Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tips for remembering vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=344)

Rusty February 25, 2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze (Post 27281)
Ooh, excellent thread! I just got so many great ideas to fight stagnation and boredom with my learning tools of choice. ¡Muchas gracias a todos!

Small corrections.

AutumnBreeze February 25, 2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 27282)
Small corrections.

Ahh, I get what I did wrong :p . Love this forum! :love:

ewomack February 27, 2009 07:59 AM

For me, memorizing the words to songs and singing them ad inifinitum really helps to solidify vocabulary. I have quite a bit of music en Español with lyrics - I try to memorize the words enough to sing along. Then I have it. Most of the words I have learned this way never leave.

CrOtALiTo February 27, 2009 06:06 PM

Yes. I agree with you. I like so much to music at English. Sometimes I try to singing them at the same time I try to learn as is it pronunciation. And also I try to learn the word. Of this way of learning I have learnt much and the words never leave my mind. So I think that the best to way of learn the English is improving the English with someone or if you can speak with the American people.

Anima February 28, 2009 06:27 PM

One thing that really helps me is that when I learn a new word, I try to picture the thing if I can, instead of the word in english. For example, if I were learning the word "manzana" instead of thinking "Apple, apple, manzana, apple" over and over again, I would try to picture as many kinds of apple as I could while thinking the word manzana.

That helps me because it makes it easier to think in the language because when I see an apple, no matter what language I'm using, I can think "manzana", you see?

CrOtALiTo March 01, 2009 10:02 AM

Yes. I can understand your methods to learning. But I feel that it's a few harder to do at least some many persons can to do it and other not. If I try to picturing me the word or relation with some object the word it would can confusing me. I think that hence you can learn the words as example you can read the threads wrote for all us in both languages.

But if you feel that is easier your method to learn the language then it's ok.

vita32 February 23, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramses (Post 13486)
Yeah, but I strongly believe that there's a general path someone can (or should) walk in order to become fluent. When you speak English, do you think about grammar all the time? Maybe once in a while, with complex sentences, but not in general. Learning a language is all about growing an intuition. People who say they *need* to understand *each and every* piece of grammar before they can be fluent are talking BS. You can't be fluent when you think about stuff like grammar all the time. Natives just rule regarding their native tongue because they don't think about the correctness of their language.

They grammar-loving people you've come across: are they near-native fluent? I guess not, because that impossible. Sure, you can be a grammar lover, but please only be one when you're already fluent at the language in question (concentrate on the hows first, the whys will come later).

What you're saying is true if the learner is surrounded by native speakers, since the learner can listen and immatate them without thinking or paying attention to grammar. :twocents:

pinosilano March 01, 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chorbdaddy (Post 2061)
I like to record an audo file on my computer and play it a couple times a day on my ipod.

Es lo que estoy haciendo con "La Granja de los Animales" y aprovecho de traducir por mi cuenta, sin ir a mirar el ebook en español, sino preguntando en los foros.:crazy:

irmamar March 02, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinosilano (Post 106564)
Es lo que estoy haciendo con "La Granja de los Animales" y aprovecho de traducir por mi cuenta, sin ir a mirar el ebook en español, sino preguntando en los foros.:crazy:

Sí, lo hemos notado. :lol: :rose:

happyman March 07, 2011 02:46 PM

Vocabulary can be guessed, grammar must be learned and committed to memory. A hippie-like "just go with it, man" attitude is like walking through a maze without a map. Eventually you'll figure out where to go, but a map makes it easier to make sense of the confusion. Also, Anki kicks butt; it saves your progress.