View Full Version : Monicongo

pierrre
November 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hi all, I was reading El Coronel no tiene quien le escriba and came across this line. "Ya ni siquiera no me acuerdo de los monicongos". I do not know the word monicongos and could not find it in a dictionary. Can you please help me with an English equivalent for it?

Perikles
November 19, 2010, 07:51 AM
monicongo is a cartoon film. :)

JPablo
November 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
That is one definition of the word "monicongo".

I found several additional definitions,

1. "Monicongo" applies to a kid when his face is dirty.
2. "Monicongo" is a black man from Congo.
3. "Monicongo" doll used in voodoo practices.

In the context of talking about Cine Perikles' definition is most likely totally ad hoc. It will be interesting to know how this came about.

I also found this,
MONICONGOS.) Monigote. Muñeco de trapo elaborado en mala forma, deliberadamente, para hacerlo objeto de burlas. 2. Persona a la que se toma por tal. “Como se case con Rubira, Juan va a pasá trabajo porque ella lo trata como un monicongo”.

Probably in the novel she is talking about the "cartoon film" and/or the "dolls" or the "fools" that appear on the screen.

(I am just noting these points above as a guess... if someone has some authoritative data... be my guest!) :)

pierrre
November 22, 2010, 05:45 AM
Perikles and JPablo, to say that I thank you both for your assistance in clarifying the meaning of "monicongo" is definitely an understatement. JPablo for the additional insight into the possible meaning of the word, Chevere, hombre.

poli
November 22, 2010, 05:56 AM
A Colombian associate of mine confirms that monicongos along with muñequitos are terms for cartoons in her country.

JPablo
November 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
You're welcome, Pierre. :)
Thank you, Poli, for the confirmation.

Chévere! ;)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org