Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Haz tenido una semana cansada (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=19507)

Roxerz February 19, 2015 06:14 PM

Haz tenido una semana cansada

My (Mexican) friend wrote this to me on whatsapp, I asked, "Why use imperative when you are stating a fact which is indicative". She said she doesn't really know.

me: tomé un descanso, tenía mucho sueño. en mi parcial, casi dormí
her: Si descansa. Haz tenido una semana cansada

I believe this is the 2nd time she used a statement with 'haz' but I only know it as an imperative for Hacer and the sustantivo is something like 'beam'.

Rusty February 19, 2015 06:49 PM

It's all a matter of a simple misspelling. Think of the present perfect tense.

Roxerz February 19, 2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 153963)
It's all a matter of a simple misspelling. Think of the present perfect tense.

Wow, thank you Rusty. I couldn't believe I didn't think of it. It's a form of Haber instead of Hacer. Usually I'm not thrown off if they change the spelling with B and V but I can't believe I didn't realize Z/S

Julvenzor February 20, 2015 06:28 AM

A little big problem for "seseante" speakers is that they have more difficulties to distinguish between "s" and "z". By the way, what do you mean with "en mi parcial"?

[...]en mi parcial, casi me dormí/duermo.

A pleasure.

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 20, 2015 12:36 PM

@Julvenzor: Exámenes parciales. Son puntos de control durante un curso para "afianzar" conocimientos. "Parciales", que sólo evalúan los últimos temas vistos, por oposición al "final", que abarca todo el contenido. :)

Premium February 20, 2015 02:02 PM

My Mexican girlfriend does the same thing. There are many words that are spelled incorrectly due to the "s" and "z" sound, just like Julvenzor mentioned.

Rusty February 20, 2015 03:10 PM

Here is just one example of a misspelled sign I saw:
Serbisio, hanging above the door of el baño

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 20, 2015 03:48 PM

¡Ay, mis ojos! :D

Spelling mistakes are much more frequent than one would expect; people don't care much for what they write.

@Roxerz: When you find something that doesn't make much sense, like the use of "haber" for "a ver" or "ya vez" for "¿ya ves?", etc., try pronouncing it loud, and focus on how it sounds, so it will be easier to make sense of a poorly written expression. :)

wrholt February 20, 2015 06:40 PM

Several years ago, while visiting a neighborhood of Holyoke, MA where most residents speak Spanish as their first or only language, I saw an item of graffiti on the side of a brick building by a parking lot: "no tire vasura", which made no sense until I read it aloud.

Rusty February 20, 2015 06:56 PM

Yep, that's a common mistake.