Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Lawn mower (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11129)

poli June 20, 2011 05:50 PM

Lawn mower

I was told it's podadora, but dictionaries state it's guadañera/segadora/cortadora. Is there a preferred word?

aleCcowaN June 20, 2011 06:13 PM

"Podadora" uses to be the chosen term for dubbed series and films in America. That should be because it's the most common term or because there's no common term and that's the Mexican way to name it. "Segadora" is also used, but it's less frequent.

In Argentina is called "cortadora de césped" (though "césped" is called "pasto").

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 112465)
I was told it's podadora, but dictionaries state it's guadañera/segadora/cortadora. Is there a preferred word?

I use "Cortadora de césped". We never use "segadora". I've always thought it refers more to the equipment used to "segar el trigo" (segadora de trigo and presumably other grains)

"Podadora" is also used, but that's also the name we give "pruners" (or "tijeras podadoras"). It depends on context, of course. But we do say "podadora de césped" or "podadora de pasto".

As for "guadañera" I have never heard that word; we use a similar one "guadaña" but it's the name we give to a "trimmer".

All this is in Colombia, of course. I know nothing about the expressions in other countries.
;)

poli June 21, 2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Azul (Post 112478)
I use "Cortadora de césped". We never use "segadora". I've always thought it refers more to the equipment used to "segar el trigo" (segadora de trigo and presumably other grains)

"Podadora" is also used, but that's also the name we give "pruners" (or "tijeras podadoras"). It depends on context, of course. But we do say "podadora de césped" or "podadora de pasto".

As for "guadañera" I have never heard that word; we use a similar one "guadaña" but it's the name we give to a "trimmer".

All this is in Colombia, of course. I know nothing about the expressions in other countries.
;)

....but Colombia coincides with Argentina, so I starting to think so
I'm now of the belief that cortadora/podadora de césped/pasto
are the best terms.

Thank you Luna and Alec.

Tomisimo June 21, 2011 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the context of Mexican Spanish, I'd go with podadora.

Attachment 405
Image source.

powerchisper July 03, 2011 04:08 AM

In Spanish it's "cortacésped" there is also a movie called "lawn mower" and it was translated as "cortador de césped" because it referred to the guy who handles the machine , I think.

Elaina July 04, 2011 12:40 PM

Or.......commonly used in these parts....

la cortadora de sacate

Don't kill the messenger

:blackeye:

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 04, 2011 01:57 PM

Zacate. Es una palabra de origen náhuatl para "pasto". :)