Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Compound prepositional objects (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6731)

laepelba January 04, 2010 06:36 PM

Compound prepositional objects

If I want to say ".... with you and your family", does "contigo..." really work?

"Me encantaba pasar tiempo contigo y tu familia." ???

chileno January 04, 2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67545)
If I want to say ".... with you and your family", does "contigo..." really work?

"Me encantaba pasar tiempo contigo y tu familia." ???

Yes. :)

No puedes decir con ti o con tú. ;)

laepelba January 04, 2010 06:49 PM

Thanks! :)

ookami January 04, 2010 09:25 PM

Taking in account your signature laepelba, here you would say "Me encantaba pasar tiempo con vos y tu familia." I think is the only option lefting (creo que es la única opción que queda?)

Rusty January 04, 2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 67555)
Taking into account your signature laepelba, here you would say "Me encantaba pasar tiempo con vos y tu familia." I think it's the only option lefting (creo que es la única opción que queda?)

Some corrections. Not all of Latin America uses el voseo. A mí me encanta vosear, pero son pocos los que lo saben por estos lares. :(

bobjenkins January 04, 2010 09:42 PM

Conmigo
Contigo

¿Solamente a esas palabras se las unen, o hay otras?

Con + ella:confused:
Con + él:confused:

ookami January 04, 2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 67556)
Some corrections. Not all of Latin America uses el voseo. A mí me encanta vosear, pero son pocos los que lo saben por estos lares. :(

Thanks Rusty. Yes I know, with "here" I was referring to my country and I know that laepelba likes Uruguay, there it is used, and there are a lot of Argentinians living and travelling to Ur. with huge frequency (actually, I'm going there in less than a month), so I think it'll be usefull for her.

It's difficult to learn the "voseo"?
Ya sabés con quién practicar si querés.

bobjenkins January 04, 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 67562)
Thanks Rusty. Yes I know, with "here" I was referring to my country and I know that laepelba likes Uruguay, there it is used, and there are a lot of Argentinians living and travelling to Ur. with huge frequency (actually, I'm going there in less than a month), so I think it'll be usefull for her.

El ele no tiene un amigo en usefull :D

Rusty January 04, 2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

... Is it difficult to learn the "voseo"?

No, no es difícil de aprender. Siempre me podés tratar de vos.

@Bob: consigo (used when sí is otherwise used as the prepositional object pronoun)

laepelba January 05, 2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 67555)
Taking in account your signature laepelba, here you would say "Me encantaba pasar tiempo con vos y tu familia." I think is the only option lefting (creo que es la única opción que queda?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 67556)

Quote:

What in the world are you people talking about!? I thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America? I haven't really been learning it for that reason.

And I specifically do not want to say "you (all)" (in the second person plural), I specifically want to say "with you (singular) and your family". How does "vos" fit into that??

And what in the world is "voseo", I thought that the object pronoun for "vosotros" was "vos" (like "nosotros" and "nos").

What!?

bobjenkins January 05, 2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67598)
What in the world are you people talking about!? I thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America? I haven't really been learning it for that reason.

And I specifically do not want to say "you (all)" (in the second person plural), I specifically want to say "with you (singular) and your family". How does "vos" fit into that??

And what in the world is "voseo", I thought that the object pronoun for "vosotros" was "vos" (like "nosotros" and "nos").

What!?

El voseo yo creo que es "vos"

Vosotros - os
(Vosotros) os sentís bienes (sentirse)
You all feel well

pjt33 January 05, 2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú, and has its own verb forms. In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality. It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.

Para más información: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBu...seo&origen=RAE

laepelba January 05, 2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 67602)
Vosotros - os
(Vosotros) os sentís bienes (sentirse)
You all feel well

Right, but I've been told that it's not used in Latin America. This is the first time I've heard of it. My best friend is Peruvian, and just this weekend she was telling someone else that "vosotros" is used in Spain, and "ustedes" is used in Latin America..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 67605)
Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular (???) pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú (???), and has its own verb forms (!!!???). In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality (so three verb conjugations!!?? where is THAT on the charts?). It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.

Para más información: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBu...seo&origen=RAE

I'm still confused. and that page is all in Spanish. I'm going to need to look for this information somewhere in English. It is the FIRST time I've heard that vosotros is both singular and plural. I honestly thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America. My Salvadoran friend told me that it's quite rude to use it, and that people will be very offended.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: :thinking:

bobjenkins January 05, 2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67607)
Right, but I've been told that it's not used in Latin America. This is the first time I've heard of it. My best friend is Peruvian, and just this weekend she was telling someone else that "vosotros" is used in Spain, and "ustedes" is used in Latin America..........

I'm still confused. and that page is all in Spanish. I'm going to need to look for this information somewhere in English. It is the FIRST time I've heard that vosotros is both singular and plural. I honestly thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America. My Salvadoran friend told me that it's quite rude to use it, and that people will be very offended.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: :thinking:

Vos es diferente que vosotros

Vos es usado en lugares en latinoamericano y no en España , y vosotros es usado en España y no en latinoamericano:)

Espero que te ayude:)

PD.
Vosotros es plural como ustedes
Vos es singular como tú

laepelba January 05, 2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 67609)
Vos es diferente que vosotros

Vos es usado en lugares en latinoamericano y no en España , y vosotros es usado en España y no en latinoamericano:)

Espero que te ayude:)

PD.
Vosotros es plural como ustedes
Vos es singular como tú

Nope, sorry Bob - not really helpful. There are certain things that I need to have explained to me in English because I don't know enough Spanish to understand explanations IN Spanish ABOUT Spanish.

If I'm going to Google this to try to read more about it (in English), what search string do I use to Google. "Vos" sounds a lot like the counterpart to "vosotros" to me (like "nos" and "nosotros"...)

pjt33 January 05, 2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67607)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 67605)
Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular (???) pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú (???), and has its own verb forms (!!!???). In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality (so three verb conjugations!!?? where is THAT on the charts?). It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.

Singular. As in

(yo) como
(vos) comés
(él/ella/usted) come
(nosotros) comemos
(ellos/ellas/ustedes) comen

In the DRAE's verb charts it appears next to tú: e.g.

como
comes / comés
come
comemos
coméis
comen

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67610)
If I'm going to Google this to try to read more about it (in English), what search string do I use to Google. "Vos" sounds a lot like the counterpart to "vosotros" to me (like "nos" and "nosotros"...)

nosotros :: nos as vosotros :: os (note the lack of v)

Try searching for "voseo".

chileno January 05, 2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

What!?

El "vos" es para "tú" y se usa en Argentina, Uruguay, Guatemala, El Salvador, y no estoy seguro en donde más.

En Chile todavía se usa en cierta forma y no es bien mirado.

laepelba January 05, 2010 10:15 AM

Wow - this is totally new to me. Is this something that they don't teach in school Spanish in the US? I'm going to go Google it......

Perikles January 05, 2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67643)
Wow - this is totally new to me. Is this something that they don't teach in school Spanish in the US? I'm going to go Google it......

I can't cope with this. It's bad enough trying to learn Spanish as spoken in Spain.....:D

irmamar January 05, 2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 67655)
I can't cope with this. It's bad enough trying to learn Spanish as spoken in Spain.....:D

Much worse is as spoken in Tenerife (sometimes I don't understand every word a "Canario" friend of mine says). :D

chileno January 05, 2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 67655)

I know! That's exactly what I thought when I heard Australian people talking... :)

ookami January 05, 2010 03:04 PM

The "voseo" isn't to difficult actually, you just use "vos" instead of "tú", and you change the verb like this:

Tú sabes - Vos sabés
Tú comes - Vos comés
Tú entiendes - Vos entendés
Tú piensas - Vos pensás
Tú cantas - Vos cantás
Tú corres - Vos corrés
Tú amas - Vos amás
etc.
I think that's all. The accent goes to the last syllabe and, if the accent in "tú" is in a diphthong(not always), well, then the verb changes, but is very predictable how it changes as you can see in the examples. (I'm saying all this thinking of it in the moment and without have studied this never before, so if you search for a formal tutorial, sure it's a lot simplier and better explained, excuse me)

In Argentina almost all chats, even formal ones, are with "voseo". (and if it's too formal, "usted", but "tú" is rarely used, and here it's sounds very awkward in a normal situtation)

Rusty January 05, 2010 03:52 PM

I used voseo all the time in Central America. In addition to the present indicative tense, el voseo that I learned also had a present subjunctive form and an imperative form, both of which differ from the ones used for . We didn't use different past or conditional tense forms - these were the same as used for . Same with the future tense.

@lou ann: Don't worry about learning el voseo until there's a need. :):)

bobjenkins January 05, 2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67694)
I know! That's exactly what I thought when I heard Australian people talking... :)

Vi una película llamada "funny people" y Eric Bana que es australiano y me es difícil entenderle :D

laepelba January 05, 2010 06:59 PM

Okay, since I last had a chance to write, I have had a chance to do a little reading on voseo, and I'm not as scared of it as I originally was. I think that it merely startled me that I had missed something so significant.

First of all, thank you to Ooooooooookami for remembering that I love all things Uruguayan! I hope that you think of me when you travel there in the near future ... think of me while you're drinking mate and while you're eating asado. There is a chance that I may be able to travel there again this summer ... it's a slight chance, but I'll take every opportunity I can to spend time in Uruguay! I love it there!! I'll certainly be asking my Uruguayan friends to help me with vos!

I found a good article on Wikipedia (the English site) that gives a comprehensive overview of voseo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voseo - I'm only about halfway done reading it, but I find it very interesting. I love the etymologies and explanations that it gives.

I also spoke with a Honduran student this afternoon about her use of vos. She had plenty to say about exactly who she would use it with, and exactly what situations it would be appropriate for. Very interesting!

So, given my love of Uruguay and my desire to travel to Argentina someday, I will put voseo on my list of Spanish things to master ... immediately next to the subjunctive (Bob - I ordered that book!) ... because it seems to be an important point.

Thanks to you all for the comments on it. When I have questions on the topic I will post to a new thread. :) I honestly thought that this would be a very short thread! LOL!!

Cheers!!

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 06, 2010 01:11 PM

@Lou Ann: "vos" is "tú" in Argentina, Uruguay and other countries, but it has its own conjugation, which has nothing to do with "vosotros" or the archaic "vos".

Of course ookami, now that he's back, can help you more with practice. :)

chileno January 06, 2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 67829)
@Lou Ann: "vos" is "tú" in Argentina, Uruguay and other countries, but it has its own conjugation, which has nothing to do with "vosotros" or the archaic "vos".

Of course ookami, now that he's back, can help you more with practice. :)

¿Vos creés?

:rolleyes:

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 06, 2010 03:49 PM

Y... vos podés ashudar igual. ;)

pjt33 January 06, 2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 67855)

:lol:

chileno January 06, 2010 05:47 PM

:lol:

laepelba January 06, 2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

:lol::lol::lol:

chileno January 06, 2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67873)

Ah, sha veo que entendés bien. :D

laepelba January 07, 2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67847)
¿Vos creés?

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67873)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67885)
Ah, sha veo que entendés bien. :D

Creo que entiendo...... :) Porque en Uruguay, no se dice "ayudar" pero "a-zhoo-dahr". Y uds. usaban el voseo.... ¿Sí?

chileno January 07, 2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67906)
Creo que entiendo...... :) Porque en Uruguay, no se dice "ayudar" pero "a-zhoo-dahr". Y uds. usaban el voseo.... ¿Sí?

:)

Sí y no.

De ocuparlo suena vó y no vos, and it is very low register.

Vó mé entendí (bad, bad, bad) :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 07, 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 67906)
Creo que entiendo...... :) Porque en Uruguay, no se dice "ayudar" pero sino "a-zhoo-dahr". Y uds. usaban el voseo.... ¿Sí?

Sí. :thumbsup:

Nice work, Lou Ann! :applause:

chileno January 07, 2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 67943)
Sí. :thumbsup: :?::?::?:

¿Nosotro' lo' chileno' lo ocupamos o ustedes los Mexicanos? :lol::lol::lol:

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 07, 2010 12:52 PM

Nosotro' lo' del foro, que pusimo' ejemplo' del vo' argentino. :D

chileno January 07, 2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 67963)
Nosotro' lo' del foro, que pusimo' ejemplo' del vo' argentino. :D

Sha veo!:D

laepelba January 07, 2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 67943)
Sí. :thumbsup:

Woo hoo! I love when I start to understand humor in Spanish. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 67967)
Sha veo!:D

:lol::lol: