Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   To be a good sport (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8448)

hermit July 09, 2010 12:02 PM

To be a good sport

In Spanish?

In English it's "to be fun to be with". Like someone good-natured, entertaining, with a good sense of humor (humour), always ready
for a good time.

Cassell's gives "ser muy majo"; does that convey the above as well?

CrOtALiTo July 09, 2010 12:23 PM

I think what it could be an good entertainment for the TV public.

hermit July 09, 2010 12:32 PM

Yes, good TV entertainers are most likely "good sports" as well...

¿Cómo se describen en Méjico además de "majo"?

JPablo July 09, 2010 02:25 PM

(person): to be a good sport (to be sporting) tener espíritu deportivo; (to be understanding) ser comprensivo; come on, be a sport and lend it to us (colloq) anda, sé bueno y préstanoslo, andá, sé pierna y prestánoslo (Río de la Plata)
(as form of address) (Australian colloq) amigo, -ga

to be a (good) sport -> ser un(a) tío(a) grande (español de España), ser buena gente (Am)
to be a bad sport -> ser mal perdedor(bad loser), tener mal perder (español de España)

I think in Mexico they say "la sabe llevar bien" /"la lleva bien".

More generally,

Es un buen tipo, es campechano, divertido, sabe pasar un buen rato a pesar de todo...

I guess it will depend on the context, but the above are few valid options. :)

Tomisimo July 09, 2010 04:01 PM

to be a good sport = ser buena onda / ser buena gente

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 09, 2010 04:59 PM

@Hermit: I think you know, but we wouldn't say "majo" in Mexico, and not everyone would understand what it means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 88276)
I think in Mexico they say "la sabe llevar bien" /"la lleva bien".

I'm afraid not.

We'd use Tomisimo's expressions or:

- se lleva bien con todos/todo el mundo/la gente
- a todos les cae bien / le cae bien a todos
- es (muy) simpático/lindo/amable/divertido/agradable
- tiene buen carácter
- tiene don de gente(s) (although this one might be only understood by elders) :D

JPablo July 09, 2010 06:45 PM

@Angelica: Ah, thank you.
Yet, I heard Mexicans saying, "ahí la lleva" as in "the person is doing fine", right?
Is that just some isolated Mexicans, or is it more generalized?

Tomisimo July 09, 2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 88290)
@Angelica: Ah, thank you.
Yet, I heard Mexicans saying, "ahí la lleva" as in "the person is doing fine", right?
Is that just some isolated Mexicans, or is it more generalized?

I'm not Angélica, but I'd say that's a pretty common expression, and probably understood in most of the country.

ahí la lleva = he's doing fine/ok, he's getting along ok, he's doing alright, he's getting by fine, or even he's coping (pretty well).

JPablo July 09, 2010 09:47 PM

Thank you. :)

Tomisimo July 09, 2010 09:52 PM

We'll see if she agrees with me or not. :)

Elaina July 09, 2010 10:46 PM

I would say....

- es buena onda

Not to seem dumb or anything but i've never heard of majo or any of the other suggestions given except for a few from Tomísimo and Angélica.

As for ahí la lleva I wouldn't say it means being a good sport.

My :twocents:

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 10, 2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 88298)
We'll see if she agrees with me or not. :)

I do. :)

That expression is used to talk about someone who is finding a path to cope with things. Depending on the context and the tone of voice, "llevarla ahí" can be an optimistic expression, or some sort of resignation.

Después de la muerte de mi abuela, creímos que el abuelo se iba a enfermar, pero ahí la lleva. (pronounced rather "a'i la lleva") :D
After grandmother's death, we thought grandfather would fall sick, but he's doing alright.

Mi hija tenía problemas con su esposo, pero después de la terapia de pareja, ahí la llevan.
My daughter had problems with her husband, but after the marriage counselling, they're mostly getting along.

No voy a decir que mi negocio está muy bien, pero ahí la llevamos. Al menos no hemos cerrado.
I'm not going to say my shop is doing very well, but we're doing mostly alright. At least we haven't closed it down.

Creí que no iba a poder con la dieta, pero ahí la llevo. Ya bajé 5 kilos.
I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with the diet, but I'm doing well. I've already lost 5 kilos.
(Depending on the tone of voice, "ahí la llevo" here can suggest I expected I'd lose weight faster, but I'm losing it anyway, or that I'm happily surprised that I'm actually doing the effort of following the diet.)

ROBINDESBOIS July 10, 2010 10:21 AM

Ser majo, ser buena gente, both are widely used in SPAIN. Can you say in English he 's good people, or just they're are good people, and he's a good person !

hermit July 10, 2010 10:26 AM

Hi Robin, Yes, "He's good people" is a common colloquial expression in
NAmE...

Tomisimo July 10, 2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit (Post 88335)
Hi Robin, Yes, "He's good people" is a common colloquial expression in
NAmE...

I'm from the West Coast and I've never really heard that nor would I say it, so perhaps it's somewhat regional?

Rusty July 10, 2010 10:44 AM

I've heard it used in the states just east of David's, so maybe they just don't say it where David's from.

hermit July 10, 2010 11:14 AM

I had some Army buddies from San Diego, Ca, and they used "He's good
people" routinely...

CrOtALiTo July 12, 2010 01:04 PM

What does Army buddies mean?
I don't understand that phrase, and I have made a searched in the internet and also in the online dictionaries and I didn't find any answer.

pjt33 July 12, 2010 01:34 PM

Amigos del ejército.

Tarential July 12, 2010 01:50 PM

Though not entirely common I have certainly heard "he's good people." I am of the opinion that it is meant to expand into "he is of good people" but that is just an opinion, largely baseless.

wafflestomp July 12, 2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarential (Post 88535)
Though not entirely common I have certainly heard "he's good people." I am of the opinion that it is meant to expand into "he is of good people" but that is just an opinion, largely baseless.

I don't think it's correct English. I have a friend from Hungary who I used to play Battlefield 2 with and he always said "he is good people" about other players... good memories, lol.

hermit July 12, 2010 04:22 PM

Right, not correct, but accepted colloquially, and comes from
"...of good people".