Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Chip on one's shoulder (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11794)

vita32 October 08, 2011 05:20 PM

Chip on one's shoulder

Chip on one's shoulder. When a person is said to have a chip on his/her shoulder, it means that he/she is easily offended. Is there a Spanish equivalent for this English idiom?

Thanks.

Glen October 08, 2011 05:52 PM

Ser muy provocador

Rusty October 08, 2011 06:08 PM

I don't know of an equivalent idiom, but here are some other translations:
Ser un resentido
Estar resentido
Estar rencoroso

Elaina October 08, 2011 06:13 PM

Well, first off we need to define what you mean when a person has a chip on their shoulder. I think the phrase itself indicates the person is easily offended but is also on the defensive all the time or maybe even angry.

For example,

- Where did you buy those shoes?
---Why? Don't they look okay? Why do you want to know? I don't need to know if they look okay or not, go talk to someone else.

Maybe with a touch of paranoia.

Quizas la persona "está llena de resentimientos". Está en la defensiva siempre. O simplemente, "tiene problemas".

:)

vita32 October 08, 2011 07:49 PM

Thank you, everyone for responding.

Perikles October 09, 2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 117623)
Well, first off we need to define what you mean when a person has a chip on their shoulder. I think the phrase itself indicates the person is easily offended but is also on the defensive all the time or maybe even angry.

I have never understood it as being easily offended, just that somebody has a complex about something. For example if someone dislikes everybody with academic qualifications because they feel resentful that they didn't have the same opportunities themselves. Somebody bearing a grudge. :)

aleCcowaN October 09, 2011 06:07 AM

In Argentina we use "leche hervida" -generally with "ponerse como" or "saltar como"- to describe those people susceptible or sensible that easily blow a gasket and become belligerent by taking things personally or as a matter of life and death ("tomarse las cosas a la tremenda")

Glen October 09, 2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 117632)
I have never understood it as being easily offended, just that somebody has a complex about something. For example if someone dislikes everybody with academic qualifications because they feel resentful that they didn't have the same opportunities themselves. Somebody bearing a grudge. :)

Sounds like you would go with another one I have heard, tener un poco de complejo, right?

Perikles October 10, 2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen (Post 117652)
Sounds like you would go with another one I have heard, tener un poco de complejo, right?

Right :thumbsup:

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 10, 2011 07:59 AM

@Glen: "Ser un provocador" means you are the one who makes people react (or overreact) negatively.
"Tener un poco de complejo" sounds awkward for a Mexican ear. We'd say "estar (un poco) acomplejado" or "tener algunos / unos cuantos complejos". ;)

A Mexican would also say about someone who is easily offended or touchy (because of their complexes or because they feel always attacked or so) that he/she is "muy susceptible".

Juan es muy susceptible. No quiero decirle que puso una fecha equivocada en el documento, porque va a hacer un pleito.
Juan is too touchy. I don't want to tell him he wrote a wrong date in the paper, because he'll start a fight.

Te advierto que soy muy susceptible, así que no hagas comentarios negativos sobre mi trabajo.
I warn you I'm very touchy, so you better don't make negative remarks on my work.

María está acomplejada por gorda. Le dije que su falda estaba muy bonita y se fue corriendo a cambiársela porque dijo que estaba muy apretada.
María has a complex about being fat. I told her that her skirt was pretty and she rushed to change it saying it was too tight.

Pedro dice que estoy muy acomplejada porque no me gusta ir a fiestas.
Pedro says I have some complex because I don't like going to parties.

Tienes complejo de inferioridad. Siempre crees que la gente te desprecia.
You have an inferiority complex. You always think people despises you.