View Full Version : All help appreciated

smiley1076
August 08, 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I just got hired as an elementary school Spanish teacher at a private school. I applied for another position but they offered me the Spanish teacher position. It's been over a year since I graduated from college, and I needed a teaching position to start my career so I took it. I took Spanish I and II in both high school and college. I have an elementary level Spanish vocabulary, but I'm far from fluent. I cannot carry a conversation with a Spanish person, so I'm very worried about the Spanish teachers, parents, and students. The principal knows I'm not fluent and she thought I would do ok, but now I'm wondering what I was thinking. I'm beginning conversational Spanish classes next Tuesday, but it's sort of like starting from scratch. I need as much help as I can get.

RhiannonMari
August 09, 2006, 08:11 AM
wow!!! when i saw your post in the only in spanish thread i was thinkin to myself, why would she be teaching spanish in any grade if she didn't know it very well?!!? but now i understand. well... the basics are simple enough to remember, tho conversational spanish is tricky..... i'm trying to learn the conversational skills myself. i'll try to help in any way i can and perhaps in doing so i will learn more myself! *smiles*

sosia
August 09, 2006, 09:48 AM
it depends on the level. The basics are still the basics, and your goal its to teach spanish at a elementary. So took the books, explain the basics and in the meantime try to improve yout spanish.
Good luck.

RhiannonMari
August 09, 2006, 09:56 AM
true enough. i'm trying to teach my son, been trying to teach him american sign language from birth, but since he's been getting into dora the explorer and go diego go, etc... been trying to work that in as well. and since i have an interest and still remember much of the education with spanish & am now taking a course thru my job for it, figured might as well. wondering tho if i'm not trying to do too much with trying to teach him and learn myself the sign language & the spanish. i just really love languages, especially those two... and wish to be fluent in both and my son has been doing very well with the sign language so far. i dunno. am i stretching myself too thin? *shrugs* ??? ???

Tomisimo
August 09, 2006, 04:14 PM
I don't think you're stretching yourself too thin. I think the two of you can learn Spanish and Sign together. One of the best ways for learning something is to try to teach it because while trying to instruct someone else, you are forced to learn it yourself.

smiley1076
August 10, 2006, 12:48 PM
Como se dice "How long have you been a student at this school?" en espanol? Cuanto tiempo hace que asistir este escuela?

y la repuesta: "Hace __ anos que asistir aqui?"

Tomisimo
August 10, 2006, 04:58 PM
Here's some options:

How long have you been a student at this school?

¿Hace cuánto tiempo asistes a esta escuela?
¿Cuánto tiempo tienes asistiendo a esta escuela?
¿Cuánto tiempo tienes en esta escuela?

I've been going here for 3 years.

Tengo tres años asistiendo aquí.
Tengo tres años en esta escuela.
Hace tres años que asisto a esta escuela.

smiley1076
August 11, 2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone, sosia, Rhiannon, and tomisimo.. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll ask for more soon.

Tomisimo
August 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
No problem, glad to help smiley :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org