Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Chip on one's shoulder (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11794)

vita32 October 08, 2011 05:20 PM

Chip on one's shoulder
 
Chip on one's shoulder. When a person is said to have a chip on his/her shoulder, it means that he/she is easily offended. Is there a Spanish equivalent for this English idiom?

Thanks.

Glen October 08, 2011 05:52 PM

Ser muy provocador

Rusty October 08, 2011 06:08 PM

I don't know of an equivalent idiom, but here are some other translations:
Ser un resentido
Estar resentido
Estar rencoroso

Elaina October 08, 2011 06:13 PM

Well, first off we need to define what you mean when a person has a chip on their shoulder. I think the phrase itself indicates the person is easily offended but is also on the defensive all the time or maybe even angry.

For example,

- Where did you buy those shoes?
---Why? Don't they look okay? Why do you want to know? I don't need to know if they look okay or not, go talk to someone else.

Maybe with a touch of paranoia.

Quizas la persona "está llena de resentimientos". Está en la defensiva siempre. O simplemente, "tiene problemas".

:)

vita32 October 08, 2011 07:49 PM

Thank you, everyone for responding.

Perikles October 09, 2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 117623)
Well, first off we need to define what you mean when a person has a chip on their shoulder. I think the phrase itself indicates the person is easily offended but is also on the defensive all the time or maybe even angry.

I have never understood it as being easily offended, just that somebody has a complex about something. For example if someone dislikes everybody with academic qualifications because they feel resentful that they didn't have the same opportunities themselves. Somebody bearing a grudge. :)

aleCcowaN October 09, 2011 06:07 AM

In Argentina we use "leche hervida" -generally with "ponerse como" or "saltar como"- to describe those people susceptible or sensible that easily blow a gasket and become belligerent by taking things personally or as a matter of life and death ("tomarse las cosas a la tremenda")

Glen October 09, 2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 117632)
I have never understood it as being easily offended, just that somebody has a complex about something. For example if someone dislikes everybody with academic qualifications because they feel resentful that they didn't have the same opportunities themselves. Somebody bearing a grudge. :)

Sounds like you would go with another one I have heard, tener un poco de complejo, right?

Perikles October 10, 2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen (Post 117652)
Sounds like you would go with another one I have heard, tener un poco de complejo, right?

Right :thumbsup:

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 10, 2011 07:59 AM

@Glen: "Ser un provocador" means you are the one who makes people react (or overreact) negatively.
"Tener un poco de complejo" sounds awkward for a Mexican ear. We'd say "estar (un poco) acomplejado" or "tener algunos / unos cuantos complejos". ;)


A Mexican would also say about someone who is easily offended or touchy (because of their complexes or because they feel always attacked or so) that he/she is "muy susceptible".

Juan es muy susceptible. No quiero decirle que puso una fecha equivocada en el documento, porque va a hacer un pleito.
Juan is too touchy. I don't want to tell him he wrote a wrong date in the paper, because he'll start a fight.

Te advierto que soy muy susceptible, así que no hagas comentarios negativos sobre mi trabajo.
I warn you I'm very touchy, so you better don't make negative remarks on my work.


María está acomplejada por gorda. Le dije que su falda estaba muy bonita y se fue corriendo a cambiársela porque dijo que estaba muy apretada.
María has a complex about being fat. I told her that her skirt was pretty and she rushed to change it saying it was too tight.

Pedro dice que estoy muy acomplejada porque no me gusta ir a fiestas.
Pedro says I have some complex because I don't like going to parties.

Tienes complejo de inferioridad. Siempre crees que la gente te desprecia.
You have an inferiority complex. You always think people despises you.

poli October 10, 2011 08:41 AM

It should be known that having chip on one's shoulder is a special kind of
complex. It has been mentioned before, this term may not translate well into Spanish except perhaps in ponerse como leche hervida. Somehow I think this may mean prone to get angry in general which is a little different from having a chip on your shoulder which means to get peeved over a specific thing.

The best commonly understood term I can think of is guardar rencor (sobre algún asunto) o sesgo.

Rusty October 10, 2011 09:18 AM

This expression describes a person who wants to quarrel (looking for a fight - peleador). We generally ascribe this attitude to feelings of having been wronged (resentful). This is why I associated it with estar resentido / rencoroso.

Synonyms of the expression are:
beligerant, combative, contentious, disputacious, opinionated, quarrelsome or touchy (although 'touchy' sounds a tad weak)

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 10, 2011 09:55 AM

I see...
In Mexico, someone always looking for a fight is a "peleonero".

·Deja de ser tan peleonera, nadie te está ofendiendo.
·Juan es muy peleonero, así que deja de provocarlo.
·Esos muchachos son unos peleoneros, siempre están buscando pretextos para golpear a alguien.

"Ponerse como leche hervida" in Mexico doesn't say much, but we have "estar como agua para chocolate", which means that someone is already angry (could be about something unrelated to the people around) and expecting a pretext for fighting.

Glen October 10, 2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 117662)
@Glen: "Ser un provocador" means you are the one who makes people react (or overreact) negatively.
"Tener un poco de complejo" sounds awkward for a Mexican ear. We'd say "estar (un poco) acomplejado" or "tener algunos / unos cuantos complejos". ;)


A Mexican would also say about someone who is easily offended or touchy (because of their complexes or because they feel always attacked or so) that he/she is "muy susceptible".

Juan es muy susceptible. No quiero decirle que puso una fecha equivocada en el documento, porque va a hacer un pleito.
Juan is too touchy. I don't want to tell him he wrote a wrong date in the paper, because he'll start a fight.

Te advierto que soy muy susceptible, así que no hagas comentarios negativos sobre mi trabajo.
I warn you I'm very touchy, so you better don't make negative remarks on my work.


María está acomplejada por gorda. Le dije que su falda estaba muy bonita y se fue corriendo a cambiársela porque dijo que estaba muy apretada.
María has a complex about being fat. I told her that her skirt was pretty and she rushed to change it saying it was too tight.

Pedro dice que estoy muy acomplejada porque no me gusta ir a fiestas.
Pedro says I have some complex because I don't like going to parties.

Tienes complejo de inferioridad. Siempre crees que la gente te desprecia.
You have an inferiority complex. You always think people despises you.

Thank you, especially for giving all those examples! They really help.

vita32 October 10, 2011 08:18 PM

I appreciate everybody's comments and yes, :thumbsup: for Angelica's many examples.

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 11, 2011 07:39 AM

Glad it's useful. ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.