View Full Version : Carrera que no da el caballo, en el cuerpo se la tiene

ROBINDESBOIS
June 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mi madre solía usar este refrán para decir que normalmente la gente que no trabaja demasiado de jóven, llega a viejo con buena salud. No logro encontrar nada similar en inglés. Can anybody help?

hermit
June 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
there is a saying in english: "i'm saving it for my old age"; in this case i guess it's energy that's being conserved.

hermit

Rusty
June 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
An equivalent phrase is "there's a lot of race left in that horse." We can also apply it to other situations:
There's a lot of race left in me. (I'm still capable - I'm still young)
There's a lot of race left. (There's more to do (, but we're up to the challenge))

brute
June 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
An equivalent phrase is "there's a lot of race left in that horse." We can also apply it to other situations:
There's a lot of race left in me. (I'm still capable - I'm still young)
There's a lot of race left. (There's more to do (, but we're up to the challenge))

How about "There's life in the old dog yet.

Rusty
June 28, 2009, 04:46 PM
How about "There's life in the old dog yet. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And, "There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle."

CrOtALiTo
June 28, 2009, 11:57 PM
Mi madre solía usar este refrán para decir que normalmente la gente que no trabaja demasiado de jóven, llega a viejo con buena salud. No logro encontrar nada similar en inglés. Can anybody help?

Well, I know that the literal translation into of the Spanish to English can't be the same or that I want to translate each phrase of the word, but I will try to do my own attempt.

I hope you can understand it

The people to does not work a lot of during their life, they become old people with good health.

I hope this work.

ROBINDESBOIS
June 29, 2009, 03:19 AM
Bueno, normalmente este dicho tiene connotaciones negativas, porque se usa para reprochar a alguien que no haya trabajado de joven, y en consecuencia se conserva muy bien. There is a lot of race in that horse, pienso que tiene connotaciones positivas. SAludos y gracias a todos.

Tomisimo
June 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
Bueno, normalmente este dicho tiene connotaciones negativas, porque se usa para reprochar a alguien que no haya trabajado de joven, y en consecuencia se conserva muy bien. There is a lot of race in that horse, pienso que tiene connotaciones positivas. SAludos y gracias a todos.
I don't think there is a good equivalent phrase in English. Your best bet would be to simply explain it and say it like it is.

{|}He's had an easy life...
He's been over-protected...
He hasn't had to go out and work...
He has led a soft life...
He hasn't worked hard...
He has been pampered...|
... so that's why he's in good health.
... that's why he's well-preserved.
... that's why life hasn't taken its toll on him.

ROBINDESBOIS
June 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
That´s it, thank you very much Tomisimo.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org