Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Practice & Homework (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I want to improve my English skills (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=251)

EnglishStudent May 08, 2006 05:31 PM

I want to improve my English skills

I want to improve my English skills

I have been studying English for a while but there are many things that I don´t undestand.

I would like to practice my English in order to improve my skills, can you help me?

Thanks in advance

Tomisimo May 08, 2006 11:08 PM

Re: I want to improve my English skills

Hi, English student, and welcome to the forums. :) If you want to improve your English skills, I think you've come to a pretty good place. If you have any questions or uncertainties, just ask and I'll try my best to answer (or someone else here will). If you want to practice right here, we can start a conversation. For instance, what is your next-favorite hobby after studying English?

EnglishStudent May 09, 2006 09:12 AM

Hi Tomisimo

Thanks for your kind offer; I take it.

My first question: For instance is like by the way?

One of my favorite hobbies is reading. Now I´m reading "My Lyfe" the autobiography by Bill Clynton, in English. It´s a 600-pages book, and it´s really good. Also I´ve read in English: The Alchemist, The Power of Positive Thinking, and The Seven Habits of the High Efective People.

I really like to improve my English, specially my listening and speaking, in that order. I can read in English pretty well.

Thanks.

Tomisimo May 09, 2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English_student
For instance is like by the way?

For instance is basically a synonym for "For example"

Quote:

One of my favorite hobbies is reading

I like reading too. I'm into newspapers, magazines, novels, biographies, history- you name it, I'll read it. (almost :) )

Quote:

"My Lyfe" ... by Bill Clynton

Ya like that "y" don't you? => "my life" "Bill Clinton"

Quote:

It´s a 600-pages book

It's a 600-page book.

Quote:

Seven Habits of the High Efective People

Seven habits of highly effective people.

Quote:

I really like to improve my English, specially my listening and speaking, in that order. I can read in English pretty well.

Yes, it's a pretty well-known fact that reading is usually the easiest, then listening and lastly, speaking is the hardest. But if you keep on trying and practicing, you'll keep improving. Do you have someone there near where you live that you can practice speaking with?

EnglishStudent May 09, 2006 04:49 PM

Thanks for the comments and corrections.

No, I have nobody here for practicing my English. Recently, I´m trying in the messenger chat rooms with voice (Cultures and community); sometimes turned out well.

I´m looking for somebody to talk with, in order to improve my listening and speaking. Could you recommend me something to do?

I confess, sometimes I want to quit, because after all these years I can´t understand all I hear in English. There are some TV programs I can understand better than others. For instance (the word you teached me) I can understand Larry King Live, CNN news and NPR (almost everything); but I can´t understand ER, friends, desperate wives, that kind of TV programs. My friends tell me it´s a procces and I suppose they are right, but sometimes it´s hard.

Thanks for reading me.

Neophyte May 10, 2006 11:23 AM

tal vez yo puedo ayudarte tambien y tu tambien me ayudas. necesito ayuda en espanol. Gracias

johnny007 May 10, 2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

I confess, sometimes I want to quit, because after all these years I can´t understand all I hear in English. There are some TV programs I can understand better than others. For instance (the word you teached me) I can understand Larry King Live, CNN news and NPR (almost everything); but I can´t understand ER, friends, desperate wives, that kind of TV programs. My friends tell me it´s a procces and I suppose they are right, but sometimes it´s hard.

Don't quite man. I know it can be hard, and I'm having my own problems with learning spanish, but if you hang in there I think it gets easier, at least that's what they tell me. Good luck man.

EnglishStudent May 10, 2006 04:40 PM

Neophyte

Con mucho gusto te ayudo a mejorar tu español. Quizá podríamos hablar (messenger), es decir, no sólo escribir.

Si me mandas un mensaje, nos ponemos de acuerdo, saludos.

E mail: stdnt_english@yahoo.com

vswezie May 10, 2006 08:30 PM

Don't quit!

English_Student:

Don't be discouraged by the fact that you have trouble understanding shows like Friends, Desperate Housewives, etc. They use a lot of slang and humor that is very "American". Slang and humor are two things that are very difficult to transfer from one culture to another. It's not just a question of language skills! Instead of being discouraged, take pride that you can understand programs (like those on NPR and CNN) that use complicated sentence structures and advanced vocabulary!

shruti May 11, 2006 03:15 PM

Wow. I'd just like to say you speak English really well. I know native English speakers worse than you, so don't be discouraged - honestly. I'm a third-year Spanish student and I recently visited Spain - and understanding people talk is hard. TV? Forget it.

Anyway, if you'd like to converse, I'd be happy to.