View Full Version : The love of reading

JPablo
October 26, 2010, 03:02 AM
"El amor a la lectura" or "El amor por la lectura"?

Maybe this is more a question for the section on words, expressions and cliches... Nonetheless, given that it is a "cultural" topic I just place it here.

Which one is the most used Spanish expression?
Or is there many other options?

¿El placer de leer?
¿La bibliofilia?
¿La filología?
¿El amor a los libros?

How is that love rekindled? How does it start?

chileno
October 26, 2010, 08:27 AM
By the way, I would say love for reading. I don't know if I am correct.

JPablo
October 26, 2010, 09:04 AM
Mmm... for whatever is worth a google search gives (without going into an accurate counting)
285,000 for "love for reading" and
1,570,000 for "love of reading".

"El amor a la lectura" 2,900,000
"El amor por la lectura" 317,000.

But regardless of that, what is your personal opinion?
What is your take?

chileno
October 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mmm... for whatever is worth a google search gives (without going into an accurate counting)

What is your take?

Todas las que expusiste son buenas para mí. :)

pjt33
October 26, 2010, 11:42 AM
"El amor de la lectura" tiene tantos ghits como "...a...".

JPablo
October 26, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ah, gracias Pjt33. ¿Cuál te gusta más a ti?

sosia
October 27, 2010, 01:58 AM
para mi es "el amor por la lectura" incluso hay un libro de Virginia Woolf titulado asi, y es mi primera opción. "El amor a la lectura" lo entendería, pero no lo usaría.

Saludos :D

irmamar
October 27, 2010, 02:43 AM
A o por, sin predilecciones personales. Pero creo que la preposición "a" le otorga cualidades humanas: amar algo/amar a alguien. ;)

JPablo
October 27, 2010, 04:29 AM
Gracias, Sosia e Irma. :)

pjt33
October 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Ah, gracias Pjt33. ¿Cuál te gusta más a ti?
Ha mencionado "de" porque fue la primera opción que se me ocurrió. Pero tiene una desventaja, que aunque el sentido común no lo permite la sintaxis sí permite entenderlo como un genitivo subjetivo (que es la lectura la que ama).

chileno
October 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
He mencionado "de" porque fue la primera opción que se me ocurrió. Pero tiene una desventaja, que aunque el sentido común no lo permite, la sintaxis sí permite entenderlo como un genitivo subjetivo (que es la lectura la que ama).
:):):)

CrOtALiTo
October 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
"El amor a la lectura" or "El amor por la lectura"?

Maybe this is more a question for the section on words, expressions and cliches... Nonetheless, given that it is a "cultural" topic I just place it here.

Which one is the most used Spanish expression?
Or is there many other options?

¿El placer de leer?
¿La bibliofilia?
¿La filología?
¿El amor a los libros?

How is that love rekindled? How does it start?

In my own idea, I would say The love for the reading or for the books.

That can rekindled in that form.

Have fun.

JPablo
October 28, 2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you all for your input! :)

CrOtALiTo
October 29, 2010, 09:56 AM
Have you keep in mind my proposal?

You're welcome.

Pablo.

JPablo
October 30, 2010, 03:48 AM
I keep it in mind, Crotalito, although I'd take the "the" out... i.e., "The love for reading" or (better to me) "the love for books". Thanks again.

CrOtALiTo
October 30, 2010, 10:53 PM
Ok.

Pablo I will keep it mind then..

If you wish to read books instead of watch television spoken in English even, then that can result benefit for you skills.

I will read more books, maybe I can upgrade my speech soon.
Normally I pretend to read more post and well just I watch yours post, so I can compare my post with yours ones, and I can do some corrections for myself.

JPablo
November 01, 2010, 01:31 AM
Excellent!

gracemayer
November 01, 2010, 03:15 AM

What is your take?

I would use 'love of reading'. And for the person who's been bitten by the bug 'a bookworm', which I can't think of in Spanish...

JPablo
November 01, 2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks a lot, Gracemayer! :)
A "bookworm" in Spanish is "un ratón de biblioteca" (literally, "a librarymouse") :rolleyes: (It may be a bit derogatory or jocular in Spanish... not sure if the English 'bookworm' has any of the 'negative' connotations.)

gracemayer
November 01, 2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks a lot, Gracemayer! :)
A "bookworm" in Spanish is "un ratón de biblioteca" (literally, "a librarymouse") :rolleyes: (It may be a bit derogatory or jocular in Spanish... not sure if the English 'bookworm' has any of the 'negative' connotations.)

Yes - it's usually used jokingly and can be slightly derogatory, though when they used it about me I always took it as a compliment ;)

JPablo
November 01, 2010, 07:04 AM
That's excellent... (that may be a reason why I use to read my books at the yard, or at the garden... so I was not sitting inside there...) :)

CrOtALiTo
November 01, 2010, 06:08 PM
That's excellent... (that may be a reason why I use to read my books at the yard, or at the garden... so I was not sitting inside there...) :)

Yes simply you get an excellent relaxation during your reading, I have wishes to read in front of the beach, here very close to my hose, in fact crossing to the street hahhaaha, but I haven't the animus and the opportunity to do it, because I feel shy with the people passing near me.

JPablo
November 02, 2010, 08:02 AM
Well, you can always say "Hi" to the passerby people... and keep at it... :)

CrOtALiTo
November 02, 2010, 09:18 PM
Yes it's a wonderful idea.

But I am shy with the people.

Don't you?

The passerby something are very complicate with others.

JPablo
November 03, 2010, 01:56 AM
Glad you like it.

Well, that is your own choice. (I used to be very shy... but not anymore.)

It is true that people may have complexities, but if you do to them what you'd like others to do to you, things tend to go right... (unless you happen to run into a bad criminal... in which case... you could also help him/her...)

You can observe and use your judgment... but every being is basically good, and wants to help and be helped. For some of them that "basic goodness" is very down deep... but that's another subject...

Or maybe the same, because actually "the love or reading" has to do with people, that is, writers wrote books to entertain people, to give them knowledge, to wake them up... so "to read a book" "just for oneself" maybe good for your own edification... then again, read it to help yourself and help others is quite a greater edification... :)

(If you want understand and predict people's actions, and know for real about Human Behaviour, I recommend you "Science of Survival" by L. Ron Hubbard...) (But that's non-fiction, by the way... although you have it in English and in Spanish... and some other 14 or 15 languages.)

CrOtALiTo
November 04, 2010, 11:02 PM
Glad you like it.

Well, that is your own choice. (I used to be very shy... but not anymore.)

It is true that people may have complexities, but if you do to them what you'd like others to do to you, things tend to go right... (unless you happen to run into a bad criminal... in which case... you could also help him/her...)

You can observe and use your judgment... but every being is basically good, and wants to help and be helped. For some of them that "basic goodness" is very down deep... but that's another subject...

Or maybe the same, because actually "the love or reading" has to do with people, that is, writers wrote books to entertain people, to give them knowledge, to wake them up... so "to read a book" "just for oneself" maybe good for your own edification... then again, read it to help yourself and help others is quite a greater edification... :)

(If you want understand and predict people's actions, and know for real about Human Behaviour, I recommend you "Science of Survival" by L. Ron Hubbard...) (But that's non-fiction, by the way... although you have it in English and in Spanish... and some other 14 or 15 languages.)

Oneself can read in any place and wherever, sometimes oneself blocked our mind and we become and close mind, you know it, sometimes isn't easy to do something front to people more here where there are people who don't appreciate your work plus with people ignorant (I'm sorry it). Then you right, oneself can get or upgrade the knowledge trough of the books, and I would like to wake me up with my prefer book in a future, because, I dream with my decay with my bible in my hands, and it take god works, I know this, I need to work more hard and desire to more learning for me and my work.

Now there're much books with great threads specially I like computation and severs Administration books for my work you know, because of that way I can get more new methods and new tips for my work and my leaning it, I'm consider to get news advices trough of people like you and others ones.

Thank you.

I'm going to the beach finish this cold front, and I will take shit about the ground and I will turn over my head and my glance to the sky and I will ask something else to god, that is, it gives me more knowledge before of my oldness.:applause:

JPablo
November 05, 2010, 03:05 AM
Vale, hombre. Pues, nada... A disfrutar.

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2010, 11:11 PM
No se enoje my dear friend it's was a just commentary.

Vale Lord Pablo que cuenta andando haya en esos rumbos lejanos.

JPablo
November 06, 2010, 06:38 AM
I understand, it was just a commentary, I just said to you to "enjoy", "vale" in Spain is just an "acknowledgment" (like "Sale" or "Sale y vale" in México, right?)

¿Sale?

(By the way, what I don't understand your second sentence... not sure what you are trying to say...)

At any rate, you are lucky to be living in front of the beach, at Ciudad del Carmen... ;) :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar
November 08, 2010, 04:09 PM
@Pablo: "Vale, Lord Pablo. ¿Qué cuenta, andando allá, en esos rumbos lejanos?" ;)

CrOtALiTo
November 09, 2010, 04:40 PM
I understand, it was just a commentary, I just said to you to "enjoy", "vale" in Spain is just an "acknowledgment" (like "Sale" or "Sale y vale" in México, right?)

¿Sale?

(By the way, what I don't understand your second sentence... not sure what you are trying to say...)

At any rate, you are lucky to be living in front of the beach, at Ciudad del Carmen... ;) :)

I'm sorry.

What are you acknowledging me?

What did you understand me?
My Spanish commentary or What?

JPablo
November 09, 2010, 09:30 PM
I was acknowledging your previous post. (Dando "acuse de recibo" haciéndote saber que te había entendido.)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org