Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Did you eat yet? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1277)

Tomisimo May 11, 2008 02:46 PM

Did you eat yet?

I have a sort of trivia question, but it's for non-native English speakers only. :) Native English speakers can participate, but please don't give away the answers yet.

I was just with a friend and I asked him if he had eaten yet. And in that moment my Krashen output monitor kicked in and I heard the phrase I had just said. What I said was:
Did you eat yet?
So now for the adivinanza:

1. Tell me how many syllables I used to pronounce that phrase.
2. Give me an IPA representation of my pronunciation.

Hints: I'm a US English speaker and I was speaking normal, but pretty fast.

Remember if you're a native English speaker, let the non-natives have a try at this first please.

Have at it :)

gatitoverde May 11, 2008 09:24 PM

Hey, I was going to let them figure it out. <----8 or 9 syllables. :cool:

Marcos May 11, 2008 09:28 PM

This looks like fun. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Tomisimo May 11, 2008 09:56 PM

After a few non-natives guess, (and one of them gets it right), then we can discuss whether or not we (as natives) pronounce it the same, and how many syllables we use.

A los demás: No se preocupen de que se pueden equivocar. Intenten y les daré más hints. :D

sosia May 12, 2008 02:01 AM

no idea. A guess....
Did you eat yet? -> di ya i yat???? 4 sílabas??
greetings :D

gatitoverde May 12, 2008 03:11 AM

Sosia, you're on the right track, yet I'm afraid you underestimate the caliber of pure, unadulterated laziness that the component parts of the modern American mouth are capable of attaining. <----intentionally florid speech. ;)

Iris May 12, 2008 03:35 AM

I would say just two syllables. I'm not going to write the transcription because I'm terrible at phonetics.:o

Alfonso May 12, 2008 03:43 AM

I would say you used three syllables:
  • /Did / you eat / yet?
Or even two:
  • /Di you eat /yet?
I can't believe you did it in one single syllable.

But I can imagine you used half of a syllable:
  • You had your mouth full of food, your friend came along, you pointed at your mouth and said: grrrrr.

Iris May 12, 2008 03:49 AM

He's not only clever, but also funny:rolleyes:...One in a million, really.:cool:

gatitoverde May 12, 2008 03:56 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha! That's the funniest sh*t I've heard since I joined this wacky band of castaways! :D

I'm reminded of a joke the sailors made about my fellow Marines and I when we were on ship. Marines are known for their hoots and grunts and it was joked that our signature hoot was either 1) a system of counting, or 2) an abbreviation of the phrase "Hey, there's a line. Let's go stand in it!