View Full Version : pensé y pensaba

gramatica
November 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
Hola a todos:

¿Alguien me podría explicar las diferencias entre "pensé" y "pensaba" y darme algunos ejemplos, por favor?

¿Me pueden corregir todos los errores, por favor?

Muchas gracias

Rusty
November 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
Pensé en acompañarte al cine.
(I thought about going with you to the theatre.)
Pensé is in the preterite tense, so it indicates an action that is complete. Cuidado, some verbs have a different meaning when used in the preterite, as opposed to the imperfect tense. For instance, check out the difference between 'supe', preterite form of 'saber', and 'sabía'.

Pensaba en acompañarte al cine cuando tocaste la puerta.
(I was thinking about going with you to the theatre when you knocked at the door.)
Pensaba is in the imperfect tense, indicating an action that was in the past, but ongoing or not yet completed. It may also mean a habitual action, as in, 'pensaba en tí todos los días.' In English, we would say 'I thought about you everyday.' But, because this is a habitual action, it takes the imperfect tense in Spanish.

There are other rules governing the use of the preterite and imperfect tenses. I believe they may have been sufficiently covered somewhere in these forums. Perhaps Tomísimo could help point you in the right direction.

gramatica
November 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
Thank you very much

Also, si acabas de ver un programa de tele. se podría decir "Pensaba que estaba muy bien. Hablaban de.........."=I thought it was really good. They were talking about............/Pensé que estaba muy bien. Hablaban de.....=I thought it was really good. They were talking about.........-Pensé que estaba muy bien. Hablaron de.....=I thought it was really good. They talked about........

Thank you very much

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org