View Full Version : help please!

sina
October 11, 2007, 07:33 PM
can someone pls help me translate this!!!!
Colombia is a Democracia
The president is Alvaro Uribe.
The country’s currency is the Colombian Peso.
Its major source of income is Petroleum, coal and coffee
One holiday isThe Bogota Carnival is very similar to mardi gras

sosia
October 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
Colombia es una democracia.
El presidente es Alvaro Uribe.
La moneda nacional es el peso colombiano.
Su mayor fuente de ingresos son el petróleo, el carbón y el café.
Una festividad es el carnaval de Bogotá que es muy parecido al Mardi Gras.

I hope this is not your school's homework. :D

sina
October 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
Thank you sosia, by the way what does your name mean? And don't worry, I'm not going to copy exactly what you wrote for answers or something. These are parts of an essay I am writing, that I couldn't figure out how to say.

sosia
October 19, 2007, 01:06 AM
You can copy exactly what I said, because we give it free of charge :D for everyone.

sosia(sosias): double, doppelgänger It's my "other me" in the forums :D

sosia: (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Greek-2004/sosia.htm)
In ancient Greek there was the name SOSIAS (sigma-omega-sigma-iota with the acute accent-alpha-sigma) which is for example a slave's name in The Wasps” by Aristophanes.

It is however after a long time that this name took the meaning of “the living double of another“.

This happened after the Roman playwrigth Plautus (c. 254-184 B.C.) used the name Sosias in his comedy “Amphitruo” where there is a servant of Amphitryon just named Sosias.

In this comedy it is the god Mercury who assumes the double of Sosia to help Zeus that, disguised as Amphitryon, came to Alcmene, Amphitryon ‘s wife, and seduced her, while Amphitryon was away from home.

To conclude, the word ‘sosia’ was originally a name that later had the meaning of ‘double’, thanks to Plautus.

sina
October 24, 2007, 04:00 PM
Thank you so much!!! Besos :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org