View Full Version : Rusty and total immersion

tacuba
June 03, 2009, 10:37 AM
Many times on this forum Rusty has stated that in his opinion "total immersion" is the best way to acquire a foreign language. Well, here's some research that backs up his opinion 100%.

Here is an excerpt: (Jan 2009, University of Wellington)

"The teaching of languages could be revolutionised following ground-breaking research by Victoria University PhD graduate Paul Sulzberger. Dr Sulzberger has found that the best way to learn a language is through frequent exposure to its sound patterns—even if you haven't a clue what it all means.
"However crazy it might sound, just listening to the language, even though you don’t understand it, is critical. A lot of language teachers may not accept that," he says."

Here's the full article:
http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/about/newspubs/news/ViewNews.aspx?id=2458&newslabel=hn

bobjenkins
June 03, 2009, 10:47 AM
Gracias me inspiraste a mirar más programas en español aún si yo no las comprendo:) buena información

Espero que las otras personas aquí lo leen

CrOtALiTo
June 03, 2009, 12:38 PM
Many times on this forum Rusty has stated that in his opinion "total immersion" is the best way to acquire a foreign language. Well, here's some research that backs up his opinion 100%.

Here is an excerpt: (Jan 2009, University of Wellington)

"The teaching of languages could be revolutionised following ground-breaking research by Victoria University PhD graduate Paul Sulzberger. Dr Sulzberger has found that the best way to learn a language is through frequent exposure to its sound patterns—even if you haven't a clue what it all means.
"However crazy it might sound, just listening to the language, even though you don’t understand it, is critical. A lot of language teachers may not accept that," he says."

Here's the full article:
http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/about/newspubs/news/ViewNews.aspx?id=2458&newslabel=hn

I have one thought about your text, you have gotten that text of one search that you made in the website, I believe that the text is mostly related with the endeavor of each person in as they can learn the language in this new age, then I found one great motive to continue with learning of language because if they creators of the books and text as the that you have written in this post they could to learn and write to words en severals languages and even though you learn five or one language you are following the steps of the people to wants to be ready with knowledge actually.

I hope you can catch my thinking about it.

Rusty
June 03, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the support, Tacuba.

Tomisimo
June 03, 2009, 08:43 PM
For the record, I agree that total immersion is a great way to learn language.

tacuba
June 03, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the support, Tacuba.

You're most welcome.

What I find fascinating about the article is that for a long time there have been proponents of "exposure based" language learning. Linguists such as Stephen Krashen have long argued that languages are not "learned" but rather "acquired" as a result of massive aural exposure to the target language, in much the same way as all children learn their native languages. However, Krashen argued that the optimal learning environment is one where the person learning is in a conducive atmosphere (low stress) and also is receiving comprehensible input. In fact, Krashen argues that acquisition takes place in a "comprehensible input + 1" situation, where 1 is material that is just beyond the student's level of understanding. Sulzberger is taking the input hypothesis to the extreme saying that the input doesn't even have to be comprehensible. However the article doesn't state whether comprehensible input is better that incomprehensible, but it seems as if Sulzberger is saying that just listening is enough, and that after that the innate functions of the brain take over and the connections are formed naturally.

This coincides with a story I read last year on another language forum regarding a person who wanted to learn Spanish and did nothing but watch telenovelas for several hours a day, five days a week. If I remember correctly, all the person used as a study aid was a dictionary. Aside from that, no grammar, no teacher, no language program...nothing...just the telenovelas. If the anecdote can be believed, the person tested at high intermediate in conversation and listening skills after six months.

chileno
June 04, 2009, 08:20 AM
You're most welcome.

What I find fascinating about the article is that for a long time there have been proponents of "exposure based" language learning. Linguists such as Stephen Krashen have long argued that languages are not "learned" but rather "acquired" as a result of massive aural exposure to the target language, in much the same way as all children learn their native languages. However, Krashen argued that the optimal learning environment is one where the person learning is in a conducive atmosphere (low stress) and also is receiving comprehensible input. In fact, Krashen argues that acquisition takes place in a "comprehensible input + 1" situation, where 1 is material that is just beyond the student's level of understanding. Sulzberger is taking the input hypothesis to the extreme saying that the input doesn't even have to be comprehensible. However the article doesn't state whether comprehensible input is better that incomprehensible, but it seems as if Sulzberger is saying that just listening is enough, and that after that the innate functions of the brain take over and the connections are formed naturally.

This coincides with a story I read last year on another language forum regarding a person who wanted to learn Spanish and did nothing but watch telenovelas for several hours a day, five days a week. If I remember correctly, all the person used as a study aid was a dictionary. Aside from that, no grammar, no teacher, no language program...nothing...just the telenovelas. If the anecdote can be believed, the person tested at high intermediate in conversation and listening skills after six months.

Have you read some of my "studying" proposals? :)

irmamar
June 04, 2009, 08:20 AM
Here we say "inmersión lingüística", and I agree with you that it is the best way for learning a language.

And what you say, Tacuba, about watching TV (or similar) I find very interesting. Anyway, maybe we have to bear in mind that not all the words of different languages are spelled in the same way. For instance, you can hear a Spanish sentence and you could have doubts about if it's spelled with j o g, with h or not. But if I hear an English sentence I will have more doubts than you, because what you spell as an "a", I can listen to it as /ei/, /a/ or /o/ (more or less). Or, another example, "r" is very clear in Spanish, but in English sometimes it's not pronounced and it sounds like a long vowel. Because of that, if I don't see the words written, I won't understand what they say (so I won't be able to look them up in a dictionary). So I think that reading is almost so necessary than listening to. Anyway, I agree with you.

irmamar
June 04, 2009, 08:26 AM
Have you read some of my "studying" proposals? :)

El método "Chileno" nunca falla ;)

Pero es un buen método, Chileno, estoy de acuerdo contigo :)

Tienes que patentarlo :shh:

chileno
June 04, 2009, 08:30 AM
El método "Chileno" nunca falla ;)

Pero es un buen método, Chileno, estoy de acuerdo contigo :)

Tienes que patentarlo :shh:

jajaja :D

Pero así es que "adquirí" el inglés. Es un conjunto de cosas, no solamente escuchar y/o leer.

Yo la hice en un año. Y por lejos no soy el más inteligente o con más estudios..
:)

laughingwithfee
June 06, 2009, 10:01 PM
My mother spoke almost no Spanish when she went on an exchange trip to Ecuador. Her family spoke no English, so she was forced to learn Spanish. She came out of the trip speaking fluent Spanish. My cousin had the same experience last year.

bobjenkins
June 07, 2009, 12:21 AM
My mother spoke almost no Spanish when she went on an exchange trip to Ecuador. Her family spoke no English, so she was forced to learn Spanish. She came out of the trip speaking fluent Spanish. My cousin had the same experience last year.
Wow, ¿cuántos meses fueron en Ecuador?
Después de leerlo estoy entusiasmado porque iré a España para un año para aprender español

Gracias
Bob

irmamar
June 07, 2009, 01:25 AM
Después de leerlo estoy entusiasmado porque iré a España para un año para aprender español

Gracias
Bob

Si vas a estar un año aquí, vas a aprender muchísimo. Sé de gente que ha estado tres meses en Inglaterra y ha vuelto sabiendo muchísmo inglés. :)

laughingwithfee
June 07, 2009, 11:16 AM

Gracias
Bob

Mas o menos cinco meses.

bobjenkins
June 07, 2009, 04:23 PM
Si vas a estar un año aquí, vas a aprender muchísimo. Sé de gente que ha estado tres meses en Inglaterra y ha vuelto sabiendo muchísimo inglés. :)

Mas o menos cinco meses.

:eek: ¡Estoy tan entusiasmado!

laughingwithfee
June 07, 2009, 06:04 PM
:eek: ¡Estoy tan entusiasmado!

¡buena suerte con su viaje!

EmpanadaRica
July 26, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hola a todos! :)

It' s very interesting to read all your thoughts about this topic, gracias por eso! :thumbsup: I would like to add something brief (well.. ok maybe not extremely brief..:D) about my own experience(s) if I may. :)

I have attempted to learn Spanish one time before. I bought the books, (i.e. idiom, verbs, verb-practise). I really did want to make a good start but somehow I gave up after about 3 weeks. I wasn' t motivated to look into the book every day and make exercises. This wasa few years ago. I have been wanting to learn Spanish since (because I think it' s a beautiful language and because I love travelling to South America!:thumbsup:).

So this time I have decided to go about it very differently, as it seems the approach I tried before did not work. So about 2 months ago (I have been studying Spanish for about 2 months) I decided to take a very different approach in that I was determined to find things that would keep me going, that would make the learning experience varied, stimulating and also ' forcing' me to keep busy, keep doing something every day to make myself get used to integrating Spanish into my life (as I think this is really the only way to learn it). You might call it 'discipline' maybe although my approach seems way too chaotic to justify that word..:D

I decided to connect to people (i.e. 'tandem partner and penpals') so I would feel a little social pressure in a sence (apart from it being a very good and nice way to learn it does make you want to advance as well..). My friends here don't speak Spanish so they would not be able to appreciate any difference or imrpovement. Now having had 2 months of exchange on skype with one new Spanish friend (bonus!) we can definitely notice improvements and are more aware of the things we can help eachother with :thumbsup:

Apart from this I have been trying to ' raise the bar' in the sense that I have wanted to submerge myself in as many ways as I can, as I think this most naturally mimics the natural way in which we learn a language- not knowing things, learning them as we go along, being surrounded by them and building our understanding in the process. So I have been trying to read forums, listen to many podcasts, now slowly advancing to listening music and interviews on the radio, watching tv and reading a book/ listening to an audiobook. This in combination with brief chats (msn), adhoc exercise such as short messages to be corrected on a forum, longer emails to be corrected (snailmail) to train the use of less common words of grammar constructs, and skype sessions varing from 30 minutes to more than an hour, I think are starting to really have their effects now. :thumbsup:

It seems a lot, but I think anyone can or could do this if you are commited enough. it does not have to be much more than half an hour in a day, listening to a podcast, making a short exercise, reading a few pages or some subjects on a forum.

I am not sure if this constitutes to ' submergence' into language but I do try to expose myself to it in as many ways as I can, and whenever I can. For example, I enjoy watching travel documentaries or documentaries in general. Instead of watching them in Dutch or English I will now watch them in Spanish instead (or I will download a Spanish version of a series I enjoy and find the subtitles online to watch it in Spanish instead). In the beginning this took a lot of energy but now, after a few weeks, I am noticing sometimes I am starting to recognize and understand certain parts without having to wind back and listen again. :D Obviously I don' t understand everything or literally, but I have noticed words are starting to stick, I am starting to use them and/ or recognize constructions. So I will continue doing this, because I think we learn both consciously and subconsciously (i.e. recognizing what does or does not ' sound' right).

I am quite an advocate of it in fact because I think I have learned most of my English through watching American and English tv being subtitled- even if naturally it is tought in school and used at university. I'm not claiming we should learn exclusively from tv of course, but I do believe that diversifying the way we ' take in' a language as much as possible in reading, listening, writing and speaking it, will help learning the language that much quicker. :thumbsup: Plus it makes you more stimulated/determined to keep it up, and it' s more fun because you can more quickly notice the effect of your learning process (it is more relevant when you can out what you have learned to use). :)

brute
July 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hello my tasty meat pie. I agree with your method of total immersion. I attend two language cafes every week where I can practise German, French and Spanish, often with native speakers. There are plenty of websites where you can both hear and see native speakers, often with an original script and /or a translation of what you hear. I have a motorised satellite dish which gives me plenty of foreign stations to watch. Your English is perfect. This is true of most of your countrymen. You are a nation of linguists. Skype is a good idea, but I find it can be rather time-consuming. Keep up your efforts. Your Spanish will soon be perfect as well.

EmpanadaRica
July 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hello my tasty meat pie. I agree with your method of total immersion. I attend two language cafes every week where I can practise German, French and Spanish, often with native speakers. There are plenty of websites where you can both hear and see native speakers, often with an original script and /or a translation of what you hear. I have a motorised satellite dish which gives me plenty of foreign stations to watch. Your English is perfect. This is true of most of your countrymen. You are a nation of linguists. Skype is a good idea, but I find it can be rather time-consuming. Keep up your efforts. Your Spanish will soon be perfect as well.

¡Hola brute!

¡¡Gracias!! :D Alas, my English is far from perfect (thank you for saying that though ;)).. However it is the language that is easiest for me apart from Dutch of course. :)

Yes my goal is to become completely comfortable with Spanish, maybe almost similar to English, which sometimes feels like putting on a pair of comfortable old shoes :D (which will be a process of years rather than months I am sure, and an ongoing learning process). But I am quite determined, and I love the language! :p The more I learn about it, the more curious and eager I am becoming to learn even more, in fact. :D

As for Skype, yes it is time and energy consuming I agree with you in that respect. However I do feel it offers you an opportunity to train your brain in a way that is quite different from more 'passive' consumption such as listening to radio or watching tv. It can be exhausting, but I do think because it is so intensive, you can learn quite a lot from it. :)

If anyone has any additional suggestions or ideas I would certainly welcome them! :thumbsup: :)

Ps I only just noticed the little 'accents' bar in the posting options, it's excellent!!!:thumbsup: Does anyone know if there is any way this can be downloaded and integrated into hotmail for instance, because making accents on my keyboard gives me a headache sometimes.. :sad:

CrOtALiTo
July 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hola a todos! :)

It' s very interesting to read all your thoughts about this topic, gracias por eso! :thumbsup: I would like to add something brief (well.. ok maybe not extremely brief..:D) about my own experience(s) if I may. :)

I have attempted to learn Spanish one time before. I bought the books, (i.e. idiom, verbs, verb-practise). I really did want to make a good start but somehow I gave up after about 3 weeks. I wasn' t motivated to look into the book every day and make exercises. This wasa few years ago. I have been wanting to learn Spanish since (because I think it' s a beautiful language and because I love travelling to South America!:thumbsup:).

So this time I have decided to go about it very differently, as it seems the approach I tried before did not work. So about 2 months ago (I have been studying Spanish for about 2 months) I decided to take a very different approach in that I was determined to find things that would keep me going, that would make the learning experience varied, stimulating and also ' forcing' me to keep busy, keep doing something every day to make myself get used to integrating Spanish into my life (as I think this is really the only way to learn it). You might call it 'discipline' maybe although my approach seems way too chaotic to justify that word..:D

I decided to connect to people (i.e. 'tandem partner and penpals') so I would feel a little social pressure in a sence (apart from it being a very good and nice way to learn it does make you want to advance as well..). My friends here don't speak Spanish so they would not be able to appreciate any difference or imrpovement. Now having had 2 months of exchange on skype with one new Spanish friend (bonus!) we can definitely notice improvements and are more aware of the things we can help eachother with :thumbsup:

Apart from this I have been trying to ' raise the bar' in the sense that I have wanted to submerge myself in as many ways as I can, as I think this most naturally mimics the natural way in which we learn a language- not knowing things, learning them as we go along, being surrounded by them and building our understanding in the process. So I have been trying to read forums, listen to many podcasts, now slowly advancing to listening music and interviews on the radio, watching tv and reading a book/ listening to an audiobook. This in combination with brief chats (msn), adhoc exercise such as short messages to be corrected on a forum, longer emails to be corrected (snailmail) to train the use of less common words of grammar constructs, and skype sessions varing from 30 minutes to more than an hour, I think are starting to really have their effects now. :thumbsup:

It seems a lot, but I think anyone can or could do this if you are commited enough. it does not have to be much more than half an hour in a day, listening to a podcast, making a short exercise, reading a few pages or some subjects on a forum.

I am not sure if this constitutes to ' submergence' into language but I do try to expose myself to it in as many ways as I can, and whenever I can. For example, I enjoy watching travel documentaries or documentaries in general. Instead of watching them in Dutch or English I will now watch them in Spanish instead (or I will download a Spanish version of a series I enjoy and find the subtitles online to watch it in Spanish instead). In the beginning this took a lot of energy but now, after a few weeks, I am noticing sometimes I am starting to recognize and understand certain parts without having to wind back and listen again. :D Obviously I don' t understand everything or literally, but I have noticed words are starting to stick, I am starting to use them and/ or recognize constructions. So I will continue doing this, because I think we learn both consciously and subconsciously (i.e. recognizing what does or does not ' sound' right).

I am quite an advocate of it in fact because I think I have learned most of my English through watching American and English tv being subtitled- even if naturally it is tought in school and used at university. I'm not claiming we should learn exclusively from tv of course, but I do believe that diversifying the way we ' take in' a language as much as possible in reading, listening, writing and speaking it, will help learning the language that much quicker. :thumbsup: Plus it makes you more stimulated/determined to keep it up, and it' s more fun because you can more quickly notice the effect of your learning process (it is more relevant when you can out what you have learned to use). :)

Firstly your experience wasn't brief;) don't worry for it.

Now I understand your situation, I've had it kind to difficultly in learn the language but in my case English, already that my tongue language is Spanish. Of course the same problem in both cases, my advance for learn the language is if you've the communication with people who speak the language so well, as you can practice with them, I believe that it's most appropriate way, I don't fin other way, because I feel that is easier that way, already you can speak and learn the method that them used during a conversation, just it happened to me before and nowadays also I've problems with the learning, because I've not friend or people who can speak with me the language, therefore it tend to be more difficult each day.

Then the recommendation to learn the language if you have the possibility to speak with someone in the msn or skype where the chat hasn't cost some, then I believe that one day, you'll can be able to speak perfectly and clear the language.

In your post I could to saw that you dominate perfectly the English, I didn't see almost mistakes in your post is perfect, in fact I'm surprising with yours knowledge in English as clear as can be possible, also I'm glad that you're learning and getting better the Spanish with your friendly chats, it's turn to be good in the moment, but it doesn't sufficient.

If you've need help, I can recommending you, if you have the chance to find some place in your country where you can practice the language as soon as you can do it, because when people is motivate with someone is easier to learn whatever that when not.

I know that the find some place where you can practice can get to be hard to find most for the place where you live, but I believe that some school must to be some class about it.

Good luck with the learning, and I'll waiting can be to help for you.

EmpanadaRica
July 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
In your post I could to see that you command English almost pefectly, I hardly saw any mistakes in your post it's almost is perfect, in fact I'm surprised that it is possible that your knowledge of English can be so clear (?), also I'm glad that you're learning and improving your Spanish with your friendly chats, it's turning out well for the moment , but it isn't sufficient (/enough).

Hola CrOtALiTo ! :)
¡¡¡ Muchas gracias por tus cumplidos y tus consejos !! :o :p
¡ Eres bastante amable! (quizás demasiado.. :D)

I agree with the points you mentioned here, it is quite difficult to take the level from good to very good. This will be a challenge in due time, I am sure. But I would really like to because I think Spanish is a wonderful language! :)

If you need help, I can recommend you, if you have the chance to find some place in your country where you can practice the language as soon as you can do it, because when people are motivated with someone, it is easier to learn whatever they want to learn than when not.

I know that to find some place where you can practice can be hard especially where you live, but I believe that some schools must offer some classes in it/ in Spanish.

Good luck with (the) leaning , and I'll wait to see if I can help you.

¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! Estoy segura que voy a necesitar tu ayuda de menudo..:D It' s true, not a lot of people speak Spanish here, I do live in Amsterdam, so this offers a few possibilities but not abundantly so. None of my friends speak it. Yes there are classes but this is hard to combine with work. I have been lucky to make some new friends from Spain, Mexico and Argentina. :)

If I in turn can help you as well, I will be very happy to! :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for your encouraging words you are very kind. :)

By the way, Mexico is an amazingly beautiful country and the Mexicans that I met when I was there a few years ago were so kind and helpful!:thumbsup:

I just wish it was a bit closer so it would be easier for me to return and see much more of your county. :) :thumbsup:

irmamar
July 27, 2009, 12:45 AM
I had some friends in the Netherlands and they were also very kind. I've been once in Holland and I fell in love with your country and with your people. There people speak English as well as Dutch, or that's my feeling. I also learnt a few words in Dutch, but it's a bit difficult language, you put together a lot of words and you have very long words with a lot of /j/ really difficult to pronunciate. :)

EmpanadaRica
July 27, 2009, 12:54 AM
I had some friends in the Netherlands and they were also very kind. I've been once in Holland and I fell in love with your country and with your people. There people speak English as well as Dutch, or that's my feeling. I also learnt a few words in Dutch, but it's a bit difficult language, you put together a lot of words and you have very long words with a lot of /j/ really difficult to pronunciate. :)

Haha :D :thumbsup:

I'm glad my country and compatriots left a good impression on you! :)
I have been in Spain a few times as well and it' s a beautiful country! But it was a long time ago since I have been there, so of course for my studies (and only for that of course..:p :D ) I need to return soon.... :thumbsup: And of course meet all my new friends and sample all the wonderful dishes I have been reading about.. :D

You' re right, the pronunciation is one of the hardest things about my native language, as is wordorder (the verbs however are so much more simple and a lot easier to master than in Spanish..;)). But in case you are thinking about wanting to learn some, just let me know.. :D :thumbsup:

irmamar
July 27, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yes, I'd like to learn Dutch, but I have no time now. Anyway, I take note of your kind offer :)

CrOtALiTo
July 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hola CrOtALiTo ! :)
¡¡¡ Muchas gracias por tus cumplidos y tus consejos !! :o :p
¡ Eres bastante amable! (quizás demasiado.. :D)

I agree with the points you mentioned here, it is quite difficult to take the level from good to very good. This will be a challenge in due time, I am sure. But I would really like to because I think Spanish is a wonderful language! :)

¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! Estoy segura que voy a necesitar tu ayuda de menudo..:D It' s true, not a lot of people speak Spanish here, I do live in Amsterdam, so this offers a few possibilities but not abundantly so. None of my friends speak it. Yes there are classes but this is hard to combine with work. I have been lucky to make some new friends from Spain, Mexico and Argentina. :)

If I in turn can help you as well, I will be very happy to! :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for your encouraging words you are very kind. :)

By the way, Mexico is an amazingly beautiful country and the Mexicans that I met when I was there a few years ago were so kind and helpful!:thumbsup:

I just wish it was a bit closer so it would be easier for me to return and see much more of your county. :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the hint.

I written sufficient instead of enough.

Although they together sound like.

Of course when you need to help in Spanish, I'll be glad in help you and give you support.

EmpanadaRica
July 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you for the hint.

I written sufficient instead of enough.

Although they together sound like.

Of course when you need to help in Spanish, I'll be glad in help you and give you support.

Hola CrOtALiTo :)
' Sufficient' and ' enough' can both be used more or less interchangeably as adjective ('It is sufficient' or 'it is enough'). :thumbsup:

However in your original post you used it as a verb ('but it doesn't sufficient'). The verb would be 'to suffice' , so in that case you would have to say 'it doesn't suffice' (which is also fine). :)

Si tienes razón, son muy parecidas estas palabras. :)

Thank you for your offer of help, I will need your help often I think!! ¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! :) :thumbsup:

poli
July 28, 2009, 05:42 AM
I really think that for adults submersion should be preceeded by basic grammar, vocabulary and, in the case of Spanish,knowledge verb forms. Without that knowledge, submersion can be a very alienating experience.

A student's own motivation is the most valuable tool.

CrOtALiTo
July 28, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hola CrOtALiTo :)
' Sufficient' and ' enough' can both be used more or less interchangeably as adjective ('It is sufficient' or 'it is enough'). :thumbsup:

However in your original post you used it as a verb ('but it doesn't sufficient'). The verb would be 'to suffice' , so in that case you would have to say 'it doesn't suffice' (which is also fine). :)

Si tienes razón, son muy parecidas estas palabras. :)

Thank you for your offer of help, I will need your help often I think!! ¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Even although, I'm not a English native, sometimes I feel that my English can be getting better.

Whatever, if you need to help in Spanish, please you don't hesitate to ask me whatever.

Chris
August 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
Ps I only just noticed the little 'accents' bar in the posting options, it's excellent!!!:thumbsup: Does anyone know if there is any way this can be downloaded and integrated into hotmail for instance, because making accents on my keyboard gives me a headache sometimes.. :sad:

You could try an addon for firefox web browser. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7169 I'm going to evaluate this one. CTRL+~ then n is supposed to give you ñ.

Or you could use the character map available in all operating systems that I have used from windows 98 to linux to windows vista. Kind of slow. A little faster is memorizing the number of the character and press ALT+Number for example ñ is ALT+0241. Vista shows this number in the character map.

I like the way my google phone does the characters. You long press a letter and if available it gives the accented character. If you could do this in vista it would be great.

EmpanadaRica
August 15, 2009, 11:52 PM
¡Muchas gracias Chris! I think I will go and try the add-ons (a very good idea!) and if that doesn't work I can memorize the ALT combinations (I knew about those just wanted to find a better sollution :o)

Thanx a lot for your suggestions! :thumbsup: :rose:

Chris
August 16, 2009, 12:36 AM
De nada. I tried out the add-on and it seems to work pretty well from the browser.

I also found http://www.bowdoin.edu/~eyepes/newgr/accsp.htm (http://www.bowdoin.edu/%7Eeyepes/newgr/accsp.htm) this while searching for a better way. It doesn't work in firefox browser but does in OpenOffice.org.

Correction on the edit. It will work in firefox, I didn't have the keyboard set up correctly. ñÑíÍ

This seems like the best method and can do ¿? ¡! as well as the accents.

laepelba
August 16, 2009, 03:48 AM
I still say, strongly, that using Window's additional keyboard solves all of the problems that you might find with typing all of the "Alt" codes. I can switch with one key-combination to a Spanish keyboard, and then, while typing Spanish text, I can easily get tildes and accents. Tilde is ONE key, an accent is two keys. MUY FACIL!

EmpanadaRica
August 16, 2009, 04:21 AM
I still say, strongly, that using Window's additional keyboard solves all of the problems that you might find with typing all of the "Alt" codes. I can switch with one key-combination to a Spanish keyboard, and then, while typing Spanish text, I can easily get tildes and accents. Tilde is ONE key, an accent is two keys. MUY FACIL!

Ok thanx for the advice! :thumbsup:

They both seem good options to me actually! :) :thumbsup:

ookami
August 29, 2009, 09:16 PM
Be carefull, I have seen some gramatical errors just one minute after I enter. (I didn't listen any record)

bobjenkins
August 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
Gracias me inspiraste a mirar más programas en español aún si yo no las comprendo:) buena información

Espero que las otras personas aquí lo lean
Una pequeña corrección Bob

Gracias a Bob
De nada:p

ookami
August 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
:eek: two bobs!

Ya que estamos te corrijo otro: es "los comprendo" (los programas) y no 'las'.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org