Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Preterite vs imperfect (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=28267)

Oldman February 08, 2023 06:32 AM

Preterite vs imperfect

I am struggling with preterite vs imperfect. Eventually, I will have the conjugations of each memorized, that isn't the problem I am concerned with. I am struggling with which one to use when, unless it's super obvious.e.g. "when I was a child...."

Anyway, below is an exercise I did and got about half of them correct. ( I don't have a teacher- I'm doing this by myself).

Would someone be so kind to take a look at the following and tell me what I have done wrong and why ?
The exercise is to conjugate the given infinitive in the proper past tense:

Llovía
(Llover) mucho ese día y, por eso,

decidí
(decidir) buscar un taxi. Claro,

habían
(haber) muchas otras personas que también

buscé
(buscar) taxis por el mal tiempo que

hació
(hacer). Por fin, (yo)

encontré
(encontrar) un taxi y subí. Le dije al taxista adónde

quise
(querer) ir cuando de repente

recordé
(recordar) que mi bolsa

estuve
(estar) en una de las tiendas de la plaza. Bajé del taxi y

fui
(ir) corriendo hacia el mercado. Cuando

llegé
(llegar) al mercado,

vi
(ver) mi bolsa. Yo

estuve
(estar) muy contenta.

Rusty February 08, 2023 07:33 AM

Corrections and reasons provided.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 185748)
Llovía :bad: (the preterit is called for in this case - although many narrations about something in the past start out in the imperfect, this past event ties to the next event - both had an end in the past)
(Llover) mucho ese día y, por eso,

decidí :good: (action had an end in the past)
(decidir) buscar un taxi. Claro,

habían :bad: (use the singular form, but you chose the correct tense)
(haber) muchas otras personas que también

buscé :bad: (should still be relating what was happening (also, wrong person and number (as an aside, you've misspelled busqué)))
(buscar) taxis por el mal tiempo que

hació :bad: (should still be relating what was happening)
(hacer). Por fin, (yo)

encontré :good: (action had an end in the past)
(encontrar) un taxi y subí. Le dije al taxista adónde

quise :bad: (the preterit form of querer means 'tried' (no longer want))
(querer) ir cuando de repente

recordé :good: (action had an end)
(recordar) que mi bolsa

estuve :bad: (describe an ongoing action)
(estar) en una de las tiendas de la plaza. Bajé del taxi y

fui :good:
(ir) corriendo hacia el mercado. Cuando

llegé :bad: (wrong spelling of llegué, but you chose the correct tense)
(llegar) al mercado,

vi :good:
(ver) mi bolsa. Yo

estuve :bad: (describe a state that was ongoing)
(estar) muy contenta.

Oldman February 08, 2023 10:22 AM

Thanks this is helpful....I think I am struggling with how can an event that was ongoing in the past not have an end. ANd so that since mind is working this way, I think preterite .. Maybe you can help clear up my confusion....Take the last one,,,"I was content"..Is it because even though now he may not be content, we don't know precisely when his feeling of contentedness ended ?

If he had said, I was content for an hour, then it would have been preterite ?

Rusty February 08, 2023 11:35 AM

You describe past events from a certain point of view.
Usually, when telling a story, the imperfect is used because you're describing things as they were transpiring. If your narrative includes an action that ended (stopped, is no longer happening), it's relegated to the preterit. The decisions one makes, for example, have an end, unless you're describing the decision-making process itself (giving a play-by-play). That process would then be an ongoing event. But if the decision-making process is not being described play by play, the decision happened (it had an end).

After the woman found her (shopping) bag, she was content (the predicate adjective with a feminine ending tells us that the story was about a woman). Her happiness is the focus of the narrative at that point. Even though she could very well stop being content, she was content when she found her bag, and that is the point of the story. We leave the storytelling knowing that she was content. It isn't relevant to add that she stopped being happy about finding her bag, because your story ends with her ongoing contentedness.

Being content for an hour is said using the preterit, because 'durante + period of time' is a trigger for using the preterit.

Oldman February 10, 2023 05:04 AM

So I continue to struggle . Here's a paragraph where I have to determine preterite or imperfect on 15 verbs. I'm presenting the paragraph in English, because conjugation isn't my problem ( I'm just a little slow at it)

When I WAS young, I LIVED in the city. I HELPED with the chores and PLAYED with my friends. In school I LIKED history and science . When I WAS five years old, I WENT to the mountains for the very first time. The mountains WERE old and mysterious. When I WAS 6, I TOOK my first visit to the beach. I SWAM in the ocean and WATCHED someone that DIVED. I RETURNED to school and DECIDED to study science for a career.

It's almost a guess for me which verbs are in the preterite - If this was a test I might say the first 6 verbs are imperfect along with the mountains being old and mysterious and I might say all the rest are preterite.... And it might not surprise me if I would do just as well by flipping a coin.

Rusty, if you are out there, AYUDAS por favor

Rusty February 10, 2023 07:25 AM

Write this part in Spanish. :crossfingers: That's the whole idea of this thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 185762)
When I WAS young, I LIVED in the city. I HELPED with the chores and PLAYED with my friends. In school I LIKED history and science . When I WAS five years old, I WENT to the mountains for the very first time. The mountains WERE old and mysterious. When I WAS SIX, I TOOK my first visit to the beach. I SWAM in the ocean and WATCHED someone that DIVED. I RETURNED to school and DECIDED to study science for a career.

Remember to keep things in perspective. (Don't mentally jump out of the picture to the present. Keep things in the past where they belong.) If the action was ongoing in the past, or if it was happening but was interrupted when something else happened, it's imperfect. If you are describing a process, a process is ongoing. Otherwise, the action had an end in the past and the preterit is used.
Character traits in the past are always imperfect--was young, was old, was six.
I wrote 'was ongoing' and 'was happening' in bold above so you can see that I used the progressive past tense. Try this trick: if you can substitute the progressive past tense, the past simple form in English is imperfect in Spanish--'was returning' and 'was deciding' don't fit the narrative, so you know these actions had an end in the past and will choose the preterit tense.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 185762)
Rusty, if you are out there, AYUDAS, por favor.

The second person imperative mood never ends in an 's'. :whistling:

Oldman February 10, 2023 10:30 AM

well, I may need you dumb it down even further. I get the WAS young, Was 5 or 6 as imperfect. Seems to me that LiIVED,HELPED,PLAYED and LIKED were all on going, so imperfect again. WENT seems to have a beginning and end, so preterite... WERE imperfect. TOOK, SWAM,WATCHED seem to have beginning and end. DIVED, I have no idea, so coin flip. RETURNED seems to have a beginning and end so preterite, and DECIDED is another coin flip for me.....How close am I? What am I thinking wrongly ?

Rusty February 10, 2023 10:43 AM

You got all of them right, except the two where you wanted to flip a coin.
DIVED could be 'was diving', but you didn't spend any time on it, which means it had an end from your perspective. You should use the preterit.
I already pointed out that 'was deciding' doesn't fit (no play-by-play decision process was mentioned in the narrative), so DECIDED is a done deal and takes the preterit tense.

Oldman February 10, 2023 12:59 PM

not sure I get your 'trick' . How does your trick work on, say LIVED or PLAYED , but not on DECIDED? Ayuda me

When he went to the mountains for the first time, it 'feels' like a beginning and an end to "went', since it was his first time....What would have happened had he not included the phrase 'for the first time' ? Would then it be a bit muddled ? SImilarly, he went to the beach for the first time and a bunch of stuff happened....If he had just said went to the beach, are we back in "gray-zone ".

Rusty February 10, 2023 01:41 PM

If your narrative of past action provides details about going to the mountains or the beach, then of course there's a shift from 'ended action' to 'ongoing action'. Otherwise, we wouldn't be listening to details about the process (hiking, biking, walking, etc.). It doesn't matter if it was the first time or not. If you don't go down memory lane (by providing details of the trek to the mountain or the excursion to the beach), the action had an end.
He went to the mountains and he went to the beach. These actions ended.

If I 'was going to the mountains when a deer jumped into view, the first action is "setting the stage" for the second action, and is imperfect. In English, we use the progressive past (was going) to convey the idea of an ongoing process in the past that was interrupted by another action (the deer jumped to where I could see it). The second action had an end (the deer isn't jumping into view over and over).

Ayúdame.
The boy 'was living' in the city and 'was playing' with friends when he was young. These were ongoing, habitual actions, concurrent with the time frame mentioned. He didn't stop living in the city or playing with his friends when he was young. Don't yank yourself out of the setting. Think about the when-I-was-young opening and what was happening at that time.