Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Me parece que + indicative vs. subjunctive (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=23685)

Aprendo April 13, 2019 08:20 AM

Me parece que + indicative vs. subjunctive

I used youtube and the instruction wasn't there and I tried the search function on this forum.

(I should know this rule by know but I'm asking):

When and why does

Me parece que + indicative

vs.

Me parece que + subjunctive

Gracias.

wrholt April 13, 2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aprendo (Post 175609)
I used youtube and the instruction wasn't there and I tried the search function on this forum.

(I should know this rule by know but I'm asking):

When and why does

Me parece que + indicative

vs.

Me parece que + subjunctive:bad:

Gracias.

I've done a little bit of searching for examples of both me parece que and no me parece que.

From what I found, I think that me parece que is generally followed by the indicative.

However, no me parece que is sometimes followed by the indicative and sometimes followed by the subjunctive. It appeared to me that the cases where it was followed by the indicative were generally related to past events, while where it was followed by the subjunctive, it was generally related to present or future events.

Here are a couple of the examples I found at https://www.linguee.com/spanish-engl...arece+que.html:

(followed by indicative)
No tengo la plena seguridad, pero no me parece que la mayoría de los padres cuyos hijos han cometido un delito de esa índole pensaban que su hijo era capaz de cometerlo. = I'm not 100 percent sure, but I do not believe most of the parents who have children who have committed such crimes thought that their children were capable of doing so.

(followed by subjunctive)
Las actividades, como tales, del primer pilar no me parece que deban modificarse de manera importante. = I do not see any need to make major changes to the first pillar as it stands.

Aprendo April 16, 2019 08:36 PM

Thanks for the response holt.

I'm aware of the general rule but I was watching "Espanol con Juan" on YT and he noted an exception.

Perhaps I shouldn't focus on these things.

AngelicaDeAlquezar April 16, 2019 09:10 PM

I agree with Wrholt.
@Aprendo: Can you provide an example of the exception you found? It might be easier to explain a special case if there is one. :thinking:

Aprendo April 17, 2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 175647)
I agree with Wrholt.
@Aprendo: Can you provide an example of the exception you found? It might be easier to explain a special case if there is one. :thinking:

Thanks for the response Angelica - and I already regret starting this thread b/c I think it's too esoteric. But I did....so.

Here is "Espanol Con Juan" Youtube channel description:

"El subjuntivo en español es un poco complicado para muchos estudiantes. Por ejemplo, "me parece" se puede usar con o sin subjuntivo. En este vídeo vemos cuándo se usa "me parece" con indicativo y cuando se usa con subjuntivo."

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWsIeO0Pcc

Rusty April 17, 2019 10:51 AM

The video tells you, at 1:00, when to use the indicative in the affirmative.
It tells you to use the subjunctive in the negative, at 4:40.

The subjunctive is used in the affirmative when you insert a valuation, either positive or negative, before saying the conjunction que. This information is stated at 9:16.

Aprendo April 17, 2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 175652)
The video tells you, at 1:00, when to use the indicative in the affirmative.
It tells you to use the subjunctive in the negative, at 4:40.

The subjunctive is used in the affirmative when you insert a valuation, either positive or negative, before saying the conjunction que. This information is stated at 9:16.

Thanks much.

I missed it then at 9:16. Perhaps it's b/c he's talking in espanol although I usually understand almost 98% of what he says.

aleCcowaN April 18, 2019 10:38 AM

When

Me parece = Creo = I think

The affirmative case is followed by indicative (that notion is in my mind) and the negative case is followed by subjunctive (that notion is not in my mind), and that's it.

When

Me parece = I deem

it's followed by subjunctive

Me parece horrible que no se haga responsable
No me parece bueno que evada sus responsabilidades

Think about "Me parece." as an incomplete sentence ("Te parece ¿qué?") while "Me parece horrible" is a complete sentence although an incomplete statement ("¿Qué te parece horrible?").

Es indiferente que haya o no emociones, opiniones y otras cosas involucradas.

poli April 18, 2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 175659)
When

Me parece = Creo = I think

The affirmative case is followed by indicative (that notion is in my mind) and the negative case is followed by subjunctive (that notion is not in my mind), and that's it.

When

Me parece = I deem

it's followed by subjunctive

Me parece horrible que no se haga responsable
No me parece bueno que evada sus responsabilidades

Think about "Me parece." as an incomplete sentence ("Te parece ¿qué?") while "Me parece horrible" is a complete sentence although an incomplete statement ("¿Qué te parece horrible?").

Es indiferente que haya o no emociones, opiniones y otras cosas involucradas.

Me parece also translates directly to English, and it is commonly used. Example: It seems to me that he is lying.

AngelicaDeAlquezar April 18, 2019 09:47 PM

@Aprendo: I think the idea is to understand the difference between "me parece que (no)"/"Creo que (no)" and "no me parece que"/"no creo que".

- Me parece que mis estudiantes no saben mucho de cine español.
- No me parece que mis estudiantes sepan mucho de cine español.

- Creo que Javier Bardem no es tan guapo.
- No creo que Javier Bardem sea tan guapo.