Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cocina (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3465)

DailyWord March 30, 2009 03:17 AM

Cocina

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for March 30, 2009

cocina (feminine noun (la)) — kitchen. Look up cocina in the dictionary

Vamos a la cocina para preparar la cena.
Let's go to the kitchen and make dinner.

Ambarina March 30, 2009 04:18 AM

Sorry, but I think the definition is a bit short.
Cocina can also mean cuisine, the types of food cooked in any given country, region, etc., not just the room in a house where you prepare food. :twocents:
e.g. La cocina mediterránea es muy saludable. La cocina japonesa utiliza mucho pescado crudo.:)

poli March 30, 2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambarina (Post 30192)
Cocina can also mean cuisine, the types of food cooked in any given country, region, etc., not just the room in a house where you prepare food. :twocents:
e.g. La cocina mediterránea es muy saludable. La cocina japonesa utiliza mucho pescado crudo.:)

You are right the Spanish cocina translates directly to the French Cuisine.The English word kitchen can probably be used the same way but it's less common. It's popular in the United States (at least on the east coast) for restuarants to advertise themselves as preparing Chinese cuisine, Italian cuisine,Thai cuisine, French cuisine etc. To me it seems a little pretentious to adapt the French word for kitchen . Cuisine can be substituted with kitchen and people would understand.

Ambarina March 30, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 30197)
You are right the Spanish cocina translates directly to the French Cuisine.The English word kitchen can probably be used the same way but it's less common. It's popular in the United States (at least on the east coast) for restuarants to advertise themselves as preparing Chinese cuisine, Italian cuisine,Thai cuisine, French cuisine etc. To me it seems a little pretentious to adapt the French word for kitchen . Cuisine can be substituted with kitchen and people would understand.

I agree that sometimes the use of French words in English are a bit pretentious but I guess that sometimes words are imported into a language to clarify meanings; to use them as they would be used in the original language.
One import that my students (Spanish) used to find amusing was "alfresco" painting. Not sure if it came into English via Spanish or Italian, though.

Fazor March 30, 2009 08:55 AM

You have to remember that French is integrated into English in two ways; first, the proximity and parallel histories of France and England, as well as heavy French colonization of the Americas. It's not that English speakers say "Hey, we want to sound fancy, lets use a French word!" It's been built in by the mingling of cultures.

Tomisimo March 30, 2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambarina (Post 30192)

You're absolutely right.

CrOtALiTo March 30, 2009 07:38 PM

But What is the word correct for the phrase cocina at English.

Kitchen or cuisine.

I'm confuse.

AngelicaDeAlquezar March 30, 2009 07:47 PM

@Crotalito:

Cocina = "kitchen" cuando hablas de la parte de la casa.
Cocina = "cuisine" cuando se refiere al estilo de preparar recetas.

"Estoy en la cocina" -- "I'm in the kitchen"

"Compré un libro de cocina china" -- "I bought a book of Chinese cuisine"

CrOtALiTo March 30, 2009 08:33 PM

I gotcha it.

lee ying March 30, 2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 30291)
@Crotalito:

Cocina = "kitchen" cuando hablas de la parte de la casa.
Cocina = "cuisine" cuando se refiere al estilo de preparar recetas.

"Estoy en la cocina" -- "I'm in the kitchen"

"Compré un libro de cocina china" -- "I bought a book of Chinese cuisine"

Yes,I´m agree with you: kitchen se refiere al lugar ,la parte de la casa .
and cuisine: se refiere a la comida en general: for example, how would you rate mexican cuisine?:rolleyes::pizza: