Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary by Topic (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Opposites — Antónimos (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5117)

vita32 September 04, 2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 93192)
Thanks for these.

The opposite of aquí could be ahí, allí, or allá. (hay = there is/there are)

blanca - negra (this has already been entered (we use the masculine form when listing adjectives that have both a masculine and a feminine form))

De nada y gracias por clarificaciones.:)

vita32 September 23, 2010 07:07 PM

I noticed that the english translation of "amargo" on the list of antonyms is "sour". I thought that amargo = bitter in English.

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 23, 2010 07:49 PM

Thank you, Vita. It's been corrected. :)

Perikles September 24, 2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 95289)

Yes, but if this a list of opposites, I'm not sure it is correct, because the 'opposite' of sweet is always sour = agrio, ácido.

Also, simpático – antipático kind – unkind
is surely nice - unpleasant, which is not quite the same thing.

vita32 September 24, 2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 95289)

You're welcome.:)

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 24, 2010 09:03 AM

@Perikles: :banghead: That's the reason why I hate making this kind of lists. :D

"Antipático" is for me an unkind behaviour of people, and I learnt "ácido"/"salado" y "dulce"/"amargo", but if everyone agrees on the changes you propose, the list will be edited and corrected. :)

Perikles September 24, 2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 95373)
@Perikles: :banghead: That's the reason why I hate making this kind of lists. :D

"Antipático" is for me an unkind behaviour of people, and I learnt "ácido"/"salado" y "dulce"/"amargo", but if everyone agrees on the changes you propose, the list will be edited and corrected. :)

I really don't mind one way or the other, but I think if you asked 100 people what the opposite of 'sweet' is, 99 would say 'sour'. (The other one would say ¿qué? :D). And for me, being unpleasant is not the same as being unkind, but it's really not worth discussing the difference for a list.

Perhaps you should remove the request for comments below the list. :D

Oh God - I've just asked my wife what the opposite of 'sweet' is, and she went into a 5-minute trance :hmm: and said 'sweet' has no opposite. Either 'sour' or 'bitter' :banghead::banghead: But she did agree that most would say 'sour'.

chileno September 24, 2010 10:00 AM

To me "Agrio" does not have an opposite, per se.

Food turns sour when it decays. Or it is a phase of the decaying process.

Sweet<> Not sweet

Salty <> Not salty.

Etc. :)

Tarential September 25, 2010 12:31 PM

The opposite of sweet is sour. Yes, one can refer to things "souring" as they go bad, but that is not the main usage of the word.

In a technical way, there may be no opposite of "sweet". I'm not a chemist nor a biologist, so I have no way of determining if something that tastes sour is causing an "opposite" reaction in the human body. I can tell you for certain though, in the minds of the majority (the *vast* majority) of native English speakers the taste of "sour" is opposite to "sweet". One might make the same observation of one's disposition; "He's a very sweet man" or "He's a very sour man" are used as opposites. We eat sweet and sour sauce, sweet and sour candies.

I hope this helps confirm that the most commonly referred to antonym of "sweet" is "sour".

irmamar September 25, 2010 01:43 PM

This link may be useful. :)

Why nobody said "salado"? :thinking: