Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Misconceptions when learning Spanish (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5681)

Tomisimo October 05, 2009 06:37 PM

Misconceptions when learning Spanish

What were the some (funny) misconceptions you had when you were learning Spanish? (Or when you were learning English)

I thought azotea was zotea, as in "Me voy a subir a la zotea".

I also thought it was "no le hagas acaso", not "no le hagas caso". Probably because I had already learned the word "acaso".

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 05, 2009 07:09 PM

Even though I'm a native speaker, I've made quite a few mistakes (only these two come to my mind now):

· I always thought "tela adhesiva" was "tela de siva" (never asked what "siva" was though) :D

· And only until I was an adult I realized "H. Ayuntamiento" had a dot after the H, so I had always thought the word was "Hayuntamiento" instead of "Honorable Ayuntamiento). :duh:

bobjenkins October 05, 2009 07:17 PM

Probablemente la diferencia entre caliente y calor es más cómico, hace tiempo estaba diciendo "estoy caliente":)

También al empezar mirar fútbol español siempre oí casillas, y me pregunté porque el comentador hablaba de "post office boxes" durante el juego

pjt33 October 06, 2009 01:24 AM

Not sure about funny misconceptions, but I can think of some funny mistakes. I needed receipts for everything in Ecuador for auditing expenses, and I got it into my head that "receipt" is "receta", so I went around asking for recipes in every shop I visited.

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 06, 2009 09:17 AM

One more that I had corrected also as an adult:

I always thought the expression "dar abasto", was "dar a vasto"... it didn't matter that the wrong one didn't make much sense. :blackeye:

CrOtALiTo October 06, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 54879)
What were the some (funny) misconceptions you had when you were learning Spanish? (Or when you were learning English)

I thought azotea was zotea, as in "Me voy a subir a la zotea".

I also thought it was "no le hagas acaso", not "no le hagas caso". Probably because I had already learned the word "acaso".

Here I will give you some example with the use of the word Acaso, caso.

I hope this can help you and well if you know something about theses words well just you can use them as a support.

Acaso tu le diste dinero a Juan.

El caso de la mujer perdida.

Gen fun.:)

Sancho Panther October 15, 2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

También al empezar mirar fútbol español siempre oí casillas, y me pregunté porque el comentador hablaba de "post office boxes" durante el juego

I don't understand that - the Spanish for 'post office box no.' is apartado and posting box is buzón.

chileno October 15, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 56371)
I don't understand that - the Spanish for 'post office box no.' is apartado and posting box is buzón.

Casilla postal = apartado postal = P.O. Box

laepelba December 24, 2009 06:29 AM

I just discovered one for me.... I am definitely a person who uses "filler" words when talking (not so much when writing). I say, "ok" and "you know" and "let's see" and so on...

So I often hear Spanish-speakers saying the same thing as a filler word, and I always thought it was "haber", which really has made absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever. Hahaha!! I just realized that it's "a ver", as in "let's see". Exactly what I would say in English. NOW it makes sense! LOL!!! :)

chileno December 24, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 66176)
I just discovered one for me.... I am definitely a person who uses "filler" words when talking (not so much when writing). I say, "ok" and "you know" and "let's see" and so on...

So I often hear Spanish-speakers saying the same thing as a filler word, and I always thought it was "haber", which really has made absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever. Hahaha!! I just realized that it's "a ver", as in "let's see". Exactly what I would say in English. NOW it makes sense! LOL!!! :)

right... :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: