View Full Version : How Google translates without understanding

Tomisimo
May 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
This is just a link to an article called "How Google translates without understanding (http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/05/15/google_translation/)" It's an interesting discussion, but I think a real machine translation that works is still a *long* way off.

Jaqui
May 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
I read an article how the army is planning to create a headset that makes it possible to speak in English, and then it translates on the fly to any language and speaks it in that language automatically. I don't know how it works tho.

Tomisimo
May 23, 2007, 02:41 PM
I read an article how the army is planning to create a headset that makes it possible to speak in English, and then it translates on the fly to any language and speaks it in that language automatically. I don't know how it works tho.

That doesn´t seem very possible to me, with currently available technology.

celador
May 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
They don't have to make it translate always in proper grammar, just communicate the idea effectively. I rather think technology will adapt to that quite well.

Tomisimo
May 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
They don't have to make it translate always in proper grammar, just communicate the idea effectively. I rather think technology will adapt to that quite well.

Good point. If you just say the two words "need" "doctor" instead of "I need a doctor please", you'll still be understood.

celador
May 24, 2007, 01:00 AM
That reminds me of a joke

A the biker crashes, and laying in tangled agony he moans to the hippie on the roadside, "Call me an ambulance man, call me an ambulance."
and the hippie says, "ok man, ok, You are an ambulance."

So.. there could possibly be a breakdown in communication, I'll admit that.

Jaqui
May 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the joke, you made me smile. :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org