Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can I.... vs. May I..... (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6655)

Fazor December 28, 2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 66608)
Sorry, I disagree.:) "May I" is perfectly normal speech in the UK for anybody whom I care to associate with. :rolleyes: I mean for anybody with whom I care to associate. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah, yes but just because the English language is named after England doesn't mean they speak English over there! (I bet reading our 'American English' makes you UK'ers cringe!)

I was reading an article today from 'The Sun'. It sounded so weird!

Perikles December 28, 2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 66611)
Ah, yes but just because the English language is named after England doesn't mean they speak English over there! (I bet reading our 'American English' makes you UK'ers cringe!)

I was reading an article today from 'The Sun'. It sounded so weird!

You bet it does. And 'The Sun' is for people with no vocabulary, so it really is weird. :rolleyes:

laepelba December 28, 2009 12:21 PM

I worked a part time job in a ticket box office for a performing arts theater once when I was a new teacher (moonlighting). I asked a patron something like "Can I have your last name, please?" To which I received a huge long lecture about the proper use of the English language. I have been super sensitive about that particular grammar point since then.

Fazor December 28, 2009 12:30 PM

Well then, I'm forced to amend my advice, and instead say to listen to Laepelba and Perikles; use "May I" when asking for / asking permission for something. :)

laepelba December 28, 2009 12:38 PM

May I suggest, Fazor, that you do what works for you, and for where you live and conduct your daily activities. :)

Fazor December 28, 2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 66617)
May I suggest, Fazor, that you do what works for you, and for where you live and conduct your daily activities. :)

Usualmente lo es más bien. That really doesn't sound right to me. "Usually that is best."?

Cuando aprendo español, soy más interesado en la 'lengua de las calles' . . . ¡pero no quiero insultar alguien!

laepelba December 28, 2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 66620)
Usualmente lo es más bien. That really doesn't sound right to me. "Usually that is best."?

Cuando aprendo español, soy más interesado en la 'lengua de las calles' . . . ¡pero no quiero insultar alguien!

En mi aprendizaje del español, quiero una combinación de los ambos. Quiero usar la lengua correctamente. Pero, en el mismo tiempo, no quiero sonar como un libro de texto (o manual, o curso....)

Perikles December 28, 2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 66621)
En mi aprendizaje del español, quiero una combinación de los ambos. Quiero usar la lengua correctamente. Pero, en el mismo tiempo, no quiero sonar como un libro de texto (o manual, o curso....)

It is a difficult balance. Some time ago I learned German. One day, a German who didn't know me said (in German) "you are not German, are you?" I said, "no, I'm not". "Ha" he said "I knew you couldn't be German because you don't make any mistakes".

You really know a language when you know which mistakes you should make. :)

CrOtALiTo December 28, 2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 66600)
@Crotalito:

Take this advice for what it's worth, I'm no grammar teacher. But. . .

"Could", "may", and "can" are tricky to use in English. When starting a sentence with "May I ... ?", you are asking for permission to do something. "Can I" or "Could I" are less formal, but can also be asking permission. A second meaning for "Can I?" or "Could I?" is when asking if something is possible.

(Asking permission)
"Can I borrow your computer while I attempt to fix it?"
"Could I borrow your computer while I attempt to fix it?"
"May I borrow your computer while I attempt to fix it?"
All of the above are acceptable, but "May I" is the most polite / formal way to say it.

(Asking about the possibility)
"Can I fix the computer without the CD?"
"Could I fix the computer without the CD?"
Either would work, but "Can I" is the most common, at least around my parts.

Could, can, and may have many other uses too.

Thank you fazor for your answer.

Only I want to do a little modification in the text.

May I realize the reparation of the computer today.

Only I exchanged the word fix for reparation.

I believe that the second choice is more acceptable.

Then May and Can, they together can be more polite than Could.

You have clarified my doubt.

Leapelda.

Why don't you never understand my questions?:?:

I'd like to knowing it, so I can fix my mistake.

Or perhaps I can know where I'm wrong.

laepelba December 28, 2009 01:08 PM

And to be honest, even when using English, I try to avoid making what others would consider "acceptable" mistakes. I'm the nerd who proofreads every single e-mail I send, even those to my closest friends ... just to make sure that my spelling, grammar, and wordings are correct. Sometimes I'll use a slang term like "gonna" or "hafta" or something like that, and then go back and change it because I don't like the sound of it coming from me. LOL! Like I said ... NERD! But, seriously, I would like my Spanish usage to parallel that of my English in that sense. To err on the side of correct grammar/usage over the street slang, but not to the point of sounding toooooo stuffy.