Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Los burritos y las enchiladas (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3310)

Jessica March 11, 2009 04:23 PM

Los burritos y las enchiladas

What's the difference between burritos and enchiladas?

Rusty March 11, 2009 04:49 PM

That depends on who you ask.
Based on past restaurant visits where Tex-Mex fair is served, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas and come with different fillings. Enchiladas are topped with a sauce. Enough can't be said. There are many versions.
Burritos are made with flour tortillas and come with different fillings. They aren't topped with a sauce. Again, enough can't be said.

CrOtALiTo March 11, 2009 04:52 PM

The enchiladas are made with tortillas and a little of cream and it also is made with a little of chili.

At least in my country the enchiladas are an dishes very popular between the people near of the region.

Jessica March 11, 2009 06:36 PM

oh I see :)

CrOtALiTo March 11, 2009 09:30 PM

Have you eaten enchiladas before?

Jessica March 12, 2009 05:16 AM

no I haven't.

Tomisimo March 16, 2009 01:39 AM

The definitions of enchiladas and burritos are extremely different in the US as compared to in Mexico.

Enchilada (US) - a smallish (8'' diameter) wheat flour tortilla rolled up with a filling (cheese, chicken etc), doused in red chili sauce. (usually)
Enchilada (Mex) - a small (4'' diameter) corn flour tortilla, toasted on a grill and covered with chili sauce, cheese, lettuce etc, served open-face; OR the same corn tortilla, dipped in chili sauce and served folded in half and topped with ground white cheese.

Burrito (US) - large wheat flour tortilla (10"-12" diameter) filled with a variety of fillings (beans, cheese, rice etc).
Burrito/Burro (Mex) - Non-existent in most areas. In some areas it is synonomous with "taco".

Taco (US) - a taco shell (hard, corn-based-- resembles a fried tortilla folded in half and open about an inch) filled with ground beef, cheese, lettuce etc.
Taco (Mex) - a soft corn flour tortilla, open-face, rolled up, or folded over, with any of about 3,000 possible fillings. "Taco/taquito dorado" is a rolled up, deep fried corn tortilla, with many possible fillings.

Elaina March 16, 2009 08:42 AM

For burritos you have to use a flour tortilla because if you use a corn tortilla then it is called a taco!

So, for the sake of argument a burrito is ALWAYS made with a flour tortilla.

A taco (hard or soft shell) can be made with a flour OR a corn tortilla but a hard shell taco is ALWAYS with a corn tortilla. If you get a hard shell flour (huge) taco it's probably a Taco Salad.

Taquitos are deep fried and are not to be confused with a Chimichanga! Taquitos are smaller and thinner whereas a Chimichanga is fatter.

Enchiladas are corn tortillas that are smothered in red or green sauce and can be filled with just cheese or with a zillion other ingredients.

THEY ARE ALL DELICIOUS!

Now that you are totally confused, please don't eat them everyday or you will look like a Chimichanga!

:p:p

Fazor March 16, 2009 12:01 PM

Ahora tengo hambre! Mi novia fue a Taco Bell ayer. ¡Necesito comida auténtica!

CrOtALiTo March 16, 2009 10:03 PM

I have heard before about a restaurant named Taco Bell in U.S.A. But I don't know if here the food is very Mexican or only it's just a imitation.