Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Especially and specially (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1761)

María José August 12, 2008 01:40 AM

Especially and specially

I've never been able to tell the difference between especially and specially so I tend to use them indiscriminately and cross my fingers for luck. Any tips?:confused:

sosia August 12, 2008 02:24 AM

I always use specially. I didn't know especially exists.
greetings :D

María José August 12, 2008 03:23 AM

Lucky you...:D So far, it has saved you a lot of brain-racking.

poli August 12, 2008 06:08 AM

They are very similar, but there is a small difference. For example you can say, She treats her friends specially.:thumbsup: It would be incorrect to say, She treats her friends especially:thumbsdown:. But you can say She treats her friends especially well:thumbsup:
You can say, The meal was made specially:thumbsup:
You cannot say, The meal was made especially:thumbsdown:
but, you can say, The meal was made especially for you:thumbsup:

This may be the rule but please correct me if I'm wrong, Rustu and other language people:
Specially works best as an adverb.
Especially works best as an adjective or when followed by a prepositional phrase or as an auxilliary adverb.

Alfonso August 12, 2008 07:13 AM

I don't think any of both especially and specially is an adjective. I think both are adverbs. On the phrases you gave, Poli, both work like adverbs.

The adjectives would be: special / especial.
The adverbs: specially / especially.

If there is a difference between these two words (which I don't have a clue about) it must be because they mean different things or they are used in different contexts. Anyway, I'm more of the opinion that they mean the same.

For the moment, I don't see the difference.

María José August 12, 2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 13916)
I don't think any of both especially and specially is an adjective. I think both are adverbs. On the phrases you gave, Poli, both work like adverbs.

The adjectives would be: special / especial.
The adverbs: specially / especially.

If there is a difference between these two words (which I don't have a clue about) it must be because they mean different things or they are used in different contexts. Anyway, I'm more of the opinion that they mean the same.

For the moment, I don't see the difference.

So far I've never been able to see it myself either, even though it's explained in grammar books and I've asked different people several times.:)

María José August 12, 2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 13905)
They are very similar, but there is a small difference. For example you can say, She treats her friends specially.:thumbsup: It would be incorrect to say, She treats her friends especially:thumbsdown:. But you can say She treats her friends especially well:thumbsup:
You can say, The meal was made specially:thumbsup:
You cannot say, The meal was made especially:thumbsdown:
but, you can say, The meal was made especially for you:thumbsup:

This may be the rule but please correct me if I'm wrong, Rustu and other language people:
Specially works best as an adverb.
Especially works best as an adjective or when followed by a prepositional phrase or as an auxilliary adverb.

Thanks, Poli. But I'm still clueless. I'll read your explanation again when I have more time.

poli August 12, 2008 07:24 AM

Alfonso, please review my examples. The ones with thumbs up are correct. Review their roles as a part of speech. You should be able to see that specially and especially have a different gramatical function and perhaps adjective is not the
term. Auxiliary adverb is better (an adverb to embellish another adverb like muy) may be a better term.

Think of especially as something similar to very. The word specially does not correspond to very--especially does.

María José August 12, 2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 13921)
Alfonso, please review my examples. The ones with thumbs up are correct. Review their roles as a part of speech. You should be able to see that specially and especially have a different gramatical function and perhaps adjective is not the
term. Auxiliary adverb is better (an adverb to embellish another adverb like muy) may be a better term.

Think of especially as something similar to very. The word specially does not correspond to very--especially does.

The comparison between especially and very did help. :thumbsup:

Rusty August 12, 2008 07:56 AM

The word especially, always used as an adverb, means:
to an unusual or exceptional degree (This building is especially large.)
to single out one among a range (They were all winners, especially Joe.)
chiefly (There are many great violinists, especially men.)
for a specific or particular purpose (This brush, especially designed for removing pet hair, makes a great gift.)

The adverb specially means:
for a special or particular purpose, person, or occasion
(The program was specially for children.)
(This brush, specially designed to remove pet hair better than any other pet hair remover, makes an exceptional gift.)
(The especially tall building had specially designed turbolifts to carry passengers to the higher floors more quickly.)

As you can see, the last definition of especially and the only definition of specially are quite similar. This is probably why there is a great deal of confusion between the words. As Poli pointed out, however, there are certainly times when they can't (properly) be switched. It's improper to say, "The building was specially tall," for example.

ElDanés August 12, 2008 08:04 AM

Normally one says that if you don't know which one to use, use especially. It's more common than the other, so the chances that it will fit is bigger. Note that this is not a rule, but just a little help.

poli August 12, 2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 13927)
for a specific or particular purpose (This brush, especially designed for removing pet hair, makes a great gift.)

(This brush, specially designed to remove pet hair better than any other pet hair remover, makes an exceptional gift.)
(The especially tall building had specially designed turbolifts to carry passengers to the higher floors more quickly.)

As you can see, the last definition of especially and the only definition of specially are quite similar. This is probably why there is a great deal of confusion between the words. As Poli pointed out, however, there are certainly times when they can't (properly) be switched. It's improper to say, "The building was specially tall," for example.

Thanks Rusty for being thorough and correcting me. It's an adverb not an adjective. An example of how especially is used as an auxiliary adverb (like the word very) , and specially is not is Rusty's final sentece in the above quote. It's best to used especially if the sentence is followed by a prepostitional phrase. (the suit made especially for you)

Alfonso August 12, 2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 13921)
Auxiliary adverb is better (an adverb to embellish another adverb like muy) may be a better term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 13905)
  1. She treats her friends specially.:thumbsup:
  2. She treats her friends especially well:thumbsup:....... It can be very.
  3. The meal was made specially:thumbsup:
  4. The meal was made especially for you:thumbsup:..... It cannot be very.

The conclusion I get is that especially doesn't mean very.

And I don't think auxiliary adverb is a proper term for especially, since in the examples you gave once works modifying another adverb (2. especially well), and once works modifying a verb (4. made especially). The conclusion is that it works both, as much linked to an adverb as linked to a verb, as any other adverb.

Anyway, I had never heard before of the term auxiliary adverb, and Google only gives 84 entries for it, not all of them related to this subject.

<snip>

Alfonso August 12, 2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

So, the question is how to distinguish when to use especially or specially when it means for a special or particular purpose, person or occasion, as it's partially the same as for a specific or particular purpose.

My conclusion is that when it means specifically you can use both.

And what about the adjectives? I guess special and especial work the same as their related adverbs. Am I right?

Rusty August 12, 2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 13955)
So, the question is how to distinguish when to use especially or specially when it means for a special or particular purpose, person or occasion, as it's partially the same as for a specific or particular purpose.

My conclusion is that when it means specifically you can use both.

And what about the adjectives? I guess special and especial work the same as their related adverbs. Am I right?

I admit that it's hard to distinguish the two adverbs when they mean for a special or particular purpose and for a specific or particular purpose. Here I almost always choose especially.

As far as the adjective forms, the former is used almost exclusively in American English. I've never heard anyone say especial.

poli August 12, 2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 13951)

And I don't think auxiliary adverb is a proper term for especially, since in the examples you gave once works modifying another adverb (2. especially well), and once works modifying a verb (4. made especially). The conclusion is that it works both, as much linked to an adverb as linked to a verb, as any other adverb.

Anyway, I had never heard before of the term auxiliary adverb, and Google only gives 84 entries for it, not all of them related to this subject.

Are you a grammar-fiction writer, Poli? It's OK if you invent words... But, inventing grammar concepts should take you a little longer. ;)

This may be an invented concept all language is invented. I did not acuñar this concept, but thanks for the compliment.

When especially describes the adverb it is auxiliary much the way very (muy) is. If another word for auxiliary suits you, find it and use it. The word specially doesn't fulfill that function as well. Auxiliary means help it helps discribe the main adverb or adjective.
(He is especially tall. He works especially well.) In this function the
word especially (like very) doesn't stand on its own. It supports a principal adverb or adjective and is therefore auxiliary..
I will repeat especially should be used when it is followed by a prepositional phrase.
Feel free to google yourself silly and find 84 entries or 184 entries or 184,000 entries. It doesn't matter. What I've written makes perfect sense.

<snip>

Alfonso August 12, 2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 13958)
This may be an invented concept all language is invented. I did not acuñar this concept, but thanks for the compliment.

When especially describes the adverb it is auxiliary much the way very (muy) is. If another word for auxiliary suits you, find it and use it. The word specially doesn't fulfill that function as well. Auxiliary means help it helps discribe the main adverb or adjective.
word especially (like very) doesn't stand on its own. It supports a principal adverb or adjective and is therefore auxiliary..
I will repeat especially should be used when it is followed by a prepositional phrase.
Feel free to google yourself silly and find 84 entries or 184 entries or 184,000 entries. It doesn't matter. What I've written makes perfect sense. <snip> :)

Muchas gracias por tu explicación. Está todo realmente claro. Gracias de nuevo.

Tomisimo August 12, 2008 11:51 AM

I think Poli's and Rusty's explanations clear this up pretty well, especially post #10 :)

Tomisimo August 12, 2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Feel free to google yourself silly and find 84 entries or 184 entries or 184,000 entries. It doesn't matter. What I've written makes perfect sense. <snip> :)

Auxilliary adverbs don't exist as a existing, defined, agreed-upon grammatical category, but on the other hand, what poli means is understandable- he's describing how one adverb is used to modify another adverb and thus auxilliary adverb as a description and not a canonical grammatical category makes perfect sense.

poli August 12, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 13965)
Auxilliary adverbs don't exist as a existing, defined, agreed-upon grammatical category, but on the other hand, what poli means is understandable- he's describing how one adverb is used to modify another adverb and thus auxilliary adverb as a description and not a canonical grammatical category makes perfect sense.

Apparently the term auxiliary adverb confused some so I did some research to find out the technical word for the unique function which the word especially and the word very (when used as a adverb) serve.
The term is particularizer adverb http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/glossary/p.htm.
These adverbs function differently from other types of adverbs, and need to be categorized separately. Although they are auxiliary by function, particularizer is the canonical word -- a word I've never seen before.

Tomisimo August 12, 2008 04:30 PM

Interesting research Poli, I'd never heard that term before either.

María José August 12, 2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Rusty :)

Alfonso August 12, 2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

He reportado este mensaje por contener insultos contra mi persona. La contestación que he obtenido de Tomísimo no me parece suficiente pues, si bien admite que hay insultos, sólo me asegura que I will ask Poli to be more careful not to insult people. Quisiera saber si se van a admitir insultos en el foro. Espero una explicación, exijo disculpas y exijo que se borre el post de Poli.

María José August 12, 2008 06:28 PM

Polite follow up:Thank you all, guys.
My real feelings: Why did I ask?:worried: I never thought those two words could have caused so much confrontation. But I guess confrontation is good, I just don't have the tools to deal with it.
Thanks, David, for managing to say the right thing whenever necessary.:pelota:

Alfonso August 12, 2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María José (Post 13988)
Polite follow up:Thank you all, guys.
My real feelings: Why did I ask?:worried: I never thought those two words could have caused so much confrontation. But I guess confrontation is good, I just don't have the tools to deal with it.
Thanks, David, for managing to say the right thing whenever necessary.:pelota:

También yo creo que la confrontación de las ideas es buena, pero delicada. Aquí, en cambio, no ha habido confrontación de las ideas. Lo que ha habido son insultos y, tras estos, el silenciamiento de mis ideas.
Cuando alguien ve criticadas sus ideas, debe responder con argumentos, nunca con insultos. Cuando éstos se producen ya no hay confrontación que merezca la pena.

María José August 13, 2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 13995)
También yo creo que la confrontación de las ideas es buena, pero delicada. Aquí, en cambio, no ha habido confrontación de las ideas. Lo que ha habido son insultos y, tras estos, el silenciamiento de mis ideas.
Cuando alguien ve criticadas sus ideas, debe responder con argumentos, nunca con insultos. Cuando éstos se producen ya no hay confrontación que merezca la pena.

Estoy de acuerdo, pero nadie está dentro de la cabeza de los demás.Y cosas que a tí te parecen hirientes, a mí o a otro no nos afectan en absoluto. Y viceversa.

poli August 13, 2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 13951)

Are you a grammar-fiction writer, Poli? It's OK if you invent words... But, inventing grammar concepts should take you a little longer. ;)

Alfonso,
Perdóname. Es que pensaba que contesté la ultima frase de este hilo con el mismo sal que tú me echaste. El concepto de la función de la forma adverbial de la palabra very no está inventado por mi. No soy un descuidado inventor de reglas falsas. No soy un grammar fiction writer, pero la idea de una vocación asi es graciosa. Cuando me contestó en un modo sardónico no me insultaste. Lo vi cómico, o sea un poquito duro. Quedo sorprendido que te insulté con mi contesta tambien dura. Lo dije en un modo jocular y en ningún modo en serio. Es claro que eres inteligente. Sinceramente, no es mi deseo mortificar a ti o a nadie;)

Alfonso August 13, 2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María José (Post 14003)
Estoy de acuerdo, pero nadie está dentro de la cabeza de los demás.Y cosas que a tí te parecen hirientes, a mí o a otro no nos afectan en absoluto. Y viceversa.

Me resulta difícil entender lo que quieres decir. La única conclusión que saco es que insultar no está mal, pues a unos les afecta y a otros no. No comparto este planteamiento, ni entiendo a qué viene este comentario.

Alfonso August 13, 2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 14010)
Alfonso,
Perdóname. Es que pensaba que contesté la ultima frase de este hilo con el mismo sal que tú me echaste. El concepto de la función de la forma adverbial de la palabra very no está inventado por mi. No soy un descuidado inventor de reglas falsas. No soy un grammar fiction writer, pero la idea de una vocación asi es graciosa. Cuando me contestó en un modo sardónico no me insultaste. Lo vi cómico, o sea un poquito duro. Quedo sorprendido que te insulté con mi contesta tambien dura. Lo dije en un modo jocular y en ningún modo en serio. Es claro que eres inteligente. Sinceramente, no es mi deseo mortificar a ti o a nadie;)

Acepto tus disculpas.

Alfonso August 13, 2008 09:37 AM

Espero que David se decida pronto a borrar el comentario #16, pues a él le compete la administración y moderación del foro.

Si las normas no están claras y se asienta un precedente como el que denuncio, el foro se convertirá en poco tiempo en un lugar que no merecerá la pena.

Creo que debe quedar el lugar del mensaje #16 vacío, inalterado el orden, con la advertencia de que el mensaje ha sido borrado.

Tomisimo August 13, 2008 09:50 AM

I have edited both post #13 from Alfonso and post #16 from Poli to remove remarks that could be considered inflammatory.

We all need to remember that it takes two to fight, and that nobody's perfect. Poli has already apologized for what he wrote, even though you could argue he was provoked by the remarks in post #13.

Please try to get along guys. :thumbsup:

poli August 13, 2008 11:43 AM

David,
Thank you.

María José August 13, 2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 14019)
Me resulta difícil entender lo que quieres decir. La única conclusión que saco es que insultar no está mal, pues a unos les afecta y a otros no. No comparto este planteamiento, ni entiendo a qué viene este comentario.

Supongo que sólo estaba intentando restaurar la paz y además de meterme donde no me llamán no me expresé muy bien. Y no pienso que insultar esté bien, y ahora estoy hablando en general, pues ya no quiero tener nada que ver con esta situación en particular porque me resulta incómoda.
Además ya está solucionado y mejor hablar de cosas más agradables.

CrOtALiTo August 13, 2008 12:20 PM

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

What happped here.?

Alfonso August 13, 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 14027)
I have edited both post #13 from Alfonso and post #16 from Poli to remove remarks that could be considered inflammatory.

We all need to remember that it takes two to fight, and that nobody's perfect. Poli has already apologized for what he wrote, even though you could argue he was provoked by the remarks in post #13.

Please try to get along guys. :thumbsup:

No estoy en absoluto de acuerdo.

Una cosa es llamar a uno stupid y otra muy distinta es bromear claramente con grammar-fictional writer. Poli no se quejó de ello, y no pidió que se quitase.

Hace muy poco, Poli se refería a mí como un monje rebelde. ¿Vas a borrar también ese post? En otra ocasión, se refirió a mí como políglota enamorado. Hay gente que se refiere a mí como an stiff intectual. ¿Los borramos todos?

La única ofensa es la de Poli: stupid, silly, slow learner.

Lo que ha ocurrido es que te pido que borres los insultos y borras también las bromas.

La pregunta es obvia: ahora que los insultos están prohibidos, ¿lo están también las bromas?

Una solución salomónica no siempre es justa. Ésta, por ejemplo, no lo es.

Tomisimo August 13, 2008 02:27 PM

Esto se dirige más que nada a Alfonso y Poli, pero también puede ser de utilidad para los demás porque siempre en la vida puede surgir un malentendido, diferencia u ofensa.

Tengo mucho que decir. ¿Por dónde empezaré?

Creo que parte del problema es la palabra stupid. Hay que recordar que esta voz de ninguna manera significa estúpido. Es un congnado falso. Yo puedo decir por ejemplo stupid little book ¿Qué significa? Librillo/librito. Stupid significa entre tonto y chistoso en inglés. Su uso es extremadamente común desde los peques hasta los grandes. Si te digo Don't be stupid, eso es un innócuo No seas así o Piénsalo bien. Bueno, creo que ya saben eso, pero es importante.

Entonces, en mi opinión, tú Alfonso interpretaste lo que Poli dijo de una forma mucho más fuerte y ofensivo que lo que fue su intención.

Ahora, alguien preguntó que si no se permiten insultos, ya no se van a permitir chistes tampoco. Esa pregunta toca un punto muy importante. Los chistes casi siempre son chistosos a causa de un insulto. Podemos insultar a otros, a nosotros mismos etc, pero el insulto es la base del humor en muchos casos. Ahora yo no quisiera ver insultos aquí en los foros, pero si vamos a permitir humor y chistes, es importante que cada miembro tenga cuidado de cómo se lleva con los demás miembros y de no herir a los demás.

Creo que así lo voy a dejar, ojalá todos nos podamos perdonar y seguir adelante. Cómo decimos en inglés, hay que tomar todo con un grano de sal, es decir, ver todo en su contexto y no ahogarse en un vaso de agua.

Alfonso August 13, 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 14058)
Esto se dirige más que nada a Alfonso y Poli, pero también puede ser de utilidad para los demás porque siempre en la vida puede surgir un malentendido, diferencia u ofensa.

Tengo mucho que decir. ¿Por dónde empezaré?

Creo que parte del problema es la palabra stupid. Hay que recordar que esta voz de ninguna manera significa estúpido. Es un congnado falso. Yo puedo decir por ejemplo stupid little book ¿Qué significa? Librillo/librito. Stupid significa entre tonto y chistoso en inglés. Su uso es extremadamente común desde los peques hasta los grandes. Si te digo Don't be stupid, eso es un innócuo No seas así o Piénsalo bien. Bueno, creo que ya saben eso, pero es importante.

Entonces, en mi opinión, tú Alfonso interpretaste lo que Poli dijo de una forma mucho más fuerte y ofensivo que lo que fue su intención.

Ahora, alguien preguntó que si no se permiten insultos, ya no se van a permitir chistes tampoco. Esa pregunta toca un punto muy importante. Los chistes casi siempre son chistosos a causa de un insulto. Podemos insultar a otros, a nosotros mismos etc, pero el insulto es la base del humor en muchos casos. Ahora yo no quisiera ver insultos aquí en los foros, pero si vamos a permitir humor y chistes, es importante que cada miembro tenga cuidado de cómo se lleva con los demás miembros y de no herir a los demás.

Creo que así lo voy a dejar, ojalá todos nos podamos perdonar y seguir adelante. Cómo decimos en inglés, hay que tomar todo con un grano de sal, es decir, ver todo en su contexto y no ahogarse en un vaso de agua.

No estoy en absoluto de acuerdo con lo que dices, pero agradezco que dialogues y trates de convencerme.

Antes de reportar el mensaje de Poli, pregunté a varias personas de habla inglesa, y me aseguraron que el mensaje es claramente ofensivo. ¿Stupid significa pequeño? No en este contexto: it doesn't mean you're stupid, just a slow learner. ¿Y slow learner?, ¿y silly?, ¿y todo ello junto?

No, no me satisface tu respuesta. Tratar de mediar no significa que víctima y victimario se hayan comportado de la misma manera. Es decir, aciertas al editar el mensaje de Poli, pero te equivocas al editar el mío.

Date cuenta de las consecuencias: hay miles de mensajes con bromas similares a la mía, muchas de ellas realizadas por Poli. ¿Va Poli, a partir de ahora, a poder bromear con los demás?

No obstante, ha quedado todo muy claro. No volveré a participar en un lugar en el que los límites no están claros, y donde puedes recibir un insulto porque de pronto un día a alguien le caes mal, o porque discrepo en la denominación de un adverbio. Comprendo, desde luego, que no le caigo bien a todo el mundo. Pero entiendo que no se me puede insultar. Ni a mí ni a nadie.

No es cierto que el sentido del humor se haga siempre a costa de los demás. Muchas veces se hace a costa de uno mismo. No obstante, el humor es inteligente, y el insulto nunca lo es. El insulto son los cascotes de la inteligencia. Cuando al humor se contesta con insultos se está admitiendo un fracaso, el de la inteligencia.

Es por eso que deseo que lo sigáis pasando bien, a partir de ahora sin mí.

No volveré a conectarme, ni con este nombre ni con ningún otro. Por ello, os agradecería que me dejarais la última palabra, que es ésta, pues no podré responder. Espero que a Poli y a David no les importe renunciar a su derecho de réplica. No obstante, nunca sabré lo que ha ocurrido, pues no volveré a comprobar qué se ha escrito después de este post. Tampoco preguntaré a la gente que conozco en Madrid y que participa en este foro.

Salu2 desde Madrid.
Alfonso

Borro mi correo electrónico y mis contraseñas y me doy de baja el miércoles 13 de agosto de 2008. Tiro la llave a un pozo.
:rolleyes:

Rusty August 13, 2008 05:59 PM

I shall miss you.

Jane August 13, 2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 14072)
I shall miss you.

Me too, a lot...
It will not be the same without him.
Though he may never know...

Elaina August 13, 2008 06:24 PM

¡Vaya! Como decía mi madre: "No los puedo dejar solos un minuto!"

Espero que ya haya pasado la tormenta.

Los comentarios de Poli y de Alfonso son muy interesantes e instructivos y no me gustaría que se retiraran de los foros.

:love:

Tomisimo August 13, 2008 08:30 PM

I'll miss your insightful comments Alfonso.

I tried to mediate as best I know how. Hopefully I'll get better at this.

What I've learned from this is I need to define some basic rules of conduct for the forums, not to repress everyone, but so we all have a goal to try to achieve.

María José August 14, 2008 02:28 AM

Creo que te has precipitado un poco, pero es tu decisión. Yo también te echaré de menos.:love:

sosia August 14, 2008 05:00 AM

Bueno no se si leerás esto, pero me da pena que te vayas por tu gran colaboración en este tiempo, y mayor dominio de la gramática que yo.
No obstante, me parece que se ha sobredimensionado mucho el asunto, poli se ha disculpado, y como ya avisé "se lee muy rápido lo que otros escriben y se piensa poco lo que uno escribe" (y yo el primero). Con esto no me refiero a los últimos posts, sino a los que empezaron el asunto. Pasa igual con los emails, que habría que repasarlos anets de enviarlos.
Sinceramente espero que te lo pienses y vuelvas.Sino, nos vemos por los bares :D

poli August 14, 2008 05:42 AM

Hay grandes felizes historias de gente throwing barbs o en la cultura afro-americana llamada doing (doin') the dozens en que amigos metafóricamente tiran púas (verbales) uno a otro. La práctica agudece el engenio de los que la práctica. La regla es: si tira una púa tiene aceptar que su que el recipiente volverá una púa con el mismo amor:rolleyes:.

Este ejersicio en engenio termine cuando una persona tira una púa y la otra persona no responde. Si no reponde y sigue recibiendo púas la amistad se convierte a una relación de abusador/victima o maestro dictador/estudiante terrorizado. El engenio se convierte a amargadura.

Si una persona throws barbs pero se insulta cuando recibe la pua de vuelta tambien el ejericio termine. Asi es lo que pasó con Alfonso en mi opinion.

De verdad pido perdón a la gente del foro, porque Alfondo renunció for mi y él añadaba mucho aquí.

CrOtALiTo August 14, 2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 14091)
Hay grandes felizes historias de gente throwing barbs o en la cultura afro-americana llamada doing (doin') the dozens en que amigos metafóricamente tiran púas (verbales) uno a otro. La práctica agudece el engenio de los que la práctica. La regla es: si tira una púa tiene aceptar que su que el recipiente volverá una púa con el mismo amor:rolleyes:.

Este ejercicio en engenio termine cuando una persona tira una púa y la otra persona no responde. Si no reponde y sigue recibiendo púas la amistad se convierte a una relación de abusador/victima o maestro dictador/estudiante terrorizado. El engenio (se convierte en ana amargadura.)

Si una persona throws barbs pero se insulta cuando recibe la pua de vuelta tambien el ejericio termine. Asi es lo que pasó con Alfonso en mi opinion.

De verdad pido perdón a la gente del foro, porque Alfondo renunció for mi y él añadaba mucho aquí.

Before an lil corrections about.:)

My own comment about of this problem with Alfonso and Poli.

Mirén chicos, quizas yo no soy alguien muy comnotado por aquí, pero los insultos ofensivos no llevan a ningún lado jamáz, casi siempre nunca estube de acuerdo con varias cosas que decia Alfonso, pero me he dicho a mi mismo, el me corrige porque el sabé lo que dice entonces toma las correcciones para tu propio conocimiento, es de humanos saber disculparse y aceptar la disculpa pero no tener el orgullo por encima de los pelos.-

Creo que aquí hay un claro ejemplo de mala intencion alfonso no acepta disculpas que un hombre le dio, eso se llama egoismo, hombre hay que aceptar la vida como es, la gente como es, siempre un viejo te dira la verdad por muy fea y dolorosa que sea pero de esos sabios consejos aprende a tomar lo que mas te sirva, creo que Poli, se ha disculpado contigo feo un error en el momento de risas o enojos o también en los juegos mismos decimos cosas sin querer, siempre he comentado con Rusty, David, con Alfonso everybody en los foros y cuando algo no me gusta se los digo como deve de ser, si estas tomando la decisicion de irte, marcharte y salir enojado como si tuvieras una derrota muy marcada, dejame decirte que tomaste el camino incorrecto, porque das a conocer que no tiene la autoestima bien presente, dejame comentarte que también es de hombres saber aceptar las disculpas, no creo que tu seas perfecto para nunca decir ninguna leperada, no seas orgulloso si es que ves este post si no se los digo a todo mundo no importa las edades lo que importa es el amor a algo que tenemos en comun y la cual nos tiene aqui todos los dias postiando o que no.? Por favor respetemonos como humanos que somos por cualquiera que sea nuestro defecto sin importar de donde eres o quién eres.

Siempre hay que aceptar nuestros errores aún así sean miles que hayamos cometido, hay que saberlos afrontar con la frente en alto, y nunca cojear, yo me disculpo si alguna vez ofendi, a alguien en el foro, y David no creo que sea buena idea borrar los post tengan lo que tengan, por que para mí eso es ocultar la verdad, es tu foro si lo sé, y tu lo administras como tu creas conveniente hacerlo, pero en mi opinión si valé o no, dejalos así vemos de nuestros errores como HUMANOS, no computadoras que siempre las cosas que hacen los hacen bién y eso entre comillas.

Saludos.:worried:

Posdata. Que mal por ti Alfonso, no eras santo de mi devocion pero fuiste muy útil para mi aprendisaje, como sea deseo que te valla mejor, y que todos tus objetivos se cumplan yo te considero una gran persona que muchos virtudes que aun quizas tu no sabes que tienes, solo mirate al espero y preguntate Quién soy? y Porque lo soy.? asi veras quién eres y quien serás.

Elaina August 17, 2008 06:55 AM

Changing the subject a little bit and going back to its original question, I did some research and found the following......... especiallyhttp://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gifc.1400, from O.Fr. especial "pre-eminent, important," from L. specialis "belonging to a particular kind or species," from species "kind." Latin words with initial sp-, st-, sc- usually acquired an e- when borrowed by O.Fr.

specially
1616, "to indicate specially," from special (q.v.). Sense of "engage in a special study or line of business" is first attested 1881; biological sense is from 1851. Specialzation is recorded from 1843. Specialist is first attested 1856 (originally in the medical sense).

I would say that the meaning above for "specially" is pointing more towards the meaning for "specialty....don't you think?

But then I looked up specialty and this is what it said....

specialtyhttp://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gifc.1330, from M.Fr. especialte, variant of specialite, from L. specialitatem (nom. specialitas) "peculiarity," from specialis (see special). Speciality is attested from 1432; Fr. form spécialité (esp. in ref. to restaurant dishes) is recorded from 1839.
I guess this is why some people get confused!

:cool::rolleyes:

María José August 17, 2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 14224)
Changing the subject a little bit and going back to its original question, I did some research and found the following......... especiallyhttp://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gifc.1400, from O.Fr. especial "pre-eminent, important," from L. specialis "belonging to a particular kind or species," from species "kind." Latin words with initial sp-, st-, sc- usually acquired an e- when borrowed by O.Fr.

specially
1616, "to indicate specially," from special (q.v.). Sense of "engage in a special study or line of business" is first attested 1881; biological sense is from 1851. Specialzation is recorded from 1843. Specialist is first attested 1856 (originally in the medical sense).

I would say that the meaning above for "specially" is pointing more towards the meaning for "specialty....don't you think?

But then I looked up specialty and this is what it said....

specialtyhttp://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gifc.1330, from M.Fr. especialte, variant of specialite, from L. specialitatem (nom. specialitas) "peculiarity," from specialis (see special). Speciality is attested from 1432; Fr. form spécialité (esp. in ref. to restaurant dishes) is recorded from 1839.
I guess this is why some people get confused!

:cool::rolleyes:

Thanks, Elaina.Lovely research and presentation (Oh God, I sound like a teacher).:) But this won't make me forget you are trying to steal MY Pierce Brosnan...;)

Elaina August 17, 2008 10:07 AM

I can't steal what is rightfully mine, can I? I can say this because I saw him first.........waaaaay before he started playing James, James Bond.

:cool:

María José August 18, 2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 14233)
I can't steal what is rightfully mine, can I? I can say this because I saw him first.........waaaaay before he started playing James, James Bond.

:cool:

Remember Remington Steele? God, the guy is so classy. And he gets better with age! ( I'm being all nice and chummy in case Sosia reads this post...);)

Elaina August 19, 2008 02:55 PM

Yes! That is exactly right! Remington Steele.....precious.

We mustn't get Sosia upset......he is, after all THE MIDNIGHT something or other....wait.......Nocturnal Merry Wanderer....I don't know that that name fits him.....it reminds me of Robin Hood.

:eek: