Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Cara de perro (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3337)

poli March 16, 2009 06:16 AM

Cara de perro

I know it means dog face, but I have seen it written to mean --at odds, or something like that. Is cara de perro often used to discribe a sitiation?

chileno March 16, 2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 28852)
I know it means dog face, but I have seen it written to mean --at odds, or something like that. Is cara de perro often used to discribe a sitiation?

In chile is used as meaning... "a mean face"

Rusty March 16, 2009 07:05 AM

Some people use it to mean open (honest) or fiercely, while others say 'against all odds'. Some ascribe the facial expression to doing something they would rather not do.

cara de perro.
1. f. coloq. Semblante expresivo de hostilidad o de reprobación.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

AngelicaDeAlquezar March 16, 2009 01:41 PM

Used to describe someone who's playing cards or that kind of games, "cara de perro" is some kind constant frown to avoid giving in any hints about your game (and to make the other players nervous of course).

Pixter March 16, 2009 04:51 PM

To me if somebody has a "cara de perro" is someone who is mean, not friendly, rude, someone who doesn' laugh, etc. I guess you could think of a growling dog...definitively NOT a compliment :rolleyes: No one will want to be your friend si siempre tienes una cara de perro..LOL

Tomisimo March 16, 2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 28899)
Used to describe someone who's playing cards or that kind of games, "cara de perro" is some kind constant frown to avoid giving in any hints about your game (and to make the other players nervous of course).

In that case, cara de perro = poker face

Elaina March 17, 2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixter (Post 28907)
To me if somebody has a "cara de perro" is someone who is mean, not friendly, rude, someone who doesn' laugh, etc. I guess you could think of a growling dog...definitively NOT a compliment :rolleyes: No one will want to be your friend si siempre tienes una cara de perro..LOL

I agree with you. I'd hate to be called that.

As far as "poker-face", I've heard people refer to that face as "cara de piedra" only because you can't tell what the person is thinking or feeling. But I don't know if that is correct, Chileno, you live in Las Vegas have you ever heard of other terms that describe the face of a poker player? Just curious!

chileno March 17, 2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 28947)
I agree with you. I'd hate to be called that.

As far as "poker-face", I've heard people refer to that face as "cara de piedra" only because you can't tell what the person is thinking or feeling. But I don't know if that is correct, Chileno, you live in Las Vegas have you ever heard of other terms that describe the face of a poker player? Just curious!

Strangely enough, we call it cara de poker. :D

Y si. cara de piedra would be another term for it, although we would refer to it as care' piedra. :-)

We chileans and argentinians speak horribly the "home" spanish.

powerchisper July 01, 2011 02:45 AM

Cara de perro is literally dog face , but :

In Spain , " A cara de perro" , " A caraperro" o " A caracán" means that you don't share something with your friends , family , etc , for example :

"Me he comido la bolsa de patatas a caraperro" ( yo solo y sin darle a nadie )

" A tuerto " means the same , often used when talking about "hemp cigarettes not passed to your friends"

pinosilano July 01, 2011 04:39 AM

Cara de perro es un enojón, o sea, grumpy.:mad: