Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Necesitar o neces (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3746)

tony April 29, 2009 10:29 AM

Necesitar o neces

In studying instruction beginning Spanish CD's, there was a conversation in which a man asks a women "Pues Inez, neces caminar en la playa un poco, o neces bailar?

I understand the present tense necesitar (to need) and its conjugations but where does the word "neces" come in and when is it used? Why would not the question "Desea caminar and desea bailar work just as well?

AngelicaDeAlquezar April 29, 2009 10:46 AM

"neces" doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's "deseas" misheard?

"Pues Inés, ¿deseas caminar en la playa un poco o deseas bailar?"
"So Inés, would you like to walk on the beach for a while or do you wish to dance?"

In any case, present tense in this case for "necesitar" is "necesitas". This doesn't make much sense either because he's asking about recreation activities, not something one would "need".

I hope I have helped. :)

Ambarina April 29, 2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony (Post 33497)
In studying instruction beginning Spanish CD's, there was a conversation in which a man asks a women "Pues Inez, neces caminar en la playa un poco, o neces bailar?

I understand the present tense necesitar (to need) and its conjugations but where does the word "neces" come in and when is it used? Why would not the question "Desea caminar and desea bailar work just as well?

Are you sure it wasn't "quieres"? "Neces" is not a Spanish word.

CrOtALiTo April 29, 2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony (Post 33497)

I think that the whole sentence is Necesitas caminar en la playa un poco.

Or this other one, Necesitas bailar.

I hope that can help you.:)

tony April 29, 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 33503)

"So Inés, would you like to walk on the beach for a while or do you wish to dance?"

In any case, present tense in this case for "necesitar" is "necesitas". This doesn't make much sense either because he's asking about recreation activities, not something one would "need".

I will try to listen closer and more carefully tonight. My hearing is not the best and the pace at which the persons on the CD's speak is sometimes very fast and not discernible, especially for a novice. I will let you know what I can discern tonight. Thank you.

tony April 30, 2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 33503)

Upon closer listening to the CD last night, the word used was in fact deseas, not neces. Thanks.