Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Helpful phrases (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4105)

lingos May 27, 2009 02:50 AM

Helpful phrases

hello

for many people, learning spanish is not just a hobby, but a task with specific schedule and goals, because we must succeed in specific exams in specific timeline

given this fact, I would like to ask you propose phrases that are useful for oral or written speech, having in mind the oral exams (interviews, photo description, etc) and written exams (writing letter and essay)

to give an example I would say:

"en pocas palabras, puedo decir que..." (to start a photo description)
"en otro lado, tenemos que subrayar que..." (to introduce opposite arguements in an essay)
"seria gran omisión no mencionar que..." (it would be great omission not to mention that... = to introduce new arguement)
etc

thanks!

chileno May 27, 2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingos (Post 37216)
hello

for many people, learning spanish is not just a hobby, but a task with specific schedule and goals, because we must succeed in specific exams in specific timeline

given this fact, I would like to ask you propose phrases that are useful for oral or written speech, having in mind the oral exams (interviews, photo description, etc) and written exams (writing letter and essay)

to give an example I would say:

"en pocas palabras, puedo decir que..." (to start a photo description)
"en por otro lado, tenemos que subrayar que..." (to introduce opposite arguements in an essay)
"sería una gran omisión no mencionar que..." (it would be great omission not to mention that... = to introduce new arguement)
etc

thanks!

Correcciones hechas.

Por otro lado, tu idea es buena, pero que tal si cada persona que necesita algo específico lo trata de escribir, como tu lo hiciste, y aquí se corrige?

lingos May 27, 2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 37217)
Correcciones hechas.

Por otro lado, tu idea es buena, pero que tal si cada persona que necesita algo específico lo trata de escribir, como tu lo hiciste, y aquí se corrige?

I don't think I fully understood your question :D
to make myself more clear, it's about those "creating writing" methods, tools, etc that are very useful to write or prepare a speech:
example: http://esl.about.com/od/writingadvan...fyingwords.htm

I would like something like this in spanish, but also your contribution is welcomed

chileno May 27, 2009 09:54 AM

What I proposed was to let everyone,who has a doubt like that, to write in Spanish what they want to state, like you did, and those phrases will be corrected. :)

irmamar May 27, 2009 12:33 PM

I could tell you that when you have to write a composition, for instance, or talk about something, you should bear in mind the structure of what you're writing or speaking about (introduction - development - conclusion). I'll try to give you some clues, but it all depends on the topics:

Introduction:

Situándonos en el (contexto, tema, etc.) que nos ocupa, podríamos hablar, decir o exponer ... bla, bla, bla
..., como se expone a continuación:

Development

En primer lugar, hay que tener en cuenta...
En segundo lugar, no hay que olvidar...
No debemos ignorar...
Es importante señalar / destacar...
Recordemos que en ocasiones...
No solo..., sino también...
Además de todo lo expuesto / señalado / comentado...

Conclusion

Para finalizar, quisiera exponer mi opinión:... (o bien: este estudio nos lleva a la conclusión de que...). Esta opinión personal se basa en... (los detalles comentados, la simple enumeración de los hechos, etc.).

Sin embargo, hay posturas opuestas (o diferentes opiniones al respecto)...

La verdad es que en estos momentos no se me ocurre nada más. A ver si alguien tiene alguna otra idea. Un par de consejos: evita la redundancia, no digas, por ejemplo:

Tengo un libro, también tengo una libreta. Además, tengo un coche en la puerta.

Es mejor:

Tengo un libro y una libreta, además de un coche en la puerta.

Fíjate que en ocasiones he utilizado la primera persona del plural ("podríamos hablar"). En español esto se llama "plural de modestia". Si empiezas a redactar usando el plural de modestia, no puedes seguir después usando "yo". El plural de modestia se suele utilizar a la hora de escribir, no en lenguaje hablado.

I hope it'll be helpful:)

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 27, 2009 01:18 PM

@lingos: "en pocas palabras" is rather to summarize, not to start an argumentation.

I think irmamar's suggestions are very useful in general for oral exams.

CrOtALiTo May 27, 2009 01:21 PM

Exist different methods to explain or ask the things in Spanish, you can give severals questions in the timeline, having in mind that you need to learn everything about the language, for example if you are going with your sister (Just this is one example) with the school and she has to does one history's essay, you can say.

Dare un ensayo en el momento indicado.

A continuacion dare un esanyo sobre la historia evolutiva.

Mostrare un ensayo sobre la historia evolutiva.

As you can see the different ways to say the same with the same meaning in hand, but without the line of the you are trying to say is depending of as you can express the things.

In conclusion, you have in your own mind the different methods that you want to use in the moment that you need to do it.

I hope have me explained, if you have questions about it, please you ask.