Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Doblar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3286)

pjt33 December 31, 2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67065)
How so?

At least as used by my teacher, "dar la vuelta a la chica" means to raise one arm and turn the lady through 360 degrees, passing under it, and "girar" is to gently rotate the line of dance. When she told us to girar and I tried turning her under my arm, there was a bit of confusion to sort out.

chileno December 31, 2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 67105)
At least as used by my teacher, "dar la vuelta a la chica" means to raise one arm and turn the lady through 360 degrees, passing under it, and "girar" is to gently rotate the line of dance. When she told us to girar and I tried turning her under my arm, there was a bit of confusion to sort out.

Pero eso es porque la profe ya les dijo lo que significaba "dar vuelta a la chica" que es un paso que les está enseñando.

Porque si me dices que me " de vuelta a la chica" no tienes idea de lo que le haría a la pobre chica... :rolleyes:

Ya. Prometo que este va a ser el último chiste. No más. Lo prometo solemnemente. :)

Elaina December 31, 2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67123)
Pero eso es porque la profe ya les dijo lo que significaba "dar vuelta a la chica" que un paso que les está enseñando.

Porque si me dices que me " de vuelta a la chica" no tienes idea de lo que le haría a la pobre chica... :rolleyes:

Ya. Prometo que este va a ser el último chiste. No más. Lo prometo solemnemente. :)

:lol::lol:

Por favor no dejes de hacer chistes. La vida es muy corta para tomar todo en serio.

Ademas no te creo......pero.... las promesas se hicieron para quebrarse, no?

:wicked:

chileno December 31, 2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 67139)
:lol::lol:

Por favor no dejes de hacer chistes. La vida es muy corta para tomar todo en serio.

Ademas no te creo......pero.... las promesas se hicieron para quebrarse, no?

:wicked:

:):D:lol:

Gracias.

No, de verdad. Creo que mucha gente se anoja conmigo.

Una cosa es segura. No pierdo mi sentido del humor. Extraño, pero sentido del humor al fin y al cabo.

:)

CrOtALiTo December 31, 2009 03:40 PM

Why is used the word Away in that phrase when the word guardar is keep?

chileno December 31, 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 67153)
Why is used the word Away in that phrase when the word guardar is keep?

Where, what who?

CrOtALiTo December 31, 2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67182)
Where, what who?

In the robot's post.

There says that you can use away instead of keep.:)

Rusty December 31, 2009 09:57 PM

put away = guardar
stow = guardar
save = guardar
store = guardar
keep = guardar

There are several other translations.

'Put away' is a phrasal verb. When we use phrasal verbs, the object pronoun is placed in between the components: put them away
Some equivalent phrases for 'put them away': 'stored them', 'saved them', 'stowed them'

We wouldn't use 'kept them' in the sentence above.

CrOtALiTo January 01, 2010 05:22 PM

Thank you for the contribution.

I will stored them in my personal dictionary.

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 01, 2010 07:21 PM

@pjt: That's what contexts are for. If you're driving or giving directions for arriving to a place, they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 67056)
Dobla la tierra gira cada veinticuatro horas, por lo menos no dobla gira con más rapidez porque me causaría náuseas:yuck:

Same thing pjt said: they are not always synonyms. In the case of "revolving" they are definitely not. :)

And a small advice on style: this kind of sentences sound better if you start them with the subject... starting them with the verb is not incorrect, but doesn't sound natural. :)