Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cofre (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5417)

DailyWord September 18, 2009 03:25 PM

Cofre
 
This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for September 18, 2009

cofre (masculine noun (el)) — chest, case, box, hood, bonnet. Look up cofre in the dictionary

Abrieron el cofre para descubrir el tesoro.
They opened the chest and discovered the treasure.

EmpanadaRica September 18, 2009 03:41 PM

Well interesting, in both Dutch and German the word 'koffer' exists, meaning 'maleta'/ 'suitcase' :p

It exists as ''coffer in English too but with a similar meaning as mentioned here :)

Quote:

1.a box or chest, esp. one for valuables.2.coffers, a treasury; funds: The coffers of the organization were rapidly filled by the contributions.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/coffer
So is this word still used frequently in Spanish or is it somewhat oldfashioned perhaps? Would you see it in stories/ fairytales or e.g. as in treasure chests with pirate stories? :confused:

Or would it be used daily as in a type of big box as well? :)

CrOtALiTo September 18, 2009 04:22 PM

I have the chest of my imagination.

The Barbara's chest.

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 18, 2009 06:51 PM

@Empanada: "cofre" or "baúl" can be big wooden boxes... not only treasure containers. ;)


Otro cofre:

El mecánico me pidió que abriera el cofre del auto para ver el motor.
The mechanic asked me to open the hood of the car to see the motor.

ookami September 18, 2009 07:05 PM

Daily no, baúl is a lot more common for that. You will find it in fairy tales more than nothing.(is this okay?)

5.
m. Méx. Parte del automóvil que contiene el motor.
I didn't knew that, we say "capot, "capó", "capota".

EmpanadaRica September 19, 2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 52296)
@Empanada: "cofre" or "baúl" can be big wooden boxes... not only treasure containers. ;)


Otro cofre:

El mecánico me pidió que abriera el cofre del auto para ver el motor.
The mechanic asked me to open the hood of the car to see the motor.

Haha qué lastima... ya habia empezado imaginarme grandes historias de pirátes con cofres de oro... :sad: :D :p

Interesting, in Dutch we use 'kofferbak' (i.e. 'caja de maletas') para decir 'maletero'... (i.e. the 'trunk' of the car.. I always find 'trunk' such a strange word to refer to trees, cars as well as swimming gear :confused: :p...) :D
So in fact 'el cofre' refers to the other side of the car.. :thinking: :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 52301)
Daily no, baúl is a lot more common for that. You will find it in fairy tales more than nothing.(is this okay?)

5. m. Méx. Parte del automóvil que contiene el motor.
I didn't knew that, we say "capot, "capó", "capota".

As in 'hood', 'bonnet' , 'cap' :confused: (In Dutch this would be very similar : 'motorkap' entonces ' capó del motor' ;) )

And in Spain which word is used most often? :)

irmamar September 19, 2009 04:26 AM

Here we say 'capó' :)

EmpanadaRica September 19, 2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 52353)
Here we say 'capó' :)

¡Thanx! :) :rose:

pjt33 September 19, 2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica (Post 52332)
I always find 'trunk' such a strange word to refer to trees, cars as well as swimming gear :confused: :p...

Elephants' noses...

EmpanadaRica September 19, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 52362)
Elephants' noses...

Oh yes! :eek: I knew I had forgotten one... :D :lol:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.