View Full Version : I've been wanting to practice...

Little
September 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
I thought I'd tell you all about this to see if you can help me. I have been studying spanish now for a while, and wehn I go eat at a Spanish restaurant I want to practice what I know with the waiters who speak Spanish. So I go in there all hyped and ready to practice but whenever the waiter comes I lose my nerve and can't start speaking Spanish. I don't know what's wrong with me. Do you have any tips on how to be brave in this? :(

Tomisimo
September 21, 2007, 09:01 AM
You just have to make a decision that you're going to do it. It helps if you don't care what other people think of you.

sosia
September 22, 2007, 04:56 AM
the first time make it only with easy words (Hola, adios, gracias, por favor)
the waiter will smile, but it will work. Perhaps he try to speak with you.
the next time easy phrases (por favor dos cervezas, por favor la cuenta)
and the next time you can speak all you want :D

Little
September 22, 2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you sosia, that's great advice, to start with easy words first and then progress to more complicated sentences.

bleitzow
October 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
Little -

I have the same trouble. I even get nervous talking to my Mexican friend because I want to get it "perfect" and I want her to be proud of me.

I learned right away to say "estoy estudiando español" (I'm studying Spanish). This lets people know right up front that you are new.

I have found that people are willing to talk if you just get up the nerve. They are willing to correct you, as long as you're willing to take the advice. I also say (not sure if it's correct), "habla lento por favor" (speak slow). I find that I can pick up more of the words if they slow down a little bit.

Like David said, you just have to go for it. I hope that helps. Good luck!

Brenda
San Diego, CA

Tomisimo
October 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
I also say (not sure if it's correct), "habla lento por favor" (speak slow).

Yep, that's fine. It can be habla (informal) or hable (more formal, shows more respect). You can also substitue despacio for lento if you want. They both mean slow and they are both very common.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org