View Full Version : When you watch a Spanish-language movie, use Spanish, not English, subtitles

Tomisimo
November 26, 2009, 08:27 AM
I just ran across this article Foreign Subtitles Help but Native-Language Subtitles Harm Foreign Speech Perception (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0007785). It's longish but interesting and if you don't have time, just read the abstract. Basically what's going on is if you watch a foreign language movie for the purpose of learning that language, and you want to have subtitles, put the subtitles in the same language as is being spoken, instead of having the subtitles in your native language.

Perikles
November 26, 2009, 08:54 AM
Is there such a thing as a Spanish-language movie? I have never seen one, not even on Spanish TV. Everything is American with really bad dubbing. :mad:

chileno
November 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
Is there such a thing as a Spanish-language movie? I have never seen one, not even on Spanish TV. Everything is American with really bad dubbing. :mad:

What do you mean?

There aren't any Spanish movies available that you can watch where you live?

Tomisimo
November 26, 2009, 11:50 AM
I've seen more than a few movies of Spanish, Mexican, and Argentinian origin, filmed in Spanish. However I do have to agree that Hollywood is pretty dominant.

chileno
November 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
I've seen more than a few movies of Spanish, Mexican, and Argentinian origin, filmed in Spanish. However I do have to agree that Hollywood is pretty dominant.

Yes, dominant... :)

Perikles
November 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
There aren't any Spanish movies available that you can watch where you live?None that I know of. :(

chileno
November 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
None that I know of. :(

Well, at least they are "imported" :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

CrOtALiTo
November 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
I use both language when I watch movies in the TV.

AngelicaDeAlquezar
November 26, 2009, 12:09 PM
@Perikles: It seems you'll have to turn to the closest videoclub. ;)

Perikles
November 26, 2009, 12:32 PM
@Perikles: It seems you'll have to turn to the closest videoclub. ;)A nice idea, but we don't have a video machine. :duh:

tacuba
November 29, 2009, 08:24 PM

Wow, I'm very surprised. Check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_6228862_33?ie=UTF8&node=355856011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=05SBT10YB49KS3C4707R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358858601&pf_rd_i=355667011
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TT0MI/?tag=219-20)

Jessica
November 29, 2009, 08:28 PM
If I use Spanish subtitles I won't understand...:/ but it will help me

tacuba
November 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
If I use Spanish subtitles I won't understand...:/ but it will help me

But you'll start to associate sounds with words. When you listen to a movie it can sound like this: "Habléconélayerymedijoquevastaraquíestanoche."
But with the subtitles you will see: "Hablé con él ayer y me dijo que va a estar aquí esta noche", and so your brain will begin to associate words with sounds. This is a great way to improve listening skills.

chileno
November 29, 2009, 10:25 PM
My idea on this is that you have to just listen and let your brain "connect" with the action you are seeing. :-)

If you want to read, read a book, that later your brain will "connect" the word that have been red with those that are being heard.

I did it. :D

I might not have enough education, however I have been able to manage in English in less time than a lot of learned people have. And I mean, a lot less time.

I know my last statement will make some cringe from it... :o

CrOtALiTo
November 30, 2009, 12:00 AM
My idea on this is that you have to just listen and let your brain "connect" with the action you are seeing. :-)

If you want to read, read a book, that later your brain will "connect" the word that have been red with those that are being heard.

I did it. :D

I might not have enough education, however I have been able to manage in English in less time than a lot learned people have. And I mean, a lot less time.

I know my last statement will make some cringe from it... :o

Partner I haven't told you this, but you're intelligent, you have sufficient education.:D

irmamar
November 30, 2009, 12:29 AM

You can see many Spanish subtitled programs with the TDT menu (I guess you've got already it) ;) :)

Perikles
November 30, 2009, 01:51 AM
You can see many Spanish subtitled programs with the TDT menu (I guess you've got already it) ;) :)Sadly, the TDT signal here is so bad we can usually only get the Canarian channels with any degree of quality. :(

Wow, I'm very surprised. Check these out:
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TT0MI/?tag=219-20)Thanks for that, will do. :)

pjt33
November 30, 2009, 05:10 AM
A nice idea, but we don't have a video machine. :duh:
You can buy a cheap DVD player for about €20.

Perikles
November 30, 2009, 05:28 AM
You can buy a cheap DVD player for about €20.Yes, but I don't know where I could hire Spanish DVDs. :thinking:

hermit
November 30, 2009, 06:54 AM
Back when first learning to speak Spanish, I found movies in Spanish with
English subtitles to be a big help.

At this point, I like to watch films with both dialogue and subtitles in
Spanish - that's a help when local dialect in the film is unfamiliar to me.

A bit like a North American trying to decipher Cockney English...

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org