying she's already a woman, and gives her some advice for her future life; later she dances a waltz with some boys her age (which they have rehearsed for a few weeks) and then she dances one more waltz with her father and close male relatives (her brothers, uncles, a very good friend of her parents, etc.).

More modern celebrations are held in nightclubs with only the girl's friends and there is no ceremony at all.

@chanman: "quinceañera" is the girl who is fifteen years old. The party is called "fiesta de quince años".

CrOtALiTo
April 06, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes. I have the knowledge that it's named Quisiañera in my country and any places. But when a boy reached the fifteen years old the mostly of the boys does a party with his friends. I really never have a party and anything above it. But it does not matter the important is enjoy his life with his family and friends.

@Jessica: I don't know in other countries, but in Mexico the only ones who celebrate their fifteenth birthday are girls. Historically, it was a ceremony to "introduce" a young lady to society, in a way to say she was already a woman and should be treated as an adult from then on. It was also some sort of "permission" to suitors that would visit her in order to find a good candidate for her to marry.

In modern times, it's only a party to celebrate that the girl has left childhood behind, and of course, there are not many parents who want their daughters to be married so young anymore.

Traditional party include a religious ceremony. The guests are usually the whole family, the parents' friends and the girl's friends. Her father or godfather makes a speech saying she's already a woman, and gives her some advice for her future life; later she dances a waltz with some boys her age (which they have rehearsed for a few weeks) and then she dances one more waltz with her father and close male relatives (her brothers, uncles, a very good friend of her parents, etc.).

More modern celebrations are held in nightclubs with only the girl's friends and there is no ceremony at all.

@chanman: "quinceañera" is the girl who is fifteen years old. The party is called "fiesta de quince años".

Do you like to write much right?

And you are right about the celebrate fifteenth party in Mexico it's very common between the girls who will complete fifteenth years old. They daces with people or uncles or cousins most close to her family during the ceremony she dances one waltz with anyone or other music ( Ten years ago ) I was a cousin with danced with my cousin. It's really very nice and pretty during the party the celebration is made in nightclubs as you said before or in a party room. Well I wanna telling to you two that the Quince años are very populate in Mexico oh right still I remember the fifteenth years of my cousin.:dancingman:

Bolboreta
April 07, 2009, 02:57 AM
In Spain people in general doesn't celebrate the fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.

Only a few high-society families celebrate their daughter's "Puesta de largo". When the girl is fifteen, she is allowed to go to parties with a long dress. Younger girls have to wear short dresses.

In my own and personal opinion this is a very machist (?) celebration. The father of the girl gives her to a boy (I mean "se la entrega a un chico" ?). She is since that moment allowed to dance with men. The simbolism of the party is the one Angelica wrote: The girl is ready to get married, the father -her owner- allows her to.

Fortunately, it only happens in a few small decadent villages. The rest of the girls can dance whoever they want to and are able to wear what they want. Even trousers, my god! :lol:

Jessica
April 07, 2009, 05:20 AM
thanks for the info ^_^

sosia
April 07, 2009, 06:09 AM
In Spain people in general doesn't celebrate the fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.

Only a few high-society families celebrate their daughter's "Puesta de largo". When the girl is fifteen, she is allowed to go to parties with a long dress. Younger girls have to wear short dresses.

Agree :D

Fazor
April 07, 2009, 09:31 AM
Interesting. It never occurred to me that a "Sweet sixteen" type celebration may actually be different ages in different cultures, even though it makes perfect sense. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

CrOtALiTo
April 07, 2009, 01:06 PM
Interesting. It never occurred to me that a "Sweet sixteen" type celebration may actually be different ages in different cultures, even though it makes perfect sense. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

Yes. Also I never have heard that term about sweet sixteen. Only I have heard and I have knowledge about the fifteenth years that is celebrated when the girls have sufficient age.:)

Jessica
April 07, 2009, 01:26 PM
So I have to wear a short dress? :/

CrOtALiTo
April 07, 2009, 01:32 PM
So I have to wear a short dress? :/

Yes.

It's necessary.

Jessica
April 07, 2009, 02:24 PM
oh so a short dress...what would it look like? and a long dress?

Tomisimo
April 07, 2009, 02:42 PM
In Spain people in general don't celebrate their fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.

In my own and personal opinion this is a very sexist celebration. The father of the girl gives her to a boy (I mean "se la entrega a un chico" ?:good:). She is since that moment allowed to dance with men. The symbolism of the party is the one Angelica wrote: The girl is ready to get married, the father -her owner- allows her to.

Fortunately, it only happens in a few small decadent villages. The rest of the girls can dance whoever they want to and are able to wear what they want. Even trousers, my god! :lol:
A few small corrections above. :)

CrOtALiTo
April 07, 2009, 04:07 PM
oh so a short dress...what would it look like? and a long dress?

Mmm:confused:

I don't know am not girl that answer I can't give you but you must wear a dress in your party.:D

Jessica
April 09, 2009, 10:26 AM
do girls have to wear dresses? :thinking: probably, long ago, but maybe not now...

Elaina
April 09, 2009, 02:11 PM
Jchen,

Are you having a party for your birthday? You don't have to follow another culture's tradition.

Let's put it this way. If you were to have a party for your "Quince Años" and knowing what you now know about it, how would you plan your "Quinceañera"?

What type of dress would it be? Unfortunately, I think we should go with a dress. What kind of party would you have? Would you have the accompaniment of 14 boys and girls? Would you dance the waltz with your father?

I never had one nor did I have a Sweet Sixteen party but I wish I had.

Jessica
April 09, 2009, 02:50 PM
:( I don't have enough friends to have a birthday party.

CrOtALiTo
April 09, 2009, 04:59 PM
:( I don't have enough friends to have a birthday party.

Don't worry the party is not necessary, better you should to ask a present very very big, I don't find reason in expense so much money in a party when you can ask better a present whatever present.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jessica
April 09, 2009, 05:57 PM
Jchen,

Are you having a party for your birthday? You don't have to follow another culture's tradition.

Let's put it this way. If you were to have a party for your "Quince Años" and knowing what you now know about it, how would you plan your "Quinceañera"?

What type of dress would it be? Unfortunately, I think we should go with a dress. What kind of party would you have? Would you have the accompaniment of 14 boys and girls? Would you dance the waltz with your father?

I never had one nor did I have a Sweet Sixteen party but I wish I had.

hmmm I guess you're right I don't need to follow another culture's traditions. :P thanks for your info :P :)

lee ying
April 10, 2009, 01:16 AM
don't you have enough friends? what about classroom’s friends?(∩_∩)

explorator
March 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Just dig a little, and you will find the Ancient Rome culture in the Spanish culture: In the Ancient Rome, children used to wear a short white and red toga, called "toga praetexta" (it is the same name and colors of the senators one). It meant that they had to have the same respect than the Roman senators. Well, once the boys and girls, grew up enough to be considered adult, they had a celebration and started to wear adult clothes. Although I haven't heard about such kind of celebrations in today's Spain, their presence in America, reminds me the Ancient Rome traditions.

Here4good
March 20, 2010, 08:09 AM

That's true, but it might be making a come back!! Where I live, near Madrid, there are a lot of South American immigrants, especially Ecuadorians. My daughter has been invited to two 15 year old parties, as a "dama de honor" I think it was, which for the girl in question I'm sure was a wonderful occasion, but for us was a pain in the ****!
My daughter on both occasions was supposed to wear a specific dress, which we had to pay for, had to go to rehearsals for the dances which we had to take her to (and she was supposed to be studying for exams), dress fittings etc etc and we had to organise transport because both times it wasn't held in our town. One of the invitations came with a card with a bank account number on it that we were "invited" to pay into for the girl in question! We had to say "no" to a couple of things (like finding a yellow dress in November in Madrid)
I think it's a lovely idea to have a special party for your daughter, but I also think you should think about the people you're inviting and take that into account. The parties were expensive and time consuming for us.

xchic
March 20, 2010, 10:29 AM
That's true, but it might be making a come back!! Where I live, near Madrid, there are a lot of South American immigrants, especially Ecuadorians. My daughter has been invited to two 15 year old parties, as a "dama de honor" I think it was, which for the girl in question I'm sure was a wonderful occasion, but for us was a pain in the ****!
My daughter on both occasions was supposed to wear a specific dress, which we had to pay for, had to go to rehearsals for the dances which we had to take her to (and she was supposed to be studying for exams), dress fittings etc etc and we had to organise transport because both times it wasn't held in our town. One of the invitations came with a card with a bank account number on it that we were "invited" to pay into for the girl in question! We had to say "no" to a couple of things (like finding a yellow dress in November in Madrid)
I think it's a lovely idea to have a special party for your daughter, but I also think you should think about the people you're inviting and take that into account. The parties were expensive and time consuming for us.

Your daughter didn't have a quince then?

My 14 year old has decided that she wants one - then she thinks that by the time she's 16 we can move back to the US so that she can have a sweet 16 - then by the time she's 18 back to the UK for her 18th!!:rolleyes:

She has a good imagination - and she can dream!

Here4good
March 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
Your daughter didn't have a quince then?

No, I don't know of any Spanish girl having it, only South Americans. TBH it didn't even cross my mind...

xchic
March 20, 2010, 11:31 PM
No, I don't know of any Spanish girl having it, only South Americans. TBH it didn't even cross my mind...
We have a lot of South Americans in this area, so there are a few going to be happening.

It didn't cross my mind either - until my daughter brought it up. I keep telling her it's not actually Spanish;)

Jessica
March 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
I've never had a birthday party in my life :P When I turn 16...no party just an ordinary day

Here4good
March 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
I've never had a birthday party in my life :P When I turn 16...no party just an ordinary day

¿En tu familia no se suele celebrar los cumpleaños?

¿Te gustaría celebrar de alguna forma?

Elaina
March 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Jessica,

¿Porqué tu familia no celebra cumpleaños o Navidad o algun otro día feriado?

A lo que dices tampoco van de vacaciones, etc.

¿Es algo cultural? Si no lo es, entonces ¿porqué tu no tratas de hacerlo y los empujas a ellos a participar? Tu eres expuesta a otra cultura por ir a la escuela pero a lo mejor ellos necesitan ayuda y no saben por donde empezar. Alguna vez te ¿has sentado a platicar con ellos y "bajita la mano" te informas del porqué de sus acciones?

A lo mejor es solo falta de comunicación o entendimiento.

¡Buena suerte!

:rose:

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org