Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   El baño (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9711)

Jessicake December 04, 2010 08:54 PM

El baño

I have been told that while in the US you would ask to use the "bathroom" when you need to use the toilet, in other English speaking countries this is a very odd thing to say because if you ask for the bathroom you are asking to use the bathtub in that room. Is this also the case in some Spanish speaking countries?

I'm curious because I would feel very silly if I asked a stranger if I could bathe in their home.

ChilenoAlemanCanada December 04, 2010 09:05 PM

Asking to use the bathroom in other English-speaking countries wouldn't be the same as asking to bathe in their home. It's merely a different way of saying it.

sosia December 05, 2010 12:45 AM

In, spain, asking for the bahtroom ("el baño") is always asking to to the toilet. For taking a shower or using the bathtub are other expresions:
asking for the toilet:
¿puedo ir al baño?
¿podría usar su baño?
¿Puedo ir al servicio?

asking for the baththub
¿Podría darme una ducha?
¿donde podría ducharme?
Necesito lavarme completamente. ¿puedo usar su baño?

saludos :D

vita32 December 05, 2010 08:44 AM

"Restroom" is another term used in USA for bathroom (toilet). This term is commonly used and is a label for all public bathrooms (toilets). I don't know if the term is also used in all public toilets in all English speaking countries.

Perikles December 05, 2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vita32 (Post 101171)
"Restroom" is another term used in USA for bathroom (toilet). This term is commonly used and is a label for all public bathrooms (toilets). I don't know if the term is also used in all public toilets in all English speaking countries.

Never in the UK. :)

vita32 December 05, 2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 101174)
Never in the UK. :)

Thanks, Perikles. It's good to know. :)

CrOtALiTo December 09, 2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessicake (Post 101157)
I have been told that while in the US you would ask to use the "bathroom" when you need to use the toilet, in other English speaking countries this is a very odd thing to say because if you ask for the bathroom you are asking to use the bathtub in that room. Is this also the case in some Spanish speaking countries?

I'm curious because I would feel very silly if I asked a stranger if I could bathe in their home.

Really I know the word bathroom like you told us, I don't know other names for that, I believe it's the more appropriate for refer in that form over the bathroom.

I believe is more polite mention bathroom than bathtub, because in first thing I won't understand that word, that result hardest to understand in English, that if you told me, I'm going to the bathroom now.

Now I have a doubt in a phrase that you wrote in your post.

the phrase is.
I have been told?

I have made a little search in the internet, and solely I could to find this meaning for that phrase, but anyhow I'm not very sure about if that means or really means other thing.

I found this.

I have been told.

Me han dicho this is the translation in Spanish. Please correcting me if I am wrong.

I will appreciate your advice.

vita32 December 09, 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 101474)
Really I know the word bathroom like you told us, I don't know other names for that, I believe it's the more appropriate for refer in that form over the bathroom.

I believe is more polite mention bathroom than bathtub, because in first thing I won't understand that word, that result hardest to understand in English, that if you told me, I'm going to the bathroom now.

Now I have a doubt in a phrase that you wrote in your post.

the phrase is.
I have been told?

I have made a little search in the internet, and solely I could to find this meaning for that phrase, but anyhow I'm not very sure about if that means or really means other thing.

I found this.

I have been told.

Me han dicho this is the translation in Spanish. Please correcting me if I am wrong.

@Crotalito, Another way of saying the phrase is:

"I have been told (by someone)". Somehow in English this last part is omitted. It is also correct to say: "Someone told me...". I hope this helps.:)

Jferstler December 09, 2010 07:20 PM

In America, if some asks to use the bathroom, they're asking to use the toilet.

In spanish. Can I use the bathroom is:

Puedo Usar El bano?

Am I right?

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 10, 2010 07:34 AM

@Joe: Yes, just be careful with spelling: Capital letters are only used at the start of the sentence, opening question mark is not to be missed and "ñ" can't be replaced by "n". You can type Spanish charaters with the drop-down accent menu on top of replying-to-post box. :)

The question should be:
¿Puedo usar el baño?

Other ways of asking:

¿Dónde está el baño?
¿Puedo pasar al baño?

Jferstler December 10, 2010 01:27 PM

Thanks!

"¿Dónde está el baño?"
That would be asking "Where is the bathroom?" right?

pierrre December 10, 2010 04:51 PM

Can 'retrete' and 'cloaca' be used as synonyms for baño? Or do those words convey a different meaning like an outhouse or latrine?

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 10, 2010 05:23 PM

In Mexico "retrete" is not used, but can be understood as "baño".

"Cloaca" is rather used for "gutter".

And "latrine" is a "letrina".

Jessicake December 10, 2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 101474)
I found this.

I have been told.

Yes, I believe "Me han dicho" is the same as saying "I have been told" or "I've been told" :)

irmamar December 11, 2010 12:30 PM

Where I live, "lavabo" is the common word used for toilet, although "servicio" is also used. At home both "lavabo" and "cuarto de baño" (or simply "baño"). :)

CrOtALiTo December 11, 2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vita32 (Post 101499)
@Crotalito, Another way of saying the phrase is:

"I have been told (by someone)". Somehow in English this last part is omitted. It is also correct to say: "Someone told me...". I hope this helps.:)

I agree quite with you.

Solely I did a little refer about the phrase said before for someone, in fact is more understanding your commentary Someone has told me.

In essence I wrote this.

I have been told.

But well I can't relation with any other word in English, in addition either I can understand the phrase.

Thank you
CrOtALiTo.

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 12, 2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 101617)
Where I live, "lavabo" is the common word used for toilet, although "servicio" is also used. At home both "lavabo" and "cuarto de baño" (or simply "baño"). :)

"Lavabo" in Mexico is only the sink where you wash your hands... but in some situations it might be understood as an acceptable euphemism for the word "baño".

"Servicios" can also be used (in plural), in public places, like a store or a restaurant.

CrOtALiTo December 12, 2010 05:28 PM

Yes I'm agree with you.

In many places here in our country the bathroom is called Services room man or the contrary in both cases.

Elaina December 12, 2010 05:33 PM

Where does "WC" fit in all these terms? I've seen it written on public bathroom doors to indicate it is the bathroom. BTW...what does "WC" stand for? Water closet?

Maybe it is an old term.

JPablo December 13, 2010 02:29 AM

Yes, Water Closet. 35 to 40 years ago, at home I would say to my mom, "Tengo que ir al wáter". Then "baño" "servicio" was used in public places, and as Irmamar says "el lavabo" or "los labavos" or "el servicio" or "los servicios" is used commonly...

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 13, 2010 12:39 PM

In Mexico, "W.C." is only used for signs in public buildings. People doesn't really use it in daily speech.

Beto January 11, 2011 07:35 PM

Me han dico is close, I think. Also "se dice" is very similar.

southernbelle January 27, 2011 11:49 AM

In Spain I've mostly heard public restroom referred to as "aseos" in Mexico "servicios". And I've seen this labeled this way rather than as baño. I was also told bano was mostly for a home type setting, rather than in public.

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 27, 2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernbelle (Post 104235)
I was also told baño was mostly for a home type setting, rather than in public.

Not necessarily. Although one tends to use "baños" (in plural) in public places, if one asks "¿dónde está el baño?" in a public place, it's perfectly natural and well understood. (At least in Mexico.)

Tron March 10, 2011 07:38 PM

You could ask to use their "facilities" but that might even be more confusing. I confused me the first time someone asked using that term.

CrOtALiTo March 11, 2011 10:36 AM

Yes I use the bathroom word in my country.

I don't know if there're other uses in other different country to mine, already I need to know what is it uses in this case.

Bathroom (Baño). I don't know if that inclusive I can use that as Tocador.

Sincerely yours.