Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Taboo word? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7633)

Broken Spanish April 12, 2010 09:31 AM

Taboo word?

Hi,

I’ve been reading my Teach Yourself Spanish book and came across some information about the words: toma and coge (you take). It said the word coge is considered a taboo word in some Latin American countries, but doesn’t say which ones.

Does anybody know where it is considered a taboo word, and if so why? Is the word considered an offensive swearword, if so what does it mean in that context? Simply so I understand why its best to avoid using it.

please reply in English, my Spainish is only basic at the moment, thanks...:)

Perikles April 12, 2010 10:37 AM

My dictionary tells me is it vulgar in Mexico, Rio de la Plata and Venezuela, and means to sleep with, or a very obvious equivalent. :)

hermit April 12, 2010 12:04 PM

In the Caribbean (Antilles) "coger hombres" is a profession...

pjt33 April 12, 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit (Post 79394)
In the Caribbean (Antilles) "coger hombres" is a profession...

Parts of. In Cuba "coger" means the same as in Spain.

CrOtALiTo April 12, 2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Spanish (Post 79380)
Hi,

I’ve been reading my Teach Yourself Spanish book and came across some information about the words: toma and coge (you take). It said the word coge is considered a taboo word in some Latin American countries, but doesn’t say which ones.

Does anybody know where it is considered a taboo word, and if so why? Is the word considered an offensive swearword, if so what does it mean in that context? Simply so I understand why its best to avoid using it.

As you have said before the word Cojer in Spanish more in Mexico and any places of Latin America are something offensive and rudeness for example here in Mexico cojer means to have sex with someone else, and toma like to take is considering of severals means, for example tomar vino that it could be translated of You drink vine, and to take in Spanish you can use it as to take something, I mean I will take my notebook, Tomare mi cuaderno.

I hope you can understand me.

Regards.

Villa April 12, 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Spanish (Post 79380)
Hi,

cojer=screw,f*ck

AngelicaDeAlquezar April 12, 2010 06:12 PM

@Crotalito & Villa: please watch your spelling. It's "coger", with a "g".

The verb actually means to hold, to take, to seize, to grab, etc. and everyone understands when it's used like that.

Juan cogió las llaves y abrió la puerta.
Juan took the keys and opened the door.

Coge mi mano para que no te caigas.
Hold my hand so you won't fall.

Mexicans prefer alternative verbs ("tomar", "agarrar") but it's always clear what you mean, so no need to get obsessed with the vulgar meaning.

CrOtALiTo April 12, 2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 79420)
@Crotalito & Villa: please watch your spelling. It's "coger", with a "g".

The verb actually means to hold, to take, to seize, to grab, etc. and everyone understands when it's used like that.

Juan cogió las llaves y abrió la puerta.
Juan took the keys and opened the door.

Coge mi mano para que no te caigas.
Hold my hand so you won't fall.

Mexicans prefer alternative verbs ("tomar", "agarrar") but it's always clear what you mean, so no need to get obsessed with the vulgar meaning.

Yes you're right with the spelling.
I'm sorry for the mistake.:)

ookami April 12, 2010 10:11 PM

Coger
Well, it has been explained. Here is VERY common, instead of "to make love", we use it. Of course it's vulgar, but the use has softened that quite a bit. With relatives, friends, partners, etc, we use it. This is worth taking in mind but, to avoid complications, never use it this way. And Angelica is right, it'll be always understood if you use it with the dictionary meaning.

pjt33 April 13, 2010 12:25 AM

He oído que si dices en Argentina "Voy a coger el bús" es posible que te contesten "Bueno, supongo que por el tubo de escape podrías..."