View Full Version : Buttons to insert accented characters in posts

Tomisimo
March 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
I just got done creating a plugin that adds some buttons underneath the edit box when you create a new post/thread, edit a post and under the quickrelpy box. Just click the buttons to add accented letters to your posts. :)

The neat thing is it's done using vB's plugins. I didn't have to touch the core php files.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Neophyte
March 16, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hey that's pretty cool.

Testing... áéñÉÍÑ

I'll have to start writing in spanish now to use them hehe.

Zach
March 27, 2007, 05:59 PM
Looks great, these would come in really handy! Although I do have the Spanish keyboard installed in Windows XP, I'm having trouble finding how to create the ü character...for typing words such as bilingüe.

Tomisimo
March 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
Depending on which version of the Spanish keyboard you have installed, you use either the single apostrophe key ' or the left square bracket key [ to type the accents. To type a diaeresis ¨, hold down the shift key while pressing the apostrophe or bracket key, then hit the vowel you want the diaeresis over. For example ü for me is SHIFT + ' then u.

Hope that helps.

Tomisimo
May 12, 2007, 09:43 AM
I just wanted to update this thread to note that I added the upside-down question mark and exclamation mark to the insert bar, on celador's request. :)

bleak-uk
May 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
The buttons are pretty cool, but when you click on them the character goes to the start of your message instead of where you are currently typing, which is kind of annoying because you end up having to use cut and paste which is just as much effort as the Alt + 0237 method. Anything you could do about that?

celador
May 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
Looks great, these would come in really handy! Although I do have the Spanish keyboard installed in Windows XP, I'm having trouble finding how to create the ü character...for typing words such as bilingüe.

I was having problems using my keyboard too, until i figured out that I needed to have the United States / International version. Thats the one that uses the apostrophy instead of the bracket. Also LEFT SIDE alt+shift will toggle between the EN and ES keyboard. That's pretty handy for me.

http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm has instructions for installing and using the keyboard.

celador
May 13, 2007, 08:39 PM
Depending on which version of the Spanish keyboard you have installed, you use either the single apostrophe key ' or the left square bracket key [ to type the accents. To type a diaeresis ¨, hold down the shift key while pressing the apostrophe or bracket key, then hit the vowel you want the diaeresis over. For example ü for me is SHIFT + ' then u.

Hope that helps.

From a textbook comes this ditty, but I have no idea what it means.

Pin, marín
de don Pingüé
cúcara, mácara
títere, fue.

Also, What is the difference between the umlaut, (which is what I thought this [ ü ] was, and the dieresis? They appear to be written the same and as nearly as I can tell the definition is very similar. I think maybe the umlaut is more Germanic? and the dieresis more latin? No?

celador
May 13, 2007, 09:08 PM
From a textbook comes this ditty, but I have no idea what it means.

Pin, marín
de don Pingüé
cúcara, mácara
títere, fue.

I think it is a Spanish version of our 'Enie meeny miny mo' counting rhyme

As near as I can tell from researching the words in the dictionary.
It says something like:

Pin, marín / wooden (pine) marionette
de don Pingüé / of Don Fatso
cúcara, mácara / winking, (riducule) bragging?
títere, fue. / the puppet was.

Tomisimo
May 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
The buttons are pretty cool, but when you click on them the character goes to the start of your message instead of where you are currently typing, which is kind of annoying because you end up having to use cut and paste which is just as much effort as the Alt + 0237 method. Anything you could do about that?

Thanks for the feedback. What OS/Browser are you using? I have tested it on Firefox 2, Opera 9 and Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP and 2000. With all 3 of these browsers, it inserts that character where the cursor is, the only buggy thing is on FF, it moves the cursor to the end of the text after inserting, instead of staying where the char was inserted.

Notably, I haven't been able to test this on other OSs or browsers such as Safari or Camino.

If you could let me know what Browser you're using, that would be wonderful, and I'll try to fix it.

Thanks,

Tomisimo
May 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
Also, What is the difference between the umlaut, (which is what I thought this [ ü ] was, and the dieresis? They appear to be written the same and as nearly as I can tell the definition is very similar. I think maybe the umlaut is more Germanic? and the dieresis more latin? No?

In form the dieresis and umlaut are the same, in that they are the 2 dots over a vowel. Phonologically, they are not the same, since they refer to different linguistic phenomena.

bleak-uk
May 14, 2007, 11:29 PM
I'm using Internet Explorer 7.

Tomisimo
May 15, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm using Internet Explorer 7.

Could you do one quick test for me and see if the smilies are inserted correctly? Whey you click on one of the smilies on the right, does it get inserted where you were typing? Also are you using the rich text editor or the simple editor (when you format text, say you bold it, does it show up with these tags around it bolded text, or does it actually show up bolded?)

Thanks, that will help me get to the bottom of this.

bleak-uk
May 15, 2007, 08:59 AM
áWhen I click a smilie it goes where I'm typing like so: :)

But when I use a Spanish character it goes to the start like so:

When I bold text, it just appears bold on my screen without tags.

Tomisimo
May 15, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ok, thank you. I will try to get this fixed ASAP.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org